• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Tag Brandon Scherff

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 14, 2020

REDSKINS PLACE FRANCHISE TAG ON BRANDON SCHERFF

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.
– The Washington Redskins announced today that they have placed the exclusive franchise tag on guard Brandon Scherff.
Last season, Scherff played and started in 11 games while only giving up one and a half sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl.

Scherff is entering his sixth NFL season after originally being selected by the Redskins in the first round (5th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. For his career, Scherff has appeared in 65 regular season games with 65 starts. Scherff has earned Pro Bowl selections three times in his career in 2016, 2017 and 2019. In 2015, he was named a PFWA All-Rookie performer.

Scherff, 28, played collegiately at Iowa from 2011-14, where he received the Outland Trophy, which is awarded annually to the nation’s most outstanding interior lineman. He also earned unanimous consensus All-American honors and was named first-team All-Big Ten for the second consecutive season. Also won the Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year award in the Big Ten Conference. Scherff was born on Dec. 26, 1991, and attended Denison High School in Denison, Iowa.

-REDSKINS-

So much for him wanting to work out a long term contract

Edit: Seems we may be looking to trade him after all

Last edited:
He wants big $$ far beyond what he’s demonstrated his value to be is my guess

We need picks anyway so better to unload him & Trent now & rebuild the line with picks. Sets us back quite a bit in the interim but getting younger/less greedy talent is better in the long run.

They know no one is going to cough up two firsts for a guard.

He wants big $$ far beyond what he’s demonstrated his value to be is my guess
They know no one is going to cough up two firsts for a guard.

Correct on both counts gentlemen.

We discussed this a bit in another thread. Brandon is starting to build a bit of an injury history and Guards, even ones who have made Pro Bowls, simply don't move the needle much when it comes to wins and losses. I liked the Wes Martin pick last year and I'm fine throwing him into the mix next season with Flowers (if he can be resigned reasonably) or Pierschbacher. We have options at Guard.

Don't get me wrong, if we end up coming to a long term agreement with Brandon that makes sense.....fine. I just don't see it as a position we need to overpay for. If we're going to spend big money on the OL it needs to be at LT not RG. Both Tackle positions are much bigger issues in my opinion.

Am I the only one that sees a tag as the end of the relationship?

Nope, I believe Rivera gave an honest try to retain him but in the end he wants to go elsewhere.

I’d ship him and Trent out with the first reasonable compensation offered. Never know, some team may want a package deal that solves errrbody's problems. I'd like to see something crazy like players and draft picks involved, 4 team trade stuff.
Unlikely I know but one can wish

They ran out of time before he was set to hit the market, so instead of losing him, they tagged him to not lose him.

The Skins did the only thing they could do. You can’t force a player to sign a deal and we can’t afford to be trying to replace half the line in one offseason. It is what it is.

The Skins did the only thing they could do. You can’t force a player to sign a deal and we can’t afford to be trying to replace half the line in one offseason. It is what it is.

I think they also wanted to get it declared because theyre close, but needed a final decision on the CBA. The long term money was in question, and that should be a lot clearer now.

It’s obviously about money. I think it will depend on how the new CBA impacts salary offers. But I’m on record as believing he doesn’t want to be here long-term.

Does anyone expect Scherff to to have a similar response to the FT, as Cousins did ?
Everything i have heard was Scherff wants long term security, whether it be here or somewhere else. The way it came across to me was that he absolutely did not want to play on the tag, because he didnt want to risk, potentially, his only shot at a big deal, on a 1 year, risky tag.

It'll be interesting to see where this ends up, I really don't want to break the bank on a longer term deal for him, great player, but not greatest player. What is the tag amount, about 15 million?

Guys have a way of telegraphing where they want to be.

Sure Scherff will sign here IF the Redskins make him the highest paid guard in the NFL.

But if his agent finds that say Kansas City or Seattle wants to trade for him then I imagine he will sign a deal for a bit less to get out of Dodge.

This is what happens when you are still perceived as a losing organization even as changes are made to the narrative.

For Williams and Scherff I think it is too late to expect them to NOT want to go elsewhere.

What we can hope for is younger picks like McLaurin and a guy like Chase Young will feel differently in the future working under Rivera and a new staff.

Notice the Caps seem to shock the NHL in getting veteran players to resign here instead of testing free agency for bigger dollars.

That type of loyalty is earned by an organization that treats its players well over time.

If the team goes with Young then MANY of our remaining picks need focused on o-line.

Turner will have to get pretty damn creative protecting Haskins this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.