• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/2: M. Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 2, 2012
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On wide receiver Anthony Armstrong’s injury:
“I just think he hit his AC joint and I think he should be OK. We have an x-ray just in case. [Head Athletic Trainer] Larry [Hais] just thought he just bruised it.”

On safety DeJon Gomes’ injury:
“Basically it’s just a sore shoulder. We’ll just have to play it day by day, but right now I think he’ll be out for at least two or three days.”

On wide receiver Lance Lewis’ injury:
“Same thing with Lance. We talked about it yesterday. He has a groin. I think it will be anywhere from one to two weeks. Pretty serious groin.”

On defensive end Kentwan Balmer’s status:
“I haven’t found anything out yet. If you get a hold of him, let me know…I’m hoping he’s OK, but no we haven’t had any contact with him or his representative.”

On how linebacker Brian Orakpo has progressed over his four years in the NFL:
“Orakpo was a pretty darn good football player in his first year. He gets better everyday. I think he fits in great in our scheme. You’re going to block with a back, a tight end, an offensive tackle, and you have two guys like Orakpo and Kerrigan, it really puts a lot of pressure on the defense.”

On why Brian Orakpo is so effective:
“First of all, he can play the run. He’s very physical. He’s about 265 pounds, and usually when you’re 265 pounds, it’s very hard for a back to handle a guy that size, as well as a tight end. He has the power to push offensive tackles back to the quarterback. So he has a lot of ability. He’s a great worker. He does the little things the right way, and he’s always prepared.”

On his concern for Kentwan Balmer:
“Well, you’re always concerned. You’re just hoping he’s OK. He cleared everything out of the hotel and that usually means, at least my past experience is, that the guy doesn’t want to play football. But that’s not always the case, so I hate to say something. All I know is we haven’t had a chance to speak with him yet.”

On if they will designate Kentwan Balmer as 'not in camp’ to open a roster spot:
“If we don’t hear from him, we’re definitely going to do that.”

On offensive lineman James Lee’s injury:
“Just a little inflammation in the knee. He should be able to go on Monday.”

On linebacker Lorenzo Alexander’s performance after switching positions:
“What you try to do as a head coach or a position coach is you try to figure out what guys football is really important. Lorenzo is a great example of a guy that’s an overachiever. He wasn’t drafted, but he gives you everything every day. There’s some guys that are drafted in the first round that – maybe they made some money, maybe they’re not motivated, whatever the reason – they’re not here. That’s what you’re trying to figure out and put the best football team together. I think we have those type of guys”

On what he looks for in a football player’s desire:
“I’ll be honest with you, most of the guys have made a mistake or two that I bring in. We can talk about the mistakes they’ve made in the past, and we told them we usually give them a tight leash, that they do make mistakes, but we can’t give them many chances. They had their chance or two, but they have ability. They have something where you bring them into camp and you’re hoping that they step up and do the little things the right way and give themselves a chance to be successful. I’ve had a number of guys get a second chance or third chance and play really well.”

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ On officials being present at practice:
“The NFL supervisor talked to our football team this afternoon and the officials were there, the officials you saw on the field today. The officials are not going to talk to our football team but they will be here for the next three days in practice - I should say through Saturday’s practice - and get a chance to help us out there.”

On how closely he has followed the labor talks with NFL officials:
“I’ve been through a couple of these situations before with the officials. I really don’t worry about things I can’t control. I’m just running our football team and doing the things that we can do. I know that it will be resolved and you hope it’s done sooner than later. You’re always hoping that it’s for the better. This is a very competitive league. Everybody’s got a job to do. But then again, I am not going to worry about something I can’t control.”

On if quarterback Robert Griffin III’s interceptions were forced:
“Quarterbacks do throw interceptions in the National Football League, even the great ones and the ones that have proven themselves. That’s part of practice. You’re going to test yourself and that’s going to be part of the learning process every day. See what you can do. It’s very competitive out there and we’re trying to put players in situations that are game - like situations. When we get everybody on the sideline, we’re playing it just like a game to try to put a guy like Robert as many game - type situations as possible. I think if we do that we get him ready a little bit quicker.”

On if there are any teaching points that may limit those turnovers:
“Sure, everyone is so different. It could be a first down, third down, somebody is missing a blitz or a lineman or a hot receiver. A lot of situations that go in to a quarterback getting better, each one so different. I can’t even tell you which ones they were today, what was the down and distance and what was the defense. When you look at something, you go back, you’re hoping after you put your quarterback through it, he won’t make the same mistake again.”

On cornerback Kevin Barnes:
“I think Kevin has got great speed. He’s got length and I really felt like his best position is being the outside where he can concentrate on just jamming people. We had him inside last year playing the nickel position. It didn’t work out as well as I would have liked. I thought if he concentrated just on the outside receivers, his jams, and his off-coverage that he would improve. I like what I’ve seen so far.”

On Kevin Barnes’ jamming:
“When you’re in the slot and you play two deep, not only does he have the short routes, but he has the deep routes as well. Usually you get a guy that’s a little bit smaller - I’m not going to say more athletic because he’s very athletic - with good speed. But people have the ability to make the quick cut, cover the quick receiver and, with his length, we just thought he’d work out better with the matchup outside.”

On defensive backs being able to cover the slot:
“The more you can do, the better off you’re going to be, there’s no question about it. You try to get everybody in a position to play not only the corner position but the nickel or the safety position, but not everyone can do that. The one thing that we do look forward to is that everybody can play special teams. If it’s very close, usually the tie will go to the guy that can play special teams a little bit better than the other one.”

On how well defensive end Stephen Bowen did last year:
“It wasn’t a surprise to me, I thought he was the best defensive lineman on the [Dallas’] football team and that’s why we went out and got him. He didn’t disappoint me last year at all. He gets one-on-one matchups and does a great job. I think he’s doing a very good this year of coming off the knee, coming off the surgery. I don’t think it’s 100 percent yet. That’s one of the reasons why we gave him a day off yesterday. But he will be there. He is a guy that plays hurt and he’s very consistent.”

On when receiver Joshua Morgan will return to practice:
“I think Monday will be his first day back. He’s been better on the treadmill. I think he was up to 10 miles per hour today, which is a good sign.”

On how he assesses the fatigue of the team at this point in training camp:
“It’s camp. You’ve got to push through it. It’s not easy for anybody – players, coaches. You’ve got long days. You’ve got walkthroughs. They work out with weights in the morning. But this is a day that is usually tougher than most, but you can see today that guys were a little bit tired, but I thought they persevered through it. We’ve got a lot of leadership on our football team, and overall I thought we got a lot done.”

On the play of offensive tackle Jordan Black:
“I haven’t even looked at him yet. Until he gets some pads on it’s really kind of hard to assess anybody.”

On Chris Cooley’s play in camp so far after coming off an injury in 2011:
“Like I said, since he’s been back, I haven’t seen any setback at all. His groin isn’t bothering him. His hamstring wasn’t bothering him. His knee hasn’t swelled up, which is a good sign. He took off about three months which Dr. [James] Andrews told him he had to take off to let that knee regenerate and just take some pressure off of it. He did and he’s come back well.”

On the NFL deciding not to punish the Redskins as a part of the Gregg Williams bounty case:
“I didn’t even know about it to be honest with you. Not that surprising.”

On the timetable for offensive tackle Jammal Brown’s return from injury:
“Well, he’s going to come back this evening from New York, and, like I said, we’ll start going through the treatment and put him through conditioning drills, do everything we can to get that hip ready.”

On if he believes that the anti-inflammatory treatment will be effective for Jammal Brown:
“He’s in better shape. We’ve talked about what he’s done in the offseason. He was a different guy just with his flexibility going into the OTAs this year than he’s ever been. You could see how he could bend, come out of his stances, so we thought there was a chance for him to really have a great year. So, there is a setback. How well he comes back I can’t tell you for sure.”

On if the depth of the Buffalo Bills’ defense will affect how long he plays quarterback Robert Griffin III in the team’s first preseason game:
“Any time you’re dealing with the NFC East, you’re talking about year-in, year-out the best defensive front, the division, in all of football. You take a look at the sacks – by far the best defensive line pressure package in the National Football League. [That’s] one of the reasons why it’s always thought to be the best division. And so, we’re used to those good defensive lines so it’ll help get us ready.”

On how much he expects Robert Griffin III to play against Buffalo:
“I’m using that first team anywhere from 12 to 20 plays. Our second game I’ll usually play [them] a half. The third preseason game, I usually play [them] a series into the third quarter, sometimes I’ll get them out of there at the half depending on the number of plays. The fourth game you don’t play. That’s what I’ve done in the past, probably won’t be too far from it this year.”

On why Bryan Kehl didn’t attend practice:
“His wife had a baby today…Anyway, I’m not really sure how they’re doing. I know she went into labor, so hopefully she’s okay. Hopefully everything’s fine, but I haven’t heard anything at this time.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.