• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Severe/Extreme/Unusual Weather Thread

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
A "tornado" on the surface of the sun. It is about twice the size of earth and the "winds" are estimated at more than 180,000 mph.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0Kqd91xIE[/media]

they used to say you can get all four seasons in one day in Scotland

More like four seasons in one hour recently

The deadly path of the late April 2011 tornado in Alabama. It last for an incredible 380 miles - from Newton Co., MS to Macon Co., NC.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tornado-paths-from-space_2011-04-29

tornado-path-1-042911-600x405.jpg

tuscaloosa3-042911-600x405.jpg

tornado-path-2-042911-600x405.jpg

I would just be happy with some April Showers. Hate having to start watering in April. Plus, in 50's couple days ago and today low 70's and 80's by Monday.

What happened to Spring?

Need to keep America's Heartland in our prayers today. For only the second time in weather forecasting history, the NWS has issued a high risk warning more than twenty-four hours in advance.

More updates to come as warranted.

Yeah - all of Kansas pretty much under severe threat. 9/10 on the risk scale.

Any damage in the San Diego area or where you live?

Isaac is still at TS at 11pm EDT. It will probably strenghten to a hurricane overnight. Every hour that it stays weaker, the better.

Any damage in the San Diego area or where you live?

Isaac is still at TS at 11pm EDT. It will probably strenghten to a hurricane overnight. Every hour that it stays weaker, the better.
Do you know of a site as good as storm pulse that doesn't charge you a car payment to use?

I loved them, stayed on there all the time during hurricane season, then when I went on this year, they suddenly went from free to $279 WTF? I know there are plenty of sites, I just loved their look and how in depth they were, and haven't found anything that comes close yet. I mean, I understand going from free to a fee, but that much of a bounce is beyond ridiculous, and I can't imagine they've had much traffic since doing it.

The good ones do cost money.

This is a good place to start. Membership is free and there is a lot of info. on there. I've been a member for a long time. You can sign up for any region, but staying in your own the most is recommended. You can be a member of any group though and several are dedicated to severe weather. It takes a couple of weeks to get used to the site. Go through the tutorials - it is very helpful.

Don't get mad at the meteorologists over a blown forecast - that happens. There are some very knowledgeable people here - respect what they say.

http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/

wunderground.com is a good hurricane tracking site.

NOLA might be in trouble...looks like the storm will hit them as a category 1. It turned slightly right for a more direct shot which is actually a good thing; if it had kept going to the West, they'd have been right on the dirty side and gotten a lot more water. The fact that this storm is moving so slowly is frightening; its just going to sit on them and dump water.

The only good thing about this storm is that it might bring some much-needed rain to the Midwest.

It's finally a hurricane - but barely. Hope it stays that way or loses a bit of strength - eh, not likely. The northern quandrant has looked very ragged for the last two days and the eye has a lot of trouble with any kind of formation. The press. continues to drop though, so it is getting stronger.

Isaac makes landfall near the mouth of the Mississippi. The press. continued to fall until hitting land with 80 mph winds, so this will be more of a rainmaker/flood threat than a destructive wind producer.

Isaac makes landfall near the mouth of the Mississippi. The press. continued to fall until hitting land with 80 mph winds, so this will be more of a rainmaker/flood threat than a destructive wind producer.

Which, at least for NOLA, is the bigger threat anyway.

Houston told them they would not be sheltering anyone this time.

This dude is finally a TS. Press. continues to slowly rise, but this sucker contains a lot of moisture - going to be a lot of flooding. The good news is that some of the drought-stricken areas are going to get a lot of rain in the coming days.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.