• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

same old patterns

Take a look at the upcoming schedule over the next few weeks - we have some games where it could get very ugly. If it goes accordingly, the coaches need to look at this team as a rebuilding project. We have the QB and a few young stars. All along, I've thought that we are an 8-8 team this season - even after Dallas.

Over the next two or three years, we need new bodies at RB, C, RG, LG, FB, WR, DL, LB, CB, and FS. That's a lot, but it can be done.

AND QB!!!!!! by the time this team gets to be competitive we need the next QB to have been in the system 2-3 yrs.

Take a look at the upcoming schedule over the next few weeks - we have some games where it could get very ugly. If it goes accordingly, the coaches need to look at this team as a rebuilding project. We have the QB and a few young stars. All along, I've thought that we are an 8-8 team this season - even after Dallas.

Over the next two or three years, we need new bodies at RB, C, RG, LG, FB, WR, DL, LB, CB, and FS. That's a lot, but it can be done.

The most discouraging part of my previous statement is that our next 3 games are rough, then we play Chicago who looks like a better team than last year. I guess I bought into a "Wild Card" team with our performances in the first 2 games.

Once again this team puts the yoke on me!

But a lot of it has to do with imposing two entirely new schemes on existing players and bringing in a lot of brand new ones. I know that's not satisfying, but it's a reality.

So then why not ditch the 3-4 for this season or at least play more 4-3 in certain situations? The current scheme sucks. Teams will dink-and-dunk us to death because we don't have enough guys on the line to get our hands up in the air to make QB's throw OVER the line or potentially knock down passes, or to stop teams on short yardage.

The Rams just did the same exact thing the Texans did. The book has now been written on our defense and we'll be exploited the same way each week until we learn how to stop it.

Fair warning: My self imposed moratorium on making posts critical of the Redskins ends tomorrow.

Until then, I have to give props to Gano for stepping in and punting the ball well for us. And our backup holder did a bang-up job.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Fair warning: My self imposed moratorium on making posts critical of the Redskins ends tomorrow.

Until then, I have to give props to Gano for stepping in and punting the ball well for us. And our backup holder did a bang-up job.

lol! I was gonna give it a whole season before going high and right. but man o man...I expected some progress. this stuff is like a broken record. it all gets back to the top - and personnel mismanagement for over a decade. the only thing that surprises me is how deep the roster problems truly run. I kinda bought into the pre-season hype about having good...if not championship...talent. this is playing out much worse than I thought it would.

The offense looks a lot better to me but you didn't notice it as much today because the Rams held the ball so long. Look at their scoring drives and you'll see 10-12 plays or more. Their dink-and-dunk kept moving the ball, ate up and clock and kept our scoring opportunities down. :(

It's tomorrow in Europe. Start those criticisms a bit early. Get it out of your system.

Talk about Hunter the Punter if you want to. :biggrin2:

I don't think it's quite as bad as some of us are making it out to be. The good news is that the Lambs are not as bad a team as many of us thought they were. The bad news is that the Skins are almost as bad as we thought the Lambs are.

So we have some holes. Who didn't know that going in? Some of us, me included, bought the hype. However it turns out the holes are bigger than we thought. I guess Snyderatto screwed us harder than we knew so it's just going to take more time than originally thought. Just don't underestimate the impact two or three improvements can make. A faster RB, a bigger/better C, and another WR, and/or FS plus another year in the system and we could be a LOT better in short order.

I don't think it's quite as bad as some of us are making it out to be. The good news is that the Lambs are not as bad a team as many of us thought they were. The bad news is that the Skins are almost as bad as we thought the Lambs are.

So we have some holes. Who didn't know that going in? Some of us, me included, bought the hype. However it turns out the holes are bigger than we thought. I guess Snyderatto screwed us harder than we knew so it's just going to take more time than originally thought. Just don't underestimate the impact two or three improvements can make. A faster RB, a bigger/better C, and another WR, and/or FS plus another year in the system and we could be a LOT better in short order.

It's one thing to implement a new defense, but there comes a time when you play with the hand you are dealt. We have 4-3 players and you can't make 3-4 players out of the roster we had. We lack a dominant NT. Haynesworth could probably place this position, but doesn't want to.

A smart coach plays to strength of players he has. Prime example is Gibbs in his first year here. He came from San Diego and Air Correyll, but the Redskins were destined to be a running team. Gibbs adjusted. Time for our coaches to do the same.

Today the Rams played like we played in the first game. They game out sky high and playing to win. We played like we expected them to lay down.

There is certainly a pattern, and I've pointed it out before, but it's different than what the OP is seeing. It's creating what you see on the field:

Norv Turner. Innovative offensive head coach.
Schottenwhatever. Old school
Spurrier. Pitch and catch pass happy offense
Gibbs. Old school
Zorn. Not really sure what the hell this was. Big line and 4-3 defense
Shanahan. Zone blocking. 3-4 defense

We keep changing up the basics all the time. So we have a roster full of players that don't fit. Add to this the fact that the team continues to put off rebuilding and continues to trade draft picks and you have the product you have on the field right now.

This team needs to trade FOR draft picks and rebuild for two seasons at least. They need to decide on an identity and not change it for a long time. The natural progression here is Sr to Jr (Kyle) so we have a chance to have the same everything for a long time. If they like like the 3-4 they need to stay with it for the long haul.

Build for the systems and stop changing everything. It will produce results eventually.

Ok, it's midnight.

Actually, I think it is. I think this is a pretty standard Redskin "how the heck did we lose to THOSE guys?" game. I mean it's not like this is something we haven't seen before. We've seen this song and dance and we know exactly how bad it is.

My hope, based on the Cowboy win, had been that our upgraded coaching staff would be able to cover the big holes on this team until such time as we could fill them. I think that's probably not the case now. I think the Cowboy win was probably more the Cowboys sleepwalking through the first few weeks of the season more than anything we did.

So we have some holes. Who didn't know that going in? Some of us, me included, bought the hype. However it turns out the holes are bigger than we thought. I guess Snyderatto screwed us harder than we knew so it's just going to take more time than originally thought.

More time we do not have. Our QB will be 34 in a month. Santana Moss is 31. Clinton Portis is an old 29. Chris Cooley is 28. With the exception of Fred Davis that's the entire list of anyone who's worth a lick at the skill positions on this team. The average age of our starting OL is 29.2 including Williams. And that's the side of the ball that isn't positively horrid. This team was supposedly built to win immediately ... or at least to not suck immediately ... or at the very least this team was built to beat teams like the Rams.

Just don't underestimate the impact two or three improvements can make. A faster RB, a bigger/better C, and another WR, and/or FS plus another year in the system and we could be a LOT better in short order.

And let's not overestimate the impact two or three improvements can make. We've been two or three improvements away from greatness for the past ten years. I said it all last offseason, and I said it all this offseason, and I'll be saying all next offseason until I'm blue in the face, this team is not a few holes away from anything. We need to stop chasing windmills, stop trading away our draft picks and start building something real here. Otherwise, I don't see us ever putting together a consistent winner, ever.

I think this is a horrible loss. Especially when you take into consideration our upcoming opponents. The Eagles, Packers, Colts, and Bears are going to put up a ton of points on us. Today's play was embarrasing. It is more of the same from this bunch.

I was trying to stay optomistic about this season, but like the Skins defense, I am failing. Once again, we allow a young QB to throw against us at will. I do not have one positive thing to say about the defense other than, yay! no one got hurt. Also, kudos to Reed.

Does anyone think McNabb will stay if we cannot even contend this year? If this continues, I think he will be gone, depending on whether or not he new CBA allows franchise tags.

Unfortunately, the decision to switch to the 3-4 is worse than I feared. I knew we'd fall off, quite a bit initially, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Worst defense in the NFL. And don't blame Haslett. It's Shanny's baby.

So then, it's back to hope. It's all we got.

Zero confidence we'll win in October. Though I hope we can.

Of course, like my dear old Daddy says...
"Hope in one hand, and **** in the other. See which one fills up first."

Worst defense in the NFL.

Oh, already said that.

But hey! We do have a "real GM".

This team was supposedly built to win immediately ... or at least to not suck immediately ... or at the very least this team was built to beat teams like the Rams.

You didn't really believe that, did you? I said it before the season started............we just don't have that much talent.

That's what is confusing me about the danny this year. We have a potential uncapped year and he hasn't spent a dime, so to speak. For years he's tried to buy a team, and yet this year, when the opportunity is here, he's gone AWOL

There is certainly a pattern, and I've pointed it out before, but it's different than what the OP is seeing. It's creating what you see on the field:

Norv Turner. Innovative offensive head coach.
Schottenwhatever. Old school
Spurrier. Pitch and catch pass happy offense
Gibbs. Old school
Zorn. Not really sure what the hell this was. Big line and 4-3 defense
Shanahan. Zone blocking. 3-4 defense

We keep changing up the basics all the time. So we have a roster full of players that don't fit. Add to this the fact that the team continues to put off rebuilding and continues to trade draft picks and you have the product you have on the field right now.

This team needs to trade FOR draft picks and rebuild for two seasons at least. They need to decide on an identity and not change it for a long time. The natural progression here is Sr to Jr (Kyle) so we have a chance to have the same everything for a long time. If they like like the 3-4 they need to stay with it for the long haul.

Build for the systems and stop changing everything. It will produce results eventually.

I was looking at what we have on the field now. but I couldn't agree more with your longer-term analysis. and we all know where that path leads.

Agreed. But do we switch back to the 4-3 for this year and play the 3-4 when we get a few more players? Didn't Haslett say we'd play both this year at times?

Agreed. But do we switch back to the 4-3 for this year and play the 3-4 when we get a few more players? Didn't Haslett say we'd play both this year at times?
The only thing that would make things worse, would be to abandon the 3-4 now. They did play some 4-3 yesterday, with no change in result.

They chose this path. Stick to it. Green Bay suffered mightily early on when they made the switch to the 3-4. By years end, they were pretty good. We can only hope for the same.

It's gonna be painful to watch.

October looks to be a dreadful month.

I hope I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.