• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Smart move or good sportsmanship?

CounterTrey

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Last play of the game might be one of the most interesting. When DeAngelo Hall ran back the onside kick and then slid short of the end zone the room full of Skins fans here was miffed but I immediately said "BRILLIANT". He kept Dallas from getting the ball back and although the chances were remote of them recovering onside kicks and getting a TD out of it, that made it impossible. I'm guessing it was coached and if so the coach (I assume it was Raheem) deserves props.

I've read others who think it was a move of good sportsmanship to avoid running up the score.

I'm gonna have to call :bsflag: on that one. Up by just 7 against our rival that there's actually some sincere dislike for from the players and we're going to NOT score there to be nice....DeAngelo Hall? Not buying it.

Either way I am going to enjoy the next ten days immensely!

It was a great move.

The win was sealed and how many times have we seen a player hurt on an irrelevent play like a kickoff? How would you have felt about that meaningless extra 7 points if someone's leg got rolled up on?

No, it was a great move. More, it was the anti-Bellichik move. You can win with grace and sportsmanship. No need for extra salt on Thanksgiving.

Yep, definitely a great move. Loved it when it happened. I will say I wouldn't have minded beating the Cowboys by 2 TDs, but that also could have given them revenge material for the last game of the year, and it's looking like that game might have meaning, which is awesome.

In fantasy land, I would of liked to get the points.

In the real world, it was a good move. And I don't care who's idea it was.

Funny how when LeSean McCoy does it, he's sportsman of the century, but Troy and Joe were mystified by it when Hall did it.

Edit: actually I think it was westbrook who did it.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually look at it a bit different - I don't think it was a smart move, or good sportsmanship. At that point in the game it was over - regardless of what Hall did.

Were the cowboys going to score 2 TD's in 17 seconds? No.

Were they going to get the ball back if Hall doesn't score? No.

I look at it as giving us a chance to line up in victory formations in their stadium. Which makes me happy.

I actually look at it a bit different - I don't think it was a smart move, or good sportsmanship. At that point in the game it was over - regardless of what Hall did.

Were the cowboys going to score 2 TD's in 17 seconds? No.

Were they going to get the ball back if Hall doesn't score? No.

I look at it as giving us a chance to line up in victory formations in their stadium. Which makes me happy.

it is kinda awesome to see your team inside the other teams 5 yard line taking victory formation snaps.... almost to say "we could have scored but didnt NEED to"

I agree with everything that was said...mostly tshile though. There wasn't enough time left for it to matter if he scored on that TD so it really wasn't a big deal. If there was over a minute or a little more, laying down to run time off the clock was would have been the perfect move. Here it didn't matter so much.

The run that Griff made at the end of the Vikings game was the perfect spot for this play to have occurred because we could have run time off the clock and not given the Vikings another opportunity, Griffin admitted as much after the game. However, I think the actual TD by Griff had more long term effects.

I will say this, I had been wishing for it all week. I wanted to see griff kneel down in victory formation to end the game in Jerruh's world on Thanksgiving Day yesterday and I got my wish.

It was the best Thanksgiving in my lifetime!

One of the few moments ever, that he had his head in the game.
One of the other few moments came in the same game.
Bryant was literally and physically beating him down, while on top of him, after a play, and if there was ever a time you'd expect a physical retaliation, that would be it. But Hall amazingly contained himself.

I don't like it. I don't have a problem with running up the score either. It's football, your job is to score as much as you can until the game clock reads 0:00.

There was no benefit to him scoring, but there was no benefit to the slide either, it was completely pointless. There was 13 seconds left when he slid. Had he scored, that makes Dallas need a TD, an onside kick recovery, and another TD with both extra points, just to tie it. In 13 seconds. In less if we squib it. Not possible.

I could think of a million situations where doing this would have been smart as hell. This situation isn't one of them. It wasn't a stupid move, just completely pointless. And I wanted to see us hang 45 on those assholes in their stadium :D

One of the few moments ever, that he had his head in the game.
One of the other few moments came in the same game.
Bryant was literally and physically beating him down, while on top of him, after a play, and if there was ever a time you'd expect a physical retaliation, that would be it. But Hall amazingly contained himself.
Too bad you can't say that for his behavior the rest of the game. He was the same old hot headed stupid ass, only caring about himself D. Hall.

I gained a measure of respect for DHall yesterday. We'll probably learn the real reason this week in a presser.

But it was so sweet to see a victory formation inside their five yard line. So sweet.

Too bad you can't say that for his behavior the rest of the game. He was the same old hot headed stupid ass, only caring about himself D. Hall.

I think yesterday he was more under control. When Dez Bryant and him got into it on the sideline, Bryant baited him when cocked his arm. Natural reaction is to punch back. Hall kept his attitude in check and didn't get the flag.

I was impressed with the onside kick return. Hall showed he was being a team player versus MeAngelo. Game was over and going down at the 2 was more of a slap in Dallas face. He basically said I don't need to score for us to win. Then RG3 leads us out in the Victory formation.

This play, to me, shows how much chemistry this team is developing. They are playing very well at right time. The players seem unified and playing for each other. Don't see the "me" plays.

I think yesterday he was more under control. When Dez Bryant and him got into it on the sideline, Bryant baited him when cocked his arm. Natural reaction is to punch back. Hall kept his attitude in check and didn't get the flag.

I was impressed with the onside kick return. Hall showed he was being a team player versus MeAngelo. Game was over and going down at the 2 was more of a slap in Dallas face. He basically said I don't need to score for us to win. Then RG3 leads us out in the Victory formation.

This play, to me, shows how much chemistry this team is developing. They are playing very well at right time. The players seem unified and playing for each other. Don't see the "me" plays.
Yeah, but Bryant only cocked his arm back because Hall slapped him in the head. And on multiple occasions, Hall would come in late with the hit of the guy on the ground, and immediately look for a ref because he knew he was doing wrong.

Yesterday the game was physical. Several times Dallas defenders came in a little late. To the ref's credit, they let them play.

After the sideline incident, there was a shot of Hall talking to Bryant. Both are emotional competitors. This time Hall won. Last year Bryant got him.

Hall is a talker and that is his game. Cedric Griffin in an interview was asked what was being said. Griffin replied he doesn't get into trash talking so didn't know. Just shows each player has their own style.

What impressed me is the way the Redskins players seem to have each others back.

I just didn't understand anyone asking why he didn't score. He scores, game goes on, he doesn't score, game over. I'll take game over - thank you. He had to be coached hard, he's still meangelo in my book and bitch slapping bryant earlier in the game was a prime example.

Hall is a talker and that is his game.
Which, aside from his idiotic in game decisions, is the main reason I can't stand the guy. He's all talk, and very rarely ever backs it up. Lucking into INTs a few times a year does not change that. He rarely gets an INT because of something he did. He gets super lucky - ricochets bouncing into his chest, balls being thrown right at him, etc. If his talent was even 10% of what he believes it is, he'd be a hall of famer.

Bitch slapping with no ref around. That means even IF a ref comes in he catches dez cocking his fist like a punk.

Brilliant move in my book.
To be fair, Hall had no idea no refs were looking. Watch him closely when he does these things multiple times a game - he always looks around for a ref after he does something stupid. He isn't a thinker.

How do you know what he knew?

Dez obviously looked around. How do you know hall didn't too?
I don't know what he knew. What I do know is what the camera showed - Hall and Bryant squabbling, Hall getting as in his face as he could, then blatantly bitch slapping him. The full thing took a few seconds to unfold, so even if he had looked around before the camera was on him, that's more than enough time for 1 or more officials to turn around and see it happen. Besides, DeAngelo has proven he's the dumbest player on the team, so there's no way he looked. He never thinks before acting, why would he start then?

Would it surprise anyone if Hall got a fine this coming week? Ultimately, I don't think it will happen, but the league is probably keeping a close eye on him.

Like someone already said, if he'd of scored, and one of our players had gotten injured on some ill-fated return of laterals, everybody would be screaming how MeAngelo should have just slid and not scored.

So please, STFU, and enjoy the win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.