• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Snyder Trying to Change Image?

The Colts, Saints and Giants also have (had) something else in common that we didn't.

I'll give you three guesses as to what that was. :)

And as I've mentioned about half a dozen times in other threads. Both Cruz and Garcon had very unspectacular, if not non-existent, rookie seasons at the WR position. They are actually not the exceptions to which I'm referring. They are part of the fantastical notion about rookie WRs that doesn't actually exist, and assuming our draftees are failures based on rookie seasons is holding them up to standards even the guys we are trying to emulate couldn't match.

They had one other thing we haven't had...consistency in leadership. Both in terms of coaching, scheme and front office management.

It's amazing to me, really, that the chasm-sized difference between teams with franchise QB's, and teams without, is still so easily and often ignored in discussions like this.

That is all.

Preach it, brother.

El, we agree more than we don't. Let me try one last time.

I am responding specifically to the claim that our current front office is incapable of finding our own ... diamonds in the rough, gems, late round pro-bowlers ... whatever. I am responding specifically to

Unfortunately, we are going against the grain. We are signing free agents that were originally low round picks like Garcon and Morgan because we can't find them ourselves.

Specifically specifically to this part:

... because we can't find them ourselves

I see no evidence to suggest the current front office can't find solid contributors of Garcon's calibre in the late rounds. This claim is based on a) what the team did before our current front office took over and b) how our rookie WRs played as rookies.

Throw A out the window right now. It's irrelevant to what we do today.

B is also largely irrelevant because most rookie WRs are not productive relative to vets. Those that are are exceptions. Garcon had 4 receptions for 23 yards his rookie year. How does Bulldog know one of our guys isn't going to have a decent sophmore season like Garcon did?

I agree with you that we need to find solid players in the later rounds, and even the occasional star. I agree that before Allen and Shanahan took over we positively sucked at it.

What I don't agree with is that we can't do it now. Not yet anyway.

They had one other thing we haven't had...consistency in leadership. Both in terms of coaching, scheme and front office management.

Absolutely. I am not as high on the value of a franchise QB as some on this board. Consistency and patience are also very important, and good teams, even good teams without top QBs, practice that. Hopefully the Redskins will emulate this going forward. It would certainly do much towards helping Snyder change his image as a meddlesome owner.

Yeah Henry we do agree, and in my last statement I was vague instead of describing fully what I meant to say. I was in a hurry.

I meant to say I support what you are saying but still point to the fact that we just haven't developed any WR talent over a long stretch of time. Anthony Armstrong and Terrance Austin are the most recent example of long shots who probably won't work out for us. I think James Thrash is the last example for the Skins of developing a WR with success.

Having given so much for RG3 we need to be more successful with the later rounds. And the acquisistion of a couple of younger Free agent WR should help, but I would rather have had that cap money for OL and Lonon Fletcher (or Curtis Lofton) and a CB. I also realize it will likely be year 5 before truly know how well Allen and Shanahan have rebuilt this team.

And that brings us to what Neo said, leadership is the most important aspect of it all. And that was kinda my point when I started this thread. I think Snyder has turned a corner with Allen and Shanahan here. He is showing a difference in his attitude in terms of the team and in public opinion. At least that is my perception. Who knows? We might see some story of Snyder being all stupid drunk in the water fountain on Clematis St in West Palm on Thursday Night screaming, "Those *bleep* *bleep* owners colluded and screwed us!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.