• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Send the message

I wouldnt watch William Wallace vs Maximus over the Skins. Maybe I just appreciate them that much more because I dont live in the DC area any more and watching them live is not a real option but once every 4 years.

But I stand by my original point...Skins fans have been spoiled and now have to face that it isn't the 80s any more.

Why?

I don't see Steeler fans having to face that it isn't the 70s anymore. Or Giant fans face that Parcells left 2 decades ago. The Eagles and Pats haven't had to rebuild in a decade, they just reload.

Why should I expect to live with this sort of football team indefinitely?

And "indefinitely" is really the key word there. If we were talking about a couple of down years I'd be fine with it. But we aren't talking about a couple of years here. We are talking a decade since the last division title and nearly 2 decades since this team was truly relevant in the landscape of the NFL and there is really no hope in sight right now.

We have no reason to think a new coach can turn it around, we have had 4 hired by current management since they took over and the results remain pretty constant. We have no reason to think the current Front Office will do a better job of drafting or signing talent then they have done over the last decade. We have no reason to believe the owner will see the problem with the Front Office now when he has not seen it over the last decade (when no team wanted Vinny to even scout for them after he was fired by Marty, that should have been a clue).

I am not a sore loser. I can take my lumps with the best of them. I sort of have to living where I live, ya know? But I do not suffer fools gladly, even rich ones and if it takes me removing my monetary support from the team I love to get the owner to wake up to his own incompetence then so be it.

I have been rather outspoken about the deficiencies this team has displayed throughout this season. There has been much to dampen my enthusiasm for our beloved Redskins. Was I spoiled by the 80's dominance? Probably, but that does not mean a legitimate outcry for an immediate change to our current woes is unwarranted!!! It is less about being spoiled, as much as, we accept more from this organization and we will not accept mediocrity!

I will never have the passion for another football team as I have for the Washington Redskins! But this organization is a mess. I was watching NBC Sunday Night Football and was expecting very little coverage of the Skins since they are losing. On the contrary, they were headlined a couple of times because of the newsworthiness of the current debacle the Redskins' organization has become!

Mike, you mention that it could be worse, and you are correct! It could be a whole lot worse and the sad reality is that it will get worse! Hopefully, it will never be as bad as Detroit or other abysmal organizations. But, sometimes it takes drastic events to lead dysfunction down another path. It is like the gambler or alcoholic whose life has become a complete mess who reaches that point where all seems lost that they are capable of turning things around, rock bottom if you will. Well it is apparent that the Redskins are plummeting toward a rocky pit. The problem, like w/ alcoholics, those running things cannot see how desperate it is becoming. They need some direction and won't accept the help!

Like many others have expressed, the current state of the Washington Redskins is creating indifference. That is what is most disheartening! People just do not care as much. I really liked hearing what Henry wrote regarding the ownership turning the core fan base away as evidenced by the exodus of many at the other site who do not want team involvement because like with the Redskins organization they have turned something once great into something else.

I will probably not stop watching the games. I will probably go to the Monday Night game if I can get another free ticket and parking pass. I will not spend money to line Synder's pockets! I will root this team on and support the players that give their all week in and week out regardless of what the offense is doing. But Mike, at what point do you stop accepting mediocrity and demand something else?

Last edited:
It is either the Super Bowl or hate the team. There is no middle ground it seems with you.

Mike, that is a patently unfair and inaccurate statement. "Hate the team?", c'mon, man, I don't know what definition you are using for "hating the team" but it's not what I'd use. You've spoken of your "hatred" of the Cowbums many times and that's what I call hating a team-wanting them to fail, wanting them to get beaten, wanting them to be humiliated. The Philadelphia Eagles fans "hate" the Redskins in the same way. I want the Skins to win, I want them to have a winning season, I want them to get back to the playoffs-if I hate anything it's the poor management, coaching, player selection and utilization that pretty much everyone who cares about the team agrees have prevented them from doing just those things.

I, by the way, went to some of the Kansas City Chiefs blogs and read some posts before and after Sundays game-it's like night and day. The posts made while the Chiefs were 0-5 were savage-they were calling for heads to roll everywhere-now, the posts are more hopeful-including makimng a point of noting what they did well-success brings that out in fans.

Jack Kent Cooke was "lucky" with Joe Gibbs? First, Gibbs was recommended to Cooke by GM(!) Bobby Beathard who had on his resume taking KC to the SuperBowl in 1966 and the Dolphins in1972-73, in other words Cooke used someone with good experience to find a potentially good coach-that doesn't seem to be Snyder's philosophy-so, yes, I will continue to blame the danny for the Skins lack of success-including in picking or keeping decent coaches or "player/personnel" guys to run the team.

youre right. IM the one overreacting and making really bad statements. "might be better if we move the team to LA"...now there is a really good statement.

Hey look at the positive. Snyder takes Cerrato and moves to LA. We get a new franchise because it is a great football city and a new owner. Doesn't seem that bad. :new_idea:

Tough for The Danny to do that in DC. He owns the stadium too...not just the team.

youre right. IM the one overreacting and making really bad statements. "might be better if we move the team to LA"...now there is a really good statement.

Moving the team to LA was your thought, Mike. Nobody spontaneously said, move the team! You ranted. Somebody ranted back.

You came up with this notion that any fans of a team that doesn't move to another city should be thankful, as if not abandoning the fans is some sort of license to chronically suck.

Well, it's not.

I don't think that was a very good statement either-I, for one, would hate to see that. Frankly, though, I see it as highly unlikely at the moment so I didn't take that particular comment as anything other than a venting of frustration. If there were any reason to think that Snyder had any intention of creating that type of mindset on the part of the fans then we'd be in even worse shape than Oakland. Besides, even as petulant as the danny seems to be, I don't see him ever risking something that could be easily taken as an attempt at extortion-"give me your support or I'll move the team to L.A.", people think he's disliked now? My God, the bad PR from something like that would be seismic! Additionally, the Redskin/Dan Snyder saga is well known and I'm not too sure the city of Los Angeles would extend him open arms.

Besides, like Neo said, he owns the stadium too.

Got to say Mike - you may find what a lot of us are saying disconcerting and upsetting, but throwing out 'you're spoiled' when all we're asking for is a team that's consistently competitive - it just sounds like you just don't like being in the minority. I think maybe you've forgotten that WE'RE the customers in this relationship. The players, the front office and owner - we pay them to provide a quality experience and product. Believe me, having seen them up close, they would be the first ones to tell you 'its a business'. They hit us upside the head with that idea every 5 seconds. So if it's a business, and we're the customers, it shouldn't upset you that most of us are saying 'YOUR PRODUCT SUCKS SNYDER!!!'. I'm kind of stunned you find that viewpoint upsetting. This isn't high school or college sports - this organization sucks millions from its fans, they're getting rich from the relationship. That doesn't make them immune from criticism, or us whiny or 'spoiled'. It makes us customers. And the customer is always right Mike. Except in Ashburn, that is :) In Ashburn, unless he's happy, he's a 'hater'.

I was going to go to the game b/c my friend wanted to go and was looking forward to it (I personally hate the Eagles fans moreso than any other fanbase, so I dislike the Eagles games more than anything) but he's scheduled for surgery the next day......

now, I don't have to go and probably won't. I have a feeling this may be as ugly as the Spurrier Skins vs. the Eagles in 2003 (when the cops had to mace the stands). I don't need to waste my time fighting with Eagles fans either verbally or physically. I go to games to root for my team and I don't need some *** hole Eagle fan trying to shout me down in my house.

Plus, after last year when the Skins sold tons of tickets to STEELERS fans (another **** you to Snyder and his TO cronies who made me sit through that game with terrible towels up in my grill all ****ing night:tantrum:), why should I go through the hassle and harrassment by the Philly scumbags when it probably is THE REDSKINS who sold them the tickets, not just fed up fans?

Mike, I feel you. I LOVE this team with a deep passion. LOVE IT. and I know most of these guys here feel the same way. I mean hell, that's the whole point of BGO and the participation of the members to celebrate our obsession with the Washington Redskins football club. And while I only have met a few of you in person, from everybody's words, I can tell almost everybody here feels the same way.

But man, people are fed up. I mean really fed up. This team was hyped up to be good (by none other than the Redskins FO). Jason Campbell was hyped up to have a breakout season and many (me too:frown2:) had bought into the fact this team was on the rebound and would at least be a competitor.

They're not. Not even close.

And it's because Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato have no clue what they're doing. None at all. Today's presser and the absolute confusion shown by Zorn and Lewis about the current situation speaks volumes about the leadership from the owner down. And it makes me both sad and angry, that the Redskins fans like myself have to take this BS year in and out.

There's not much we as fans can do about it.

We can rant on the message boards. We can complain to the media and guys like Mckenna or somebody at the Post will eat it up, b/c it sells papers and makes hits on their sites by bringing in both sides of the argument. We can try boycotts, but it only hurts the vendors. We can not show up, but the tickets are already paid for.

But if it makes Snyder look like a jerk on TV, then hey maybe he'll eventually wake up. Maybe Tom Cruise will call him up and say "Hey, I heard you're a laughing stock on ESPN, what's going on?" Maybe......

I'll never boo this team. And despite the mediocrity, I'll probably be dumb enough to turn on the TV and watch the beatdown week to week until I come close to throwing the remote into the TV or my wife yells at me for cussing so much. But going to these games right now is hard because you walk into the stadium wonder what this team will do to screw up this week.

So while I get where you're coming from Mike, I'm with all the rest on my frustration and anger with this team and those who are doing nothing but running a proud franchise further into the ground. Hopefully, we'll all be around when this team turns it around and we're only talking about how bad we'll be beating the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys this week.

HTTR

Btw Mike - I hope you don't mistake energetic disagreement with your position for any of us not wanting you here. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's good we're not all on suicide watch, and I think even those of us who can't understand your viewpoint, admire that you stick to your guns and defend it.

Hope that's clear!

We're glad you're here brother :cheers:

Mike,

To exploit and twist your analogy a bit, it's sort of like saying,

"Man, it's great that you have a girlfriend! Sure, you guys got along great 20 years ago, and in the meantime she has slept and continues to sleep with all of your friends, beats you about the neck, chest and head from time to time, pulls down your pants in front of your co-workers, leaves the toilet seat down, never makes you a meal even though you spend inordinate amounts of money on her. But, hey, stop bitching, dude! How can you forget those glory days!! You're lucky you even have a girlfriend!"

I know that's not what you're saying exactly, but in some ways, the trauma that we now feel in the face of Redskins impotence is in many ways because they've set the bar high by being excellent and/or at least fun to watch.

They are currently neither, and haven't been for a long time.

aw, man...we're in Spurrier territory.

Man that brings back memories.......bad ones.
A classmate of mine got so pissed at that Redskins team he shattered his glass tabletop when we were watching the Skins plays the Eagles on MNF.

BUT...

the skins havent cheated on me. they havent left me, they havent hurt me, they havent abandoned me.

Dan Snyder has.

Mike, I hope you don't think I'm being too harsh on you individually with some of my retorts I've made-I feel you too, man-the statements you made that I quoted above are exactly how I feel-those guys in the Burgundy and Gold uniforms will always have my support...always. The coaches too-as long as thy do their job of coaching these guys to be the best team they can be-to be the most competitive team they can be. Same goes for the organization-like Boone said, we fans are the customers and we have a history of having a really good product-my beef against Snyder is in allowing that product quality-the quality of the team-deteriorate.

Tonight I watched, and thoroughly enjoyed the most fun-to-watch game I've seen this season, the Denver-San Diego shootout. I'm fairly indifferent to both teams so I took the perspective of "well, give me a good game that's fun to watch", and they did a damn good job of it. (Aside;Lanky was right-Denver looks really good!). I remember having that feeling about watching the Skins play-I knew it was gonna be good, fun to watch, and the Skins were going to be a tough nut for any team to crack no matter who they were.

I want to feel that again. But in the meantime, as I've said before-I'll always be rooting for the Skins no matter what. And Mike, I'm glad you're around for another reason-you help remind me to look for the bright spots-the good things that happen on the field, it keeps me away from hopelessness, and I appreciate it a lot.:)

Hail to the Redskins!:thumbsup:

Btw Mike - I hope you don't mistake energetic disagreement with your position for any of us not wanting you here. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's good we're not all on suicide watch, and I think even those of us who can't understand your viewpoint, admire that you stick to your guns and defend it.

Hope that's clear!

We're glad you're here brother :cheers:

Absolutely.

Hard to call this fan base spoiled when we're the reason that there has never been a blackout. The Redskins have the largest stadium in the NFL for a reason. We're willing to pay hard earned dough to support this team. No franchise makes more money on an annual basis than the Redskins. Snyder wouldn't be able to paint that stadium with corporate signs if those corporations didn't want to get our attention.

As Sarge mentioned, less fans at the games, less concession sold, less parking, etc. In a recession with a possible work stoppage on the horizon you can be sure that's something that Snyder will have to take into consideration. They were calling people who gave up season tickets this offseason up until very close to the season opener. They are clearly already feeling some pressure.

I think frustrated is more appropriate than spoiled. I'll never stray from the B&G, but I can't possibly support the current power structure of the franchise. The sooner Snyder hears our voices the sooner he may decide to do something proactive and positive about it. Easy for me to say, though. I'm in another country and my season tickets were sold before the season started.

Thing is, Monday night wil be the perfect night to bring pressure to bear on the danny. It's already a Beeotch to go to a Monday night game. Most people don't get home until after midnight, some even later. That usually means a day off work on Tuesday. Plus putting up with Filthy fans that the danny will sell tickets to.

Add to the fact that we'll probably get stomped on by the second quarter national TV, the announcers will have nothing to talk about except except empty seats and the sorry state of the team

Send the message

I was born in 1967 and vaguely remember the 1972 team, I enjoyed as a kid watching games with my Dad at RFk. When I was teenager the skins were on fire, they ruined my 1983 Birthday - superbowl was a few days from my birthday figured two in arow, but we all know what happend. And man going to college being a Skins fan from 1986-1991 was awsome - win the SB in 1991.

My son was born in 1990 and we had Sam Sunny and Frank wish him a happy first birthday during the 1991 season, we have the game recorded with the radio over it.
I feel so sorry for my son all he has know is bad football with a little bit of good now and then.

You would think Snyder would recognize this and I really thought that the Monk/Green hall of fame ceremony would have made him see what loyal fans can do for him and his team. If he puts a real product out there man this town will buy anything with a Skins logo on it.

But since then it has been clouds and then a ray of light every now and then.

I was and always will be a huge fan, however I will never attend a game at FED EX until this team becomes a real NFL orgianization, not a play thing for Snyder.

If things continue like they are there will be black outs and there will be massive income drops by this team.

What the Snyder needs is a kick in the rear like the Giants got when they were soo bad from the commisoner.

The NFL cannot afford to have the skins be a bottom feeder in the league they make so much cash for them, and if this drys up the league will have to step in. But I hope Snyder wakes up before then.

Tom

Hey, I know you guys are just expressing how you feel. I actually look forward to logging on here and seeing people react to my statements because I know its about what I said and not me. My skin is thick and my love for the B&G is strong.
:cheers:

Mike,
Keep up the faith.
In the end we all want to see this team great again.
I want to see FedEx rock RFK style in my lifetime.
That is my goal.....and yes, I plan to be there when that day comes:)

I understand how you or lots of other folks might see my comment about moving the team that way and quite frankly, I think it's a fair assessment.

However, contrary to what was said later about it, it wasn't something I said out of frustration or in the heat of the moment. Instead, it's a position I came to after some thought. I think Snyder is somewhere between a toxic boss and a nut case. After mulling over all the pros and cons, I kept coming to the conclusion that the tradeoff of being shut of Snyder at the expense of not having a team for several years would still work out in our favor. Of course, that only holds true if and only if D.C. keeps the team name, trophies and identity.

As I said though, I can certainly understand how many, probably most, wouldn't be willing to make that tradeoff. However I tend to be a "clean slate" guy and a calculated risk taker. Therefore, I can see how a position that makes perfectly good sense to me, might to others seem completely foolish. I'm OK with that.
...the skins havent cheated on me. they havent left me, they havent hurt me, they havent abandoned me.

Dan Snyder has. So while I can see the hatred towards him I can't towards the B&G. Even when it was Robiske, Spurrier and whoever else I have always loved my skins and supported them.
Truer words were never spoken. That's why I'm not leaving the team either. However, just as a parent disciplines a recalcitrant child, we have to discipline Snyder. Unfortunately, the only way to even come close to doing that is by removing support and $$$ from the team. It certainly sucks, but that's the hand we've been dealt.

Finally, and very much off-topic but... I hereby nominate 33 for coolest BGO handle.
happy0147.gif

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.