• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/14/11: Mike Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 14, 2011
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On tight end Chris Cooley’s injured knee:
“It’s always a concern. He’s been better. The first day was his worst and the last couple of days were a little bit better, so hopefully there is no setback after today.”

On if Cooley’s knee injury has impacted his play:
“There’s no question about it. It takes time to get back into football shape. When you do have re-occurring problems with your knee, it’s never easy, but he’s very tough and he’s worked through it and he’s helped our football team win… You never know what’s going to happen. All you can do is practice and try to get back into football shape. He’s done that and, at the same time, we didn’t know if things were going to flare up like they did over the last couple of days so hopefully it can get a little bit better as times goes on.”

On if Cooley played like himself in the Dallas game:
“You’d have to ask him. I don’t always think that he tells you the truth because he wants to be out there and play. He’s tough and he can do everything he possibly can not to miss. Any time you drain that knee and you’re dealing with Mother Nature, you never know for sure.”

On Cooley as a blocker:
“Well, he’s done a very good job. He’s always had a very good knack on how to handle people and I think it comes from his wrestling background. He’s very strong with his hands and he’s a natural blocker. He’s done a great job for us.”

On ways to stop turnovers:
“First of all, you have to emphasize it. With our football team, we just talk about if you turn the football over you’re not going to win. Take a look at stats through the years. The teams that are in the playoffs have the least amount of turnovers. Teams that have the most amount of turnovers aren’t in the playoffs. We talk about that stat every year. Every once and a while, there might be an exception, but not very often.”

On if he used a receiver or a running back to simulate Eagles quarterback Michael Vick:
“If you can find a guy to simulate [Michael] Vick, let me know because we’ll have him out there in practice for us. Nobody is going to simulate what he can do, but John Beck does have some good speed. Even though he doesn’t have the speed like Vick, he gives us a good look at the quarterback position.”

On if wide receiver Brandon Banks was used to simulate Vick:
“No.”

On moving Will Montgomery to center this season:
“Last year, you could see when we lost Casey [Rabach] and he played at the center position against Tennessee, you could tell that he was a natural both at the center and the guard position. We do have some flexibility there because Kory Lichtensteiger can play center as well. Since Montgomery did a good job, we thought we would start him out there and see how he did and he’s done a good job.”

On how much play calling changes if wide receiver Anthony Armstrong is unable to play:
“Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and you always surround your game plan around your players. If guys are out, obviously you go a different direction. You always have a game plan and you have to take a look at who is up.”

On wide receiver Niles Paul:
“He’s going to be an excellent football player for a lot of years… He’s a football player. You can see it on special teams and watching him every day in practice. He’s going to get better and better as time goes on. You guys will be talking about him for a while.”

On safety Kareem Moore:
“He’s doing a good job. I think everybody knows after the six weeks that we have the ability to activate him and I can’t tell you right now what we’re going to do. It’s sure nice to have a guy like that to hopefully be able to play… He’s made some strides. You’d have to test him out for sure, but he’s looking pretty good.”

(Courtesy of the Washington Redskins)

Fear, Beck's probably our best choice to simulate somebody who can run around with the football and still do, like, QB things, y'know?

On if wide receiver Brandon Banks was used to simulate Vick:
“No.”

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Fear, Beck's probably our best choice to simulate somebody who can run around with the football and still do, like, QB things, y'know?

Teams don't always use QB's as a scout QB. Especially in Vick's case, where he's far more dangerous as a runner than a QB. Or else, the reporter would not have asked if we used Banks.
It would not surprise me in the least if the Skins or any other opponent of Philly stuck in a non-QB for at least some of the drills, to practice dealing with his long scrambles.
IMO, it's pointless to use Beck as a scout QB for Vick. He might be mobile compared to, say Rex Grossman, or a stone, or Rocky Balboa, or William Refrigerator Perry, but there's absolutely no comparison between Beck and Vick's mobility. It would just give our defense a false sense of security from practice, by using Beck as a simulator.
Vick's passing skills leave a lot to be desired - so it's not necessary to use a real QB scout. Practice based on his overwhelming strength.

Fear, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there, I should start putting a smiley face in when I do that probably so I don't give folks the wrong idea. :)

If they wanted to simulate Vick's mobility I'd think of using Torain or Helu-they can duplicate-or even exceed-his speed and mobility in the running part of it. Granted Beck doesn't have the quickness but it would make sense to duplicate the conditions of uncertainty immediately prior to Vick making the last-fraction-of-a-second to run as opposed to pass just to give guys practice with somebody who can do both-Beck's probably as good a passer or better than Vick anyway.

Gotcha, Serv. Sorry my sarcasm meter broke.
Heck, if Clinton Portis could throw that well, maybe Helu or Torain could follow in his shoes, either in practice as a scout, and/or on a trick play ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.