• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes: Shanahan/RG3/Garcon

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
May 31, 2012
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On what he thinks of OTA’s so far:
“Good, we had some good work. Guys are working hard. We’ve got some competition. That’s what you look for in the OTA days, and, you know, we’ve got 100 percent attendance, a guy hasn’t missed, it’s been an excused absence, and we got a lot of people working hard going in the same direction.”

On the complexity of the changes made for the new quarterback and two new wide receivers:
“Well, the receivers, these players have played in the National Football League, so they are very familiar with defenses and the strain of the regular season and the competition of the National Football League and what it’s all about. So when you do bring a player in or two players in that have played and played well, it’s a welcome addition to your football team because they are better players that are proving themselves or you’re hoping they are better players that are proving themselves. Obviously, with a quarterback, there’s always going be the learning curve that every quarterback that comes into this league [goes through], getting used to NFL defenses, coverages, things that go with the national football league.”

On whether or not Robert Griffin III brings the “juice” everyday:
“The more talented a player is the more juice you have going to work every day that’s for sure. You’re trying to put a great football team together and the more players you have the better chance you have to reach your ultimate goal. And that’s why I think people do get excited, especially at the quarterback position, and you can see Robert can make some throws that most people can’t make. And with his great speed and mobility, we’re going to be able to do things we haven’t been able to do, that’s for sure. But there are some important things that will come along with it, and that’s just getting used to the position.”

On whether or not 100 percent attendance is abnormal or expected:
“That’s something I would expect if people want to prove themselves, you have to practice. You know we have nine weeks to get that in, and normally it’s 3-4 days a week depending on which week it is, you know, so you expect that. You don’t always have it. Some guys don’t come for one reason or another, but you’re hoping people do come because you’re all left with the same goal and I think we talked about what that goal is.”

On Jonathan Goff and Adam Carriker not participating:
“Well [Jonathan] Goff is coming off the ACL [injury] and I would say the next couple weeks I’m hoping to have him practice. He had his knee drained. He’s going through the drills and he’s got a little fluid in there, but it’s not bad, so he should be ready by the first day of camp and be in good football shape. [Adam] Carriker just got some blisters on his feet.”

On whether or not Barry Cofield had an excused absence:
“Yes, yes he did.”

On Tanard Jackson [not participating]:
“He was going to come back today, but he had an excused absence as well. But he was going to practice for the first day today, but over the last couple weeks with his shoulder and his legs, he wasn’t ready to go. But he’s approved to practice and he should be ready for tomorrow or Monday.”

On Robert Griffin III off the field:
“You know, he’s got the intangibles that you look for, and you’re looking for a guy that likes to work, enjoys what he does, and he’s enthusiastic. You know, he’s in there studying everyday and when you get the second pick of the draft he could be doing a hundred different things with all the demands that are asked for quarterback, especially in the first round in the first couple picks. But the demands are, I don’t want to say just crazy, but it is crazy. He’s got his priorities in order and he wants to be a great quarterback and he’s doing the little things the right way and he’s very sharp, he’s attentive, and, you know, he’s doing all he can to make himself better.”

On whether or not a coach has to love his quarterback and have a great relationship to be successful:
“Well, I’m not sure if love is always the proper term to use but you want to have a great relationship with all your players, especially the quarterback position because you spend so much time with them. You know if you’re an assistant coach, a coordinator, a head coach, you’re going to go as far as your quarterback can take you and you’ve got to believe in that quarterback. And he’s going to be the leader of the football team, and that’s one of the reasons we drafted him because it doesn’t take you long to figure out he is that type of guy. And, as time goes on we’ll get to know each other better and better, under pressure situations, on a day-to-day basis, but, you know, just like you people kept saying, he’s very, very easy to get along with. He’s a worker even though he’s very talented. He’s still an overachiever and you love to be around those guys.”

On the difference between Robert Griffin III inside the pocket and outside the pocket and his comfort level between the drop back and keeper game:
“Oh, that’s always going to take some time. It’s the National Football League. This is not college anymore and you’re not just running the option all the time, so yeah there is going to be some growing experiences there that all quarterbacks have in the National Football League regardless who it’s been. But he can do some things that take a lot of pressure, put a lot of pressure on the defense that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do.”

On Joshua Morgan and Pierre Garçon:
“Well, you can see [Pierre] Garçon, you know, he’s a big time receiver. You can see his power, his strength, his quickness, his speed since he’s been here. It’s very, very obvious. And Josh is very talented. He hasn’t practiced full speed all the time, but he will be ready to go by the time we get to camp, once that ankle heals up and he has practiced enough to tell everybody on this football team that he’s one heck of a receiver and he’s going to help us this year.”

On the health of Jammal Brown:
“Better, better. I think that yoga has helped him. His scar tissue, I think, is broken down. He’s a lot more fluid than he has been and hopefully he can play accordingly.”

On whether or not Brown’s mobility last year was where it needed to be:
“Yeah, I mean that’s why he’s working on his flexibility because you could tell he was stiff. He wasn’t moving like he did the previous years and he never recovered. So I think by going to yoga, by really working on his flexibility, has helped him get in the stances or be in position that he hasn’t been before so hopefully that continues to improve. He’s going to keep on working on it. I think he works on it an hour or hour and a half a day. If you work on that flexibility that much, eventually you’re going to get better or else you can’t play and he’s gotten better so hopefully he can continue to do that.”

On Trent Williams and Fred Davis moving past their 2011 suspensions:
“Hopefully, they do everything the right way. I’m counting on them. We’ve sat down and talked, and I’ve got the confidence in both of them. I wouldn’t second-guess either guy because I like the type of shape they’ve come in, how hard they’ve worked, and hopefully there [are] no disappointments.”

On Kirk Cousins signing his contract Wednesday:
“To be honest with you, I don’t even think about those contracts. We’ve always been fair. We know we’re going to get it done with all our players. It’s never been an issue here. I’m just glad when a player gets it done because he feels comfortable. Now he can start thinking about the regular season.”

On what has impressed him about Cousins’ performance in practice:
“He’s a very talented quarterback. I like the way he handles himself. I like the way he works. I like [how he works with quarterback] Robert [Griffin III]. They’re in there studying together NFL defenses, learning all the terminology. They’re not used to so it’s an ongoing process. It’s the hardest class they’ve ever had. There’s only one way to get it and that’s to work at it. Both of them are working extremely hard.”

On how defensive end Jarvis Jenkins looks after recovering from his knee injury:
“He’s doing good. He’s got to get back in football shape. What we’ve been doing except for today because I thought we were a little bit sore from yesterday is we’ve been working two fields so everybody’s been getting the same amount of reps. We’ve been working the heck out of Jarvis to see if he’s in football shape. He’s got a little brace on his knee, but he’s been taking all the reps and doing extremely well so hopefully there’s no setback.”

On the team’s interest in working out linebacker Brian Banks:
“I called Brian Banks up. I talked to him on the phone. I think when somebody goes through the situation that he went through, he deserves an opportunity to try out for somebody. Considering what he went through, just reading about – I don’t know him personally – I called him up and said, 'We’d love to have you out.’ We’re going to have him out sometime next week and then he’ll workout and we’ll see what type of shape he’s in. This kid deserves a chance.”

On tight end Niles Paul’s adjustment to the position from wide receiver last year:
“He’s really doing a good job. He’s playing [at] 235 [pounds]. He’s still running that 4.5 speed. Usually the big transition for a wide receiver going to the tight end position is can he block? We haven’t put pads on yet, but he’s done a good job getting in his stance and simulating as many blocking techniques as a tight end can do without pads on. He’s done well in almost every area.”

On the matchup problems that he expects Paul to create for opposing defenses:
“Anytime you’ve got a tight end that’s in that 4.5 range [who] can run like a wide receiver, the key is can he block like a tight end? A lot of those guys that can run, can catch and have that speed aren’t very good blockers. I think he’ll be able to do both.”

On kicker Graham Gano’s rehabilitation from a back injury:
“I have not talked to [Gano], but I think he’s close. I know he’s still a little bit sore. He kicked for us one day, and it didn’t look like there was any setback for him.”

On how Santana Moss has looked after slimming down this offseason:
“It’s the best I’ve seen him since I’ve been here. The first year that he came, he didn’t practice. The second year we had the lockout and he got injured. But he’s come in in excellent shape, and you can tell he’s ready to play because of the type of shape he’s come in. I’m just hoping he stays at that level that he’s at right now.”

On the timetable for running back Tim Hightower’s return from injury:
“I haven’t been able to see Tim practice yet. He’s biting at the bit, ready to go. I can’t tell you if it’ll be two weeks or three weeks, but he’ll be ready for the season. With running backs you really don’t know until you put them in a game situation. You’ve got a good feel. It’s a lot like the safety position. Until you see them hit, you really don’t know if they’ve got a sense for the ball at the safety position. [It’s] the same thing with a running back. Can they run? Can they protect? Until people are shooting at him live bullets, you don’t know for sure.”

On wide receiver Leonard Hankerson’s status:
“Leonard Hankerson will be doing drill work next week. The hip is healed. We’ve got to get him back in football shape, but he’s working extremely hard. He’s doing everything we’ve asked him to do. I don’t know if you saw him out there doing some drill work today, but we just don’t want to put him in there too quick. He’ll definitely be ready for the season. We just don’t want to overdo it so we don’t set him back, but the hip is healed.”

On telling the difference between routine new-year confidence and genuine excitement for a strong season:
“What you have to do – I’ve been saying this from day one – is have competition. You have to feel good that there’s competition at every position where you’re really not sure going into camp who is going to be your starter. If you feel good about your starter, do you feel good about the competition at No. 2 and No. 3? That’s what you look at, or at least that’s what I look at on the teams that I’ve been around in the past that you feel like have a chance to compete. You’ve still got to get lucky at a couple of positions where you’re hoping not to lose a guy here or there that might be the difference between having a great season and a good season. I like the competition that we have. We’ve added some free agents. We’ve added some draft choices. With the draft choices and free agents we had from a year ago, I like the makeup of our football team.”

On the accidental collision with cornerback Brandyn Thompson at last Monday’s practice that knocked him to the ground:
“I’ll be honest with you. Those guys didn’t think I could take a hit at 59. I proved I can take a hit. I did talk to the team afterward, which was about 10 minutes after I got hit. I do not remember the conversation I had with the team. I really don’t. It took me probably about 20 minutes, 25 minutes, to recover because I hit my head pretty good on the turf. I was fine, really, about 20 minutes afterward. I was fine.”

On his previous experience getting hit while coaching:
“It’s never happened before in 38 years on the field. I’ve been on the sideline a couple of times where you kind of get pushed out at the last second, but [I’ve] never [taken] a shot like that.”

On his expectations for the Redskins’ and other teams’ roster moves tomorrow with the June 1 deadline arriving:
“I think it all depends on how many players are on your football team. Most teams have 90 players or close to it with draft picks so you’ve got to evaluate the players that you do have. If you feel someone doesn’t have a chance to make your football team, then sometimes they’ll cut a player and bring another player on. We’re always looking to upgrade our football team, but we’ve got to make sure that person is someone that we want in order to make that change.”

On Chris Cooley’s progress returning from a knee injury:
“He’s been doing fine. No setback with his knee. I think he strained his groin a little bit two days ago, and he’s fine today. There’s no swelling on the knee, no setback there. That’s a good sign because he’s been working for the last few weeks pretty hard. That’s a positive sign.”

On Brian Orakpo being held out for part of practice as he returns from a shoulder injury:
“We just had him in drill work. He kind of had it get pushed back a little bit. We did an MRI on it, and it was no problem. It was just a little bit sore, probably some scar tissue in there from the surgery. We just kept him out of team drills, but he did all individual drills so he should be fine.”

On the recent changes made by the NFL to the injured reserve rules:
“I think what happens if you know you’re going to get a guy back within the first couple of weeks, you’ve got a chance to do that. It used to be the old IR rule that the last preseason game you’d have about six or seven guys go down, and all the sudden you bring them back in about six weeks. They wanted to keep away from that, but they wanted to have a chance to bring back someone in the first couple of weeks. I think it’s good for teams.”

On the discussion about pushing back the trade deadline:
“They talk about those things all the time. I think they’re talking about that relative to Peyton Manning. Maybe that would’ve helped a team and a situation where there was a lot of money involved. I’m not sure what direction they’re going to go there.”

On changing the offense to take advantage of Robert Griffin III’s strengths:
“Anytime you have a person that has that type of speed, you feel like you’re able to do some things that maybe those teams can’t do with their quarterback. A lot of quarterbacks are just considered runners. Robert has proven that he can drop back and throw with anybody in the National Football League. He has that type of arm strength. Everything else is a progression. You’re going to learn year-by-year, and each year, each snap he gets, he’s going to better and better. You’ve got to account for that speed. We can do some things – if it’s running the option, running the counter option, doing things that are not going to be the staple of your offense – that really dictate what defenses can do and can’t do.”

On the adjustments to the playbook to utilize Griffin’s running ability:
“What happens is that different things you’ve done in college, like when I was at Oklahoma, we ran the wishbone and we ran the veer – different things, a little bit what colleges are doing right now. Sometimes they do it out of the shotgun, sometimes they do it out of an option here. Cam Newton did a little bit of it last year. [It] keeps defenses honest because they’ve just got to prepare, and it makes it a little bit easier to do other things. The more a quarterback can do, the better chance you have to be successful.”

On experimenting by moving defensive backs from their familiar positions to new ones:
“You’re not really sure what an offense may present — three, four, five wideouts — so a lot of times you may have one linebacker in the game. You may have no linebackers in the game. Normally we always have one. Over the last couple of years we’ve had two. There’s a lot of teams that will have one linebacker in the game. These defensive backs, they learn to play the inside slot position so regardless of what an offense throws out there, you can matchup personnel-wise. When you talk about those things, that’s what we’re doing.”

On Griffin’s progress learning the offense:
“Next week, what we do is we put in a few more runs, we do our short yardage, we do our goal line, we do our two-minute, we do backed-up and we do our four-minute attack. What you try to do over this nine-week period is get him familiar with everything you’re going to do during the season or that you’ve done during the season. It’s overload on him, but what they have is they have basically a month to go back, if not more – it’s basically about 42 days – to go back and digest it, study it again. Even when they’re by themselves, they get a chance to go over and over it, and then we bring them back. Not only do we play the four preseason games, [but] we have all those practice reps. People just get more comfortable with it with it in time. That’s what we do.”

Quarterback Robert Griffin III

On if he’s noticed an improvement in his six practices with the veterans:
“Yeah, I definitely see a tremendous improvement, just with the team chemistry. Guys are out here. We’ve got a couple new pieces including myself, Pierre [Garçon], Josh [Morgan], a bunch of guys that you need to build up chemistry with the rest of the guys. I think we’ve been able to show the guys that were already Redskins that the new Redskins can help them win. I think that’s helped everybody go out here and compete every day.”

On if establishing trust is the most important thing in OTA’s:
“I think, as a quarterback, you have to learn the offense and build that trust at the same time, which can make it a lot more difficult. I think we’ve done a great job of it. Like I said, Pierre is definitely showing guys that he’s the real deal. We look forward to playing, but the season’s a long way away, so we’ve got to make sure we simmer down for a little bit.”

On talking to the offensive line prior to this week’s OTA’s and the importance of developing a relationship with them:
“Yeah, it’s a cliché, your linemen are your best friend. They protect you. I always feel like, as an offensive lineman, I wouldn’t know, but I think in the past, if you can be good friends with them and show them that you care about them that they’ll pass protect even harder for you. Everybody makes a big deal out of holding calls. But a lot of times when an offensive linemen is holding it’s because he’s trying to protect his guy and I’d rather them have a holding call than have myself in the hospital. I just wanted to reach out to them and let them know I know who they are and I know where we want to go. And I need them to do that.”

On if he plans to spend more time with the offensive line after practices:
“Yeah, we’re creating bonds every day with jokes and stuff like that. My family’s from New Orleans, Louisiana. I know how to cook beignets. For every no-sack victory, they’ll get beignets and I think they’ll love those.”

On how much he enjoyed the United States-Brazil soccer game at FedExField:
“I like to call that the real football. It’s more known globally, so it was fun. We were sitting and it was 2-0 and the U.S. scored. thought they’d get back into it. I’ve never seen a place erupt like that. I was screaming too, so I felt like a fan. It was extremely fun.”

On how the atmosphere from the soccer game will be similar to Redskins games:
“It was a great atmosphere. 67,000 were there. Just to see how loud that can get after one great play definitely makes you look forward to it. In soccer, 2-0 is like 20-0. So we don’t want any scores like that, but we definitely want to get the crowd into it and keep them motivated.”

On what percentage of the playbook he feels comfortable with at this point:
“I don’t know what I can say. I think, at this point, we’ve put in about all of the offense in these six practices, so that’s a lot as a quarterback. I feel a lot more comfortable today, whereas I didn’t know anything before I got here. I think I know at least 60 to 70 percent of it pretty well, but you can’t operate at 60 to 70 percent. You’ve got to operate at 150 percent with your offense because not only do you have to know it, but you have to know what to do in certain situations. That’s still to come.”

On how complex the offensive scheme is:
“I try to approach every situation as its own. Kind of like when I got into college, people said the game is a lot faster. Well, obviously, it’s faster, but I didn’t come into it afraid that the game was too fast for me. I experienced it myself as a freshman and adjusted accordingly. When you get out here with [London] Fletcher and D-Hall [DeAngelo Hall] and these guys, obviously the game is a whole lot faster, but if you know what you’re doing, it doesn’t really matter. It’s still football. We’ve been playing forever. I look at it as it’s going to be a challenge to get used to all this stuff and used to the offense, but I feel a whole lot more comfortable today. To me, that’s a great thing that I can actually go out on the field and look London Fletcher in the eyes and know that I’m about to go complete a pass on him. Don’t tell him I said that.”

On his impression of head coach Mike Shanahan prior to meeting him:
“I was a fan. Growing up, I was a Bronco fan. You see Coach Shanahan and know that’s the coach of your favorite team. So when I met him at the combine, you know they traded up for me, it was kind of like a dream come true to be here and play for him and his offense. His offense that I watched - John Elway tear defenses up. From the outside in, you’re just a fan. Now that I’m on the inside, not really looking out, but just on the inside and I get to experience who he is. What some former quarterbacks have said about him to me isn’t true. He seems like a great guy, really looking forward to working with me and put me in the best situation to succeed and help this team win.”

On if he’s the teacher’s pet:
“C’mon man, I’m not a teacher’s pet. I didn’t bring him any apples or anything. But I make it a point to make sure I see coach every day, and talk to him for at least five to ten minutes. You’ve got to have that kind of relationship not only with your offensive coordinator but with your head coach. So you guys are always on the same page.”

On being a natural leader in the quarterback position:
“I mean there’s no, I mean, a lot of people have written books on it, but there is no systematic way to go about doing that. You just have to do it. As a quarterback, the team goes as you go. You touch the ball every snap unless it’s a direct snap to the running back, but you’ve just got to be ready and make sure that you lead by example. That’s the biggest thing for me as a rookie, lead by example, come to practice every day ready to go, be here, work hard in the weight room and just prove it to the guys. And I don’t think I’ve proven everything to them because I haven’t played a down yet, but I think I’ve proved about all that I can prove thus far with all the practices. And just showing them the way that I work. You know, how I try to go out each day and get better.

On starting from square one with the receivers and the process of feeling comfortable:
“I think the way we are running, we are trying to get a lot of reps for a lot of these guys. So Pierre [Garcon] and Josh [Morgan] will get a lot of reps now. When we’re off, we’ll work together and continue to learn the offense. I think it’s the perfect combination of guys who’ve been here who know the offense, the Santana Moss’s and Terrance Austin’s and [Anthony] Armstrong, and all those guys that know it. And a good balance of guys that are just starting to get to know it and we can add our own flavor to it instead of just doing it the old way. I think it’s a great combination and I’d rather have it that way than me coming in by myself and being the only guy that doesn’t know the offense.”

On not having HBO’s Hard Knocks:
“We don’t need Hard Knocks that’s for sure. But it’s for TV and hopefully the show goes well. I’ve never watched it. The Redskins, I don’t know if I can speak for the Redskins in general, but I don’t think we have any interest of being on Hard Knocks. We’re just here to win football games.”

On if he feels more comfortable throwing inside the pocket:
“No, I just think you’ve got to take what the defense gives you. Fortunately, I was blessed with the ability to move around a little bit so sometimes in games you’ll see quarterbacks step up and they’ve got nothing but green grass, but because they don’t trust themselves running, they can’t run. But, today, we had a long run when London Fletcher said he got me on the goal line, but he didn’t. I’m always talking about London, but, it’s just something if I see it I can go rather than immediately thinking 'Would I catch the snap?’ But when it comes to throwing it outside the pocket, I feel like I’ve got a good feel for both. Of course, being an athletic quarterback, I can run, so people can see that. I think I’m more comfortable doing that. I like throwing in the pocket. I like playing quarterback. I don’t like being a running back. ”

On being outside the pocket:
“I think whenever you get outside the pocket, you’ve got less options. So, you want to stay in the pocket. I think you are talking about drop backwards versus keeper game. Yeah, keeper game, you’ve got a lot less options than the drop back. But with the keeper game, defenses also have to respect the run, so it can simplify the reads, but if they cover everything, you’re on your own. So I think in drop back if you do happen to escape the pocket, a lot of times your reads are all thrown off just because of the field distributions, so you have to end up doing something miraculous.”

On what he wants to accomplish next week:
“Complete every pass. I mean, that’s what we try to do every practice. I’ve never been at a practice, even at Baylor, where I completed every pass, so, that’s where I look at getting better. Not just getting completions, but being productive. Keeping your team on the field, that’s what you’ve got to do, so until then, I don’t think any quarterback has had a perfect game that’s thrown more than 30 passes. If you get four or five reps, you can complete all four of them. Getting 30-35 reps, it’s hard to complete everything. Until I complete every pass in practice, I’ll continue to work hard and make sure I get better.”

On his chemistry with quarterbacks coach Matt LeFleur and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan:
“When Kyle [Shanahan] is the coordinator and Matt [LaFleur] is the QB coach, you have to be on the same page as them. That’s why I think we’ve got a great relationship. I have to be the student and then a teacher, so until I know it better than they do, which I probably never will because that’s all they do every day, I’ve got to listen. I think they’ve been very patient, with myself and all of the quarterbacks out here working. I’m trying to figure out what’s the best way to read things and the best way to attack defenses, so I feel great about it.”

Wide Receiver Pierre Garçon

On Washington being interested in him and having the No. 2 overall draft pick:
“It was not much of a factor. It was more of they wanted me to be on their team and they wanted me to be a part of this organization, wanted me to help them get a Super Bowl victory and stuff like that. I knew both teams were going to get good quarterbacks, but as a player, it doesn’t matter what quarterback, you just need to go out there and do your job and play your game. ”

On other teams being interested in him:
“There were quite a few teams in the mix, but I don’t want to say any names.”

On the process of choosing a team and knowing who is in the mix:
“Before, at like 4:00, you don’t know who’s really in the mix until they call you. You know, the first person to call you really kind of gets it. But also there is a factor, an eliminating factor, of what team you really don’t want to go to, what team you don’t really want to be in, what city you don’t want to be in. But it was just kind of a first come, first serve.”

On free agency:
“It was overwhelming, you know. You never really know who wants you, but it is overwhelming and it’s kind of stressful cause everybody’s calling, you’re trying to please everyone and give everyone a chance and try to talk to everyone but it’s pretty tough to do. You just have to be friendly, it’s your decision and just live with it.”

On living up to his contract:
“I just, when I go out there and play, I try to play hard every time and make a play every time. Every time we’re out there on the field, I’m put out there to make a play so that’s what I really do every time I get out there on the field, even if its preseason or when I was backing up Marvin [Harrison], Reggie [Wayne], or in practice you know things like that. It was just going out there and making plays. The more plays you make, the team gets better, and they see the better you are as a player and as a team.”

On what excites him about Robert Griffin III:
“RGIII’s a great quarterback. He’s got a very strong arm. He’s athletic. He is picking up on the playbook very quickly. Actually, I have to pick up on the playbook and get better at that too, but he has a very strong arm and once he gets everything down pat, he will be a very dangerous quarterback.”

On Robert Griffin III’s leadership traits:
“He has a lot of leadership. He’s learning. He is learning just watching from experience, watching the offensive line. You know, we have a lot of leaders out there, watching from Santana [Moss], you know he’s a great leader. He’s learning, watching how those guys do it, he’s following the system very well.”

On yards after the catch and breaking tackles:
“I just like making plays, so every time I get the ball in my hands, I want to make the best play or biggest play I can. Just going down isn’t the best thing sometimes. It’s the smartest thing to do, but sometimes you have to go out as a competitor and get more yards, and push yourself to the limit and do what you can for the little opportunity you have with the ball.”

On the pressure of being a free agent:
“At the end of the day, its football. You know, anytime you play in the league, there’s pressure. If you’re a sixth- round pick or if you’re a first day free agent, you know it’s pressure no matter what. Everybody has their own pressure. Free agents just have to go out there and make plays, do this and give it your all every time you play and that’s all you can do. There’s no real pressure.”

On getting to where he is now:
“It’s a lot of hard work and dedication. You know you go out there every day and practice hard, you work hard, you know you do a lot of things in offseason, to get prepared for the season. You’ve got to lift a lot of weights and do a lot of things you would do for the season and prepare yourself for the season. You know its not just practicing hard for the season in the offseason.”

On the receiving corps
“We have a good receiving corps. We have a leader in Santana Moss. You know, he’s been here for a while. He’s been in the league a long time. He’s a great player. We’ve got Josh [Morgan] and [Anthony] Armstrong. Those guys are very fast and athletic. And we have a lot of young guys that are very fast as well and athletic, we just have to find a place for them on the team and get going.”

When I saw a piece last week on remaining free agent wide receivers possible for the Redskins, my first thought was - don't we have enough already :)

All those free agent dollars and draft choices.

It's time to start seeing guys emerge.

Free Agent Pick Ups

I think we need more offensive linemen pick-ups than we need wide receiver pick-ups. We are one drug incident or injury away from a bad situation on the offensive line. IMHO

HTTR!!!

"Well, you can see [Pierre] Garçon, you know, he’s a big time receiver. You can see his power, his strength, his quickness, his speed since he’s been here. It’s very, very obvious." --Mike Shanahan

I am surprised by how little hype he is getting. I can only guess that it is a combination of RG3 taking the headlines, and the fact that few Redskins fans watch many AFC games.

This guy is a freaking highlight reel. He's amazing. He and Santana are the two best receivers we've had here in twenty years.

I can't wait to see the combination of RG3 and Garcon absolutely torching corners throughout the league.

Who says he is ahead of Moss on the depth chart? Looks blank to me.

He and Santana are the two best receivers we've had here in twenty years.

I'd put Henry Ellard up at the top of the WRs we've had in the last 20 years.

As far as the depth chart is concerned, I don't think anyone should put too much faith into WR1, WR2, WR3, etc. The way this offense is set up, any WR can have a big game any given Sunday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.