• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Russian family goes 40 years without human contact

Yeah, I figured that would be part of it.

But reading it gave me the reality shock that:
a - yes, you indeed can make it on your own, even in the harsh environment of northern russia
b - it is really, really, really hard.

they went about 20 years eating nuts and berries, and whatever one of them could 'hunt' for. by hunt I mean chase an animal for miles through snow with no clothes and bark for shoes, until the animal is exhausted (or trap it, if you were lucky enough).

Wow, I'm a wuss. I couldn't do that.

I spent several months in Madagascar and eventually started getting frustrated that my french wasn't great and my malagasy was zilch. I missed speaking english to people...so whenever a new ex-pat came along who spoke minimal English, I was all over him/her, lol. I remember watching this idiotic Ashton Kutcher movie I had on my computer about 50 times just so I could hear fluent English. Pathetic.

So, based on the fact that I started going crazy not being able to properly communicate with people surrounding me...I'm pretty confident I'd go bonkers without human interaction or luxuries you have available to you because of the work of other humans.

Seriously, not aware of WWII? That's incredible.

Last edited:
What an amazing story! Thanks for posting it! How interesting is it that they seemed to have decent health all the way up til they started having more contact with modern life, then bam. 3 die close together. (and not related to disease immunity)

I go through moods where I don't really want to see other people, but after a long weekend of zero human contact, I'm ready to re-join the world. 40 years? That just sounds impossible, lol.

Great read... initially I thought they were just found which would have been truly unbelievable. The hardships they must have endured make the story very inspiring!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.