• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Should this be an ID Theft or Security concern ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
A grocery store chain in my area has a deal, where if you get there "supermarket discount card" and then for every certain amount of dollars you spend on groceries, you get a nice discount at a certain gas station, when you fill up.
So, I went in the grocery store to sign up, and the clerk asks for my ID (driver's license) and our state's DL has a magnetic strip, and she swipes my DL and it's magnetic strip in their machine while creating the "account" for my "membership card".

In the past, grocery stores have never done that - you just fill out a form, with your street address, phone number, and/or email address.

But swiping the DL for just a grocery card concerns me, because the DL contains sensitive electronic identity information, i.e. it's connected to your social security number, etc. So it's basically equivalent to giving your SS # just for a grocery card. Which makes me wonder why they need that kind of stuff, just for groceries ?

Is this a reason for concern ?

Last edited:
Is it a Fred Meyers store? I know my wife has one of their cards and it has a reward system for the gas station as well. Def keep your eye on the checking status but wouldn't be too worried imho.

Yeah didn't even think about them being a Northwest only chain. I do believe the premise is the same tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.