• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/4: M. Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 4, 2012
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On the level of energy in the practice:
“It was good. Good practice, good tempo.”

On the scuffles that took place during practice:
“It’s kind of typical of practices. You just don’t want someone to lose poise and start swinging because normally they see the second guy swing and he’s the one that gets the penalty. The first one was just kind of a little bit of pushing and shoving. The second one, we had two guys who lost their poise a little bit and that’s when I called them up.”

On if he likes the competitiveness of the players involved in the altercations:
“You love to see guys that are competitive every time, but you can’t have guys lose their poise because it will cost you a football game. And I tried to share that with the guys that they always say the guy that doesn’t get the cheap shot but retaliates, that’s usually the guy that gets the penalty. And things like that happen in every game, and if you react and don’t keep your poise, it can cost you the game. I’ve had that happen to me many times. So it’s a good learning lesson when something like that happens to talk to both guys and just say, 'Hey, you can’t fight on the football field.’ But like you mentioned, you like to see the spirit. You like to see the energy, but at the same time there’s a fine line.”

On Ryan Kerrigan’s illness that kept him out of practice:
“I’m not sure what it was. I know he didn’t feel good. Not sure if it was a headache. I’m not sure [if] it was something that happened from yesterday…He’s a guy who doesn’t miss. If he complains a little bit to [Head Athletic Trainer] Larry [Hess], Larry told me right before practice, I said, 'Hey, keep him out because if he can go he’ll go,’ and I’m not sure exactly what it was, but hopefully by Monday he’ll be fine.”

On if quarterback Robert Griffin III’s repetitions in practice are meant to simulate game situations:
“You try to simulate all game situations out there in practice. That’s why you practice just like you’re in a game. Sometimes you might have a little bit more time than other times. Sometimes you’ve got to react a little quicker. Is it a three, five, seven step drop? Is it first down, second down? We try to put him through all those scenarios so on game day he’s ready to play.”

On if he is able to test out different throws in practice:
“It’s a time to get better. You try to put people in situations that they are going to see during the season and hopefully he keeps on getting better every day.”

On the improvement he has seen in Robert Griffin III’s ability to recognize coverages:
“This is the first week. We’ve practiced for one week. Three years from now he’ll probably have it. That’s usually how long it takes. It takes some time. Sometimes, depending on your supporting cast, it’s a little bit easier than other times, but you try not to throw all the pressure on the quarterback coming in. The toughest situation is drop-back third down situations and you try not to get behind the eight ball. What you guys, I think, watched today is a lot of second and 15, third and long situations that you’re trying to get a quarterback ready and he’s only had so many [repetitions] to kind of get a feel for the system, especially being in the first week. But we’re constantly going to try to put him in different situations to get him well-prepared for the game.”

On what he liked about offensive lineman Tony Moll:
“What we try to do is have a list of people that, if you lose someone, this is the first person you go to, the second guy you go to and he was part of our list. If we lost somebody, these are the two guys we’d go out and get if they’re available, and they were available at that time. He’s a guard, he’s a guy that will have to adjust to our system. He hasn’t been in our system before, so we’re looking forward to seeing how he plays and how he adjusts.”

On if Tony Moll will play against Buffalo:
“Well, I can’t say he won’t play, but I know he can’t practice until Tuesday.”

On what position Tony Moll will play:
“He’s definitely a guard. Jordan [Black] is definitely a tackle, but he has played guard at times.”

On how he feels about fans watching practice:
“It’s great to have the fans out here. I think they had a good time with the cheerleaders, the band. Seemed like we had some entertainment. You can see how many people waited until after practice. Some people were out here three or four hours and there was still a line to get autographs, so it’s great to see.”

On if Fan Appreciation Day was crazier because of quarterback Robert Griffin III:
“Oh, yeah. Those quarterbacks, I mean every year, they’re the hot commodity. People know that there’s a difference winning and losing for a franchise. And you can be one of the top quarterbacks in the league. That person’s going to get a lot of attention.”

On the kicking competition:
“You’ve got two guys that are pretty close, pretty competitive. And, you know, that’s why we brought Neil [Rackers] in because he’s had a lot of success in the National Football League. He’s beat out a number of kickers in the league, so he’s used to competition. And we thought it was good for Graham [Gano] to have to see how he would react under pressure and you can’t really tell what a kicker can do until you put him through pressure situations, which we intend to do in the next four games.”

On in what situations can he evaluate the kickers:
“It’s everything. Everything you do. It’s like asking me about the outside linebackers. It’s no different. It’s the same situation because they understand they’re in competition, especially at the kicker position. You only get so many reps during the week, so many kicks to compare against each other. And some of it’s kickoffs as well, so it’s a combination of everything.”

Reaching for even more street free agents in early August? I hope Griffin has a very strong amulet around his neck for the 2012 season.

a lot of those free agents years ago were younger players that had not really been given a chance to perform in the NFL. Bostic, Jacoby, etc. came to the Redskins when they were 23 or 24 years old.

Jordan Black, 32, and Tony Moll, 28, don't in my mind fit that bill. These guys have been around the NFL for a number of years and been evaluated by a number of organizations.

Maybe he's the next great find, but I still have my eye on Josh LeRibeus. From what I was reading around the draft, this guy lost 35-40 pounds before his senior season and played well for a single season before going #3 to the Redskins.

That's pretty high for a guy who after his junior year was way out of shape and hadn't been settled at a particular spot on the OL.

We'll see. These days a #3 pick should be a contributor for your club fairly early in his career.

On this team the OL has a definite need for ANY talent. We are pulling guys out of the marching band.

LeRibeus should talent-wise be heads and shoulders ahead of some of these guys.

Last edited:
a lot of those free agents years ago were younger players that had not really been given a chance to perform in the NFL. Bostic, Jacoby, etc. came to the Redskins when they were 23 or 24 years old.

Jordan Black, 32, and Tony Moll, 28, don't in my mind fit that bill. These guys have been around the NFL for a number of years and been evaluated by a number of organizations.

Maybe he's the next great find, but I still have my eye on Josh LeRibeus. From what I was reading around the draft, this guy lost 35-40 pounds before his senior season and played well for a single season before going #3 to the Redskins.

That's pretty high for a guy who after his junior year was way out of shape and hadn't been settled at a particular spot on the OL.

We'll see. These days a #3 pick should be a contributor for your club fairly early in his career.

On this team the OL has a definite need for ANY talent. We are pulling guys out of the marching band.

LeRibeus should talent-wise be heads and shoulders ahead of some of these guys.
Likewise, I'm hoping Gettis turns out to be a solid contributor.

Can we see the OL perform in an actual game situation before trashing it this season? Just for once, maybe?

I know there should be a veteran anchoring the line here, but we did fairly well toward the end of last year, especially in the run game. If Porky could have avoided a 350 lb lineman in a sprint, the OL would have looked a lot better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.