• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Ron Rivera - What If 2022 Turns Sour?

One comment about this season. We shouldn't discount one factor - Carson Wentz being in his first season with a new OC, a new system, all new pieces around him. That's a huge factor and one not a lot of players can immediately transition to without some bumps along the way. We even saw Tom Brady struggle some early on in Tampa. That's not making excuses for him, but those that rip Wentz for his first season in Indy aren't being entirely fair. He played pretty well overall given it was his first season with the team. There will definitely be some ups and downs based on that factor alone imho.

Oh my God, dude, no.

I am sorry. You do not trade away two third rounders to hand-hold a guy to get up to speed for a season. Getting Wentz was a win-now move.

This team wins now. Now. Or Rivera is another on a long list of coaches that we spent years and years making excuses for, all while squandering what talent was on hand with 7-win seasons.

Brady is odd example to use here. He joined a team who's only claim to fame in ten years was one 9-win season and immediately won 11 games and a superbowl. Starting out 3-1 and then 6-2. If that happens here, nobody will be saying boo to Rivera. Not even me. :)

No. This team needs to start showing some real improvement. Not improvements in the fertile recesses of our minds, but wins on the field. Lots of them.

Otherwise it is more of the same. Period.

I definitely agree this year's Rivera team is on notice ... by year three, with reasonable talent up and down the roster and what at least looks like competent quarterbacking, they need to emerge from 2022 having shown clearly that they are a legit playoff contender. I'd also like to think most of us around here can look at that and appreciate that there are realities that could come into play. Like say the starting quarterback gets blown up and plays less than one quarter of football and a backup starts the rest of the season. Or half the starters are lost for the season to injury by week 6. Or whatever. Not that any of that would happen here.

I do have expectations for this year. I think the roster looks capable of winning 10-11 games if they have even reasonable health. And I don't care when those wins come. Wentz started 0-3 in Indy last year, then went on a 9-3 tear (two of those losses in OT) before taking gas the last two games and finishing 9-8. Matt Stafford on the other hand, with a SB-ready roster, started 7-1 and never looked back.

I'm thinking the 2022 Commanders should realistically fall somewhere in between.

Last edited:
Two 3rd rounders for a starting QB - OMG how will the franchise ever recover?

As for the rest, you’re overstating my comments as if somehow I’m laying down a pre-defense of Wentz or Ron Rivera. Not being quite as negative or snarky as you doesn’t make me a homer by a long shot :)

Two 3rd rounders for a starting QB - OMG how will the franchise ever recover?

Thats ... a conversation that will make this a VERY long thread. :)

As for the rest, you’re overstating my comments as if somehow I’m laying down a pre-defense of Wentz or Ron Rivera. Not being quite as negative or snarky as you doesn’t make me a homer by a long shot :)

Well, there's a reason I don't post much these days. Let's just say I do not think Wentz being in a new system is any type of excuse whatsoever if this team, with an established history of starting terribly slow under Rivera, starts slow.

And leave it at that.

In Brady’s first 2 games in TB he threw for 200+ yds, threw 3 picks and fumbled the ball away twice. That’s what I was referencing. Could start slow for Wentz - that was my point.

Given the opposition to start the season Wentz better not throw 3 picks and get off to a slow start.

For this season to be a competitive one we need to come out and wins these games.

I agree but Jacksonville will be more competitive this year than people think. Added a ton of talent and Trevor Lawrence can play.

Actually, I think there is a chance it could go the other way - Wentz gets off to a hot start and Washington looks good and then he cools off in late October/November and we find out what kind of grit he really has.

Actually, I think there is a chance it could go the other way - Wentz gets off to a hot start and Washington looks good and then he cools off in late October/November and we find out what kind of grit he really has.

regarding the hot start... I THINK you're right (hope has a lot to do with it), if this team can start hot, Wentz can get his sea legs early, get some confidence, and we can find some Mo-jo.... look out.

That's the other thing NOBODY is talking about with Wentz. IF he plays well, we don't have to extend him, we've got his control for 2 more seasons. We aren't 'forced' to get involved in a long term commitment, with a fear that's a flash in the pan, or that he's just benefiting from a weak schedule.

I am less worried about the offense right now than depth on defense - specifically LB and CB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.