• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 7/31: Fred Davis

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
July 31, 2013
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center

Tight End Fred Davis

On his Achilles and if he feels like himself:
“Oh, yeah. This is day six now and I haven’t had any pain in it. I’ve been going full-go, blocking, running routes, cutting. I feel really good. Just the only soreness I feel is just camp soreness – just a little bit. Other than that I feel pretty good.”

On if he believes the Redskins could be explosive at tight end this year:
“I definitely do. I feel like our tight end group is pretty solid. I’m coming back, and then the experience that Niles [Paul] and Logan [Paulsen] got playing last year when I was gone, I definitely feel like the group is going to be strong. I definitely feel like with all the other weapons we have on offense now, I think that’s definitely going to make us a lot better too. I definitely feel with all the packages we’re going to put in this year for different teams, I think it’s going to definitely help us.”

On what differentiates the Redskins tight ends from other groups around the league:
“I think Logan [Paulsen] is definitely a good blocker, a solid blacker, and he can actually catch the ball and run down field with it. You got Niles [Paul] who is really fast, probably a 4.5 guy who can really speed down the middle. Then I’m versatile. I could do a little bit of both, so I feel like we have a total package of the all the guys. Then you got [Jordan] Reed now coming in. He’s definitely a pass catcher too, so it’s just adding more pieces to the puzzle.”

On why the offense is suited for tight ends:
“It’s very tight end friendly. I feel like a lot of plays, a lot of times the tight end might be the number one or two target sometimes and I feel like if you get open and you know the right way to get open on a certain play you definitely can make a lot of catches. Then when you got weapons like I said, like [wide receiver] Pierre [Garçon] and [wide receiver] Aldrick Robinson now stepping up and [wide receiver] Santana [Moss] and [wide receiver] Josh [Morgan] and those guys playing how they’re playing right now and [wide receiver Leonard Hankerson] Hank, I just feel like it’s definitely a good way for us to get open.”

On his chemistry with quarterback Robert Griffin III:
“That’s what I definitely feel – like we really started to really click a little more around game three, four, five, six and then seven is when I got hurt. As far as clicking right now, I mean we throw and catch, but I still feel like we’re not really in the game-type situation yet. He’s not really practicing in team and all that stuff yet, so until then I feel like I can’t be able to answer that question.”

On his anticipation for the first preseason game:
“Just catching the ball with full pads and getting that first hit, first catch, first block, full-go. I mean, that’s always the anticipation. I’ve been out for like nine months, so it definitely feels good to be back.”

On if he anticipates being given a day off by the coaching staff this week:
"Yeah, I'll probably take off tomorrow."

On if he hopes the tight ends will get more targets in 2013:
"I hope so. I mean, for my well-being, yeah. But at the end of the day, I think that as long as we're winning, I don’t really mind that. I think it's just going to be that type of season, with all of the weapons that we have, I just feel like every game is going to be different. It's going to be a different person that makes plays. One game Alfred [Morris] might have over 100 yards rushing, maybe 200 yards rushing, I don't know. And then one game Pierre [Garçon] might have 100 yards receiving. It's just all going to be shared. I think it's going to be all-around, and I think that's the way championship teams win. When you've got one guy always getting all the balls it doesn't mean they're winning or a good team. So, I'd rather it just be everybody making plays."
On how he benefits from a healthy Pierre Garçon:
“It definitely helps. Down the field, you guys see the catches he makes, running with the ball. When the defense has to worry about that, you might get a lot of zone, sometimes two people on him. A lot of man for me underneath and I feel that is definitely going to help me. I feel one on one I am definitely going to win.”

On if the Redskins have 'the best tight end corps in the league’:
“I definitely feel that we can be the best corps, but we all have to stay healthy and prove it. Unless we all stay healthy, we can’t really say that because there are other people that have stayed healthy the whole year. The Patriots, their tight end group last year – they really set a standard. We definitely have a lot to prove. We have not done that yet so we are not the best yet but I know we have potential to be the best.”

Yeah, this is going to cause contention in this forum...I think it should probably be moved. ;)

Then he calls Logan Paulsen a "blacker"...

On what differentiates the Redskins tight ends from other groups around the league:
“I think Logan [Paulsen] is definitely a good blocker, a solid blacker, and he can actually catch the ball and run down field with it. You got Niles [Paul] who is really fast, probably a 4.5 guy who can really speed down the middle. Then I’m versatile. I could do a little bit of both, so I feel like we have a total package of the all the guys. Then you got [Jordan] Reed now coming in. He’s definitely a pass catcher too, so it’s just adding more pieces to the puzzle.”

:) the perils of mobile site administration.

User error :) I'm the glitch.

In all seriousness, if Jordan Reed is catching on as well as the reports I've seen, don't count on Fred being a major contributor in his contract year.

To me, if Fred Davis wants to be an integral part of this team this year, he needs to learn how to be a championship player. By that, I mean he needs to learn to avoid making the boneheaded, inconsistent plays we've seen him make in the past. I'm tired of getting excited about his play one second, only to see a lack of maturity, discipline, or focus the next.

I've always been one who felt that Fred Davis is not the type of player you need around to win championships. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and decide to screw his head on straight in 2013.

Both Davis and Williams I think turned things around after their suspensions. Both were on track for the pro bowl last year and had it not been for the Achilles I think Fred would have been there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.