• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Signed: DB Cedric Griffin

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
images

Profile / Stats

Less than a week after being released by the Minnesota Vikings, cornerback Cedric Griffin has agreed to a contract with the Washington Redskins.

Agent Brian Overstreet told ESPN's Josina Anderson that Griffin will join Washington with a one-year deal worth $2.5 million.

Griffin's comeback from ACL tears in both knees -- both during the 2010 calendar year -- was a remarkable feat, but the 29-year-old just wasn't the same in 2011.

He appeared in all 16 games but was benched down the stretch even with the Vikings badly in need of capable cornerbacks in this increasingly pass-driven NFL. He was cut Saturday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Um....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uY1zgfNt1w[/media]

Hmm.

Here's hoping the Skins are looking to see if last year was a bounceback year from TWO ACL's. Otherwise, this signing is going to be a field day for the "wtf?" crowd.

He was signed for depth at safety more than anything. Played hurt of all last season. Raheem will make good use of Griffin.

Edited to add...

Griffin and Aaron Ross were teammates at Texas - they are close friends. Ross is at Redskins Park at this time. :)

Good.

After watching that "highlight reel" I thought maybe he was RG3's fourth cousin or something.

Ahem.

Depth at safety?

I seem to recall Griffin being a corner as per Om's highlighted press release blurb.

Or is this an experiment to move him to safety?

Yes, depth at safety - but he could be sufficiently healed from his injuries and provide depth at CB too. He is not a starter though. That's what I'm hearing.

Look for Barnes to get some looks at safety - Raheem may move him over to this position.

Also, Byron Westbrook is not returning unless there is an injury along the way (and if he is not signed by another team).

I was never high on Westbrook. He didn't have natural cover instincts and over 5 plus years with the team never advanced beyond being a basic ST performer.

They tried having him return kicks and punts and he fumbled the ball in the preseason. They gave him a chance to play corner some in expanded packages and he was toast.

Yes, depth at safety - but he could be sufficiently healed from his injuries and provide depth at CB too. He is not a starter though. That's what I'm hearing.

Look for Barnes to get some looks at safety - Raheem may move him over to this position.

Also, Byron Westbrook is not returning unless there is an injury along the way (and if he is not signed by another team).

Assuming they sign Ross, do you think they are done addressing the secondary via FA for now and would then turn their attention to the draft to further supplement?

Might they still look into someone like Tracy Porter (not the greatest corner, but he has been somewhat productive.)

I wonder if the delayed outcome to bountygate is causing teams to take a wait and see approach with players like Porter.

Hopefully, we continue to move cautiously as there are a LOT of free agents out there still and you don't want to shoot the moon the first 48 hours and have nothing left for the unexpected opportunity later on.

Again, though, Griffin seems expensive at $2.5M.

For a guy coming off a serious injury and to be used as a backup, I would expect a salary around the $1-$1.25M rate for a vet.

If Ross is signed, then the secondary is set - unless DHall is traded or released.

What I'm hearing is this...

They are hoping to get a decent offer for Hall, perhaps a second rounder. Yes, that is a stretch, but GM Allen has a way of making the best trades possible.

Last edited:
If the Redskins can get a #2 back for Hall I will definitely tip my cap to Mr. Allen :)

If Ross is signed, then the secondary is set - unless DHall is traded or released.

What I'm hearing is this...

They are hoping to get a decent offer for Hall, perhaps a second rounder. Yes, that is a stetch, but GM Allen has a way of making the best trades possible.

Ok, so say D Hall is traded - what then? Wait until the draft, look into the current remaining FA CBs, wait for an unexpected release later, or some combo of all of these things?

Would they take a 3rd for Hall? If so, maybe they can package their 2 3rds to get back into the 2nd.

I would rather keep the two third rounders than package them for a single second rounder.

Unless we are talking about moving up to the first 4-5 picks in the second round, it's just not worth it as this team needs the depth.

I would rather keep the two third rounders than package them for a single second rounder.

Unless we are talking about moving up to the first 4-5 picks in the second round, it's just not worth it as this team needs the depth.

As I've looked at what's possible - I agree - keep the two 3rds in the scenario.

They are hoping to get a decent offer for Hall, perhaps a second rounder. Yes, that is a stretch, but GM Allen has a way of making the best trades possible.
If we were able to get a second rounder for D Hall, that would be the biggest coup of the offseason (minus the Rams trade, of course).

Have you heard anything else on the actual market for D Hall?

Good.

After watching that "highlight reel" I thought maybe he was RG3's fourth cousin or something.

Ahem.

I'm so glad you qualified that by putting "quotes" around "highlight reel", because if those are truly his highlights, I sure as hell don't want to see his low-lights. Wow. Over 2 minutes long !! He appears to suck so bad, that even a move to safety wouldn't help him. I mean, he not only can't cover, but can't even tackle. So neither safety position would seem to fit him.
Did someone say his poor play may be attributed to not being totally healed from a knee injury ?? I hope that's his excuse.

Cross Dresser. Heard it from Om.

Makes sense, because after watching that video, if I were him, I would be so embarrassed by those plays made public, I'd want to disguise myself, too !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.