• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan Takes A Wild Gamble--Cutting Devin Thomas, And Crunching The Numbers

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State

That's Joey Galloway. Or, more specifically, that's how many games Joey Galloway has been healthy enough to play in over the last three seasons before ending up in Washington.

Here are some more numbers:

That's how many games Joey Galloway has been healthy enough to actually start in over those same three seasons.

Seconds. That's how long it took me to believe Devin Thomas was a bust after we drafted him.

Now I'm certainly no Thomas fan--I never have been. Ditto for Malcolm Kelly. Drafting either of these two players was a huge gamble. But was it more of a gamble than actually cutting Thomas today?

Cutting Thomas has now left us praying more than ever against the injury bug hitting our receivers.

Certainly Shanahan is enough of a student of the game to know that he can't count on Galloway being healthy for more than half of the games this season. That's the exact reason why Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and New England all got rid of him. He's a crafty, speedy veteran, but his body simply won't let him get on the field as much as we would like.

So in the unfortunate, and very likely event that Galloway is once again out for a large part of the season, where does that leave us in the receiver department? Who would step in, and more importantly, step up to be our second receiving threat to compliment Moss?

Anthony Armstrong has shown potential. But enough potential to keep Moss from being doubled on every play? Enough to feel good about our chances of moving the ball through the air?

That's how many games Roydell Williams has played in the NFL over the last two seasons, prior to joining Washington.

That's how many games Mike Furrey and Malcolm Kelly will play this season.

And that's not even to mention the worst scenario--Moss being injured for any significant period of time. Would that make Joey Galloway our number one receiver?

Grab a drink, and get some tickets for the show tonight. We have a new shooter at the table.

Let's hope he doesn't crap out.

Hail.

Henry Ellard is out there somewhere...................

Probably getting off the couch as we speak, and heading out into the backyard with a football.

McD, you make some good points, but having Thomas on the team or not wasn't going to help if Moss goes down. If that happens, McNabb will have to rely on Torain and Williams, and hope defenses don't bracket Cooley. Ha ha. In other words, our passing game will suffer, unless Armstrong steps up big time.

I'm not worried about Galloway.

It's Moss I'm worried about. If he misses any significant playing time we are in some serious trouble.

I'm not worried about Galloway.

It's Moss I'm worried about. If he misses any significant playing time we are in some serious trouble.

Moss isn't getting the ball anyway! We run through what.....15...20...receivers in OTAs and training camp and come up with what? Not a GD thing other than a FA (Armstrong who has limited to no value in the red zone).

At the end of the day...this FO didn't do anything to improve/fix known problems at the WR position. basically...they took some steps to improve the O-line...a good thing...and that was the (in retrospect) obvious priority. QB was the enxt priority and so we deal off some of the future for Donovan (ok by me if he hangs for 3-4 yrs even if he does have accuracy issues). RB followed and there, at least, Torain appears to be a find. O-line. QB. RB....4 players.

EVERYTHING ELSE HAS BEEN A FA BAND AID. smoke and mirrors.

The reality is that we don't have a bona fide X, Y or Z receiver. The FO knows it...and so does every other team in the league. What the passing game does manage comes from Donovan's mobility and KS's scheme....and Cooley.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty accurate, although Moss is having a good year. 22 receptions, over 70 yards average receiving per game, on pace to have over 1000 yards receiving for the season - that's not insignificant.

I guess I would argue two things. Firstly, and obviously, there is only so much 'fixing' a new coaching staff and front office can do in a single off-season. You only have so many draft picks, so many FA's, and so much existing talent available. You also had major gaping holes at QB, O-Line, and elsewhere, to begin 'fixing'. Secondly, the first step in fixing the passing game isn't finding wide receivers, it's getting the O-Line shored up and a reliable QB in there. I think they recognize we need major upgrades at the WR position. We get a little more depth on the O-line, replenish our RB stable, and get a #1 or #2 WR, we're going to have a scary offense.

It takes time.

Only so much we can do in one year. We got a QB, we got a couple of guys to try and help keep him alive.

Oh,and **** you vinny for this situation

I guess one positive I see is that Allen and Shanny appear to place a much higher premium on draft picks than the previous administration. We aren't giving away the farm for players anymore. We obtained McNabb at what I would consider a bargain basement price.

That's very encouraging to me, because it means we will perhaps have lots of picks over the next 3-4 seasons with which to find the players we need to return to glory.

That's pretty accurate, although Moss is having a good year. 22 receptions, over 70 yards average receiving per game, on pace to have over 1000 yards receiving for the season - that's not insignificant.

It takes time.

sure does.....1 TD.

That's very encouraging to me, because it means we will perhaps have lots of picks over the next 3-4 seasons with which to find the players we need to return to glory.

they've already given away next year's 3rd and 4th. not exactly a Pats like approach to building/sustaining a youthful foundation.

the only thing I've seen this new FO team do that I think has long-term value (personnel wise) is rebuild the o-line. finish the job next season with a new center and at least one guard. Yes...having DM here is great, can't complain in terms of services rendered. but that is not the same as a long-term plan for the most important position on the team. kickin the can down the road as it were.

Only so much we can do in one year. We got a QB, we got a couple of guys to try and help keep him alive.

Oh,and **** you vinny for this situation

this situation goes back a lot further than Vinny.... :) ......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.