• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Roger Goodell: Redskins Name Honors Native Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's curious to me why Goodell hasn't said this much earlier and consistently if that's his position. I like seeing it and his support of Snyder is crucial, it's just odd he has been so reluctant to make his position clear.

Maybe he was waiting for the polling data to be completed. Then again, he certainly is not a guy who's hesitant to make unpopular decisions.

Goodell is a ****ing idiot, and if he's on one side of an NFL issue, I almost certainly want to be on the other side of that issue. Grade A moron, that one, and that is completely ignoring anything he's ever said about the name.

For once...Goodell gets it right. Who knows?! maybe we're seeing a precedent here wherein all the Himmler wannabes who seek to control all expression ...cause they really, really, really, really care about the meekest and most offended......will be treated with the contempt they deserve.

nahhhhh. we're too far down the road. all hail MSNBC culture!!!

For once...Goodell gets it right. Who knows?! maybe we're seeing a precedent here wherein all the Himmler wannabes who seek to control all expression ...cause they really, really, really, really care about the meekest and most offended......will be treated with the contempt they deserve.

nahhhhh. we're too far down the road. all hail MSNBC culture!!!

I'll bet you're a lot of fun at parties. :)

I agree that some people are stupid about the name change. Your comment is the type of thing that only exacerbates the problem though. Just saying.

Fighting fire with fire just makes more fire.

in many circumstances....you are right. (anyone who is married can attest to that!)

then again, lying down in the road...well....it leaves one with tire treads across the back. there are most certainly times to stand and fight. I personally don't trust the folks who don't know when they are in one of those moments. not pointing a finger at you - just responding to what appears a universal claim.

hey...it's getting lively around here! the kids are collecting around the campfire.

Maybe he was waiting for the polling data to be completed. Then again, he certainly is not a guy who's hesitant to make unpopular decisions.

Honestly, I think he was waiting for Snyder's check to clear in his secret Swiss bank account.

in many circumstances....you are right. (anyone who is married can attest to that!)

then again, lying down in the road...well....it leaves one with tire treads across the back. there are most certainly times to stand and fight. I personally don't trust the folks who don't know when they are in one of those moments. not pointing a finger at you - just responding to what appears a universal claim.

I fail to see how what I said in any way equates to lying down in the road. If you are trying to prove that you are honoring something, it is best to not throw in comments that make you appear possibly stereotyping or bigoted. I know Mr. Nobody isn't meaning it that way, as we have had this discussion ad nauseum, I'm just concerned about valid points getting lost.

It especially seems silly to me given that it is only a handful of Natives pushing for it, with most not caring or backing. Saying things like "Put that in your peace pipe and smoke it" only alienates those people who are on your side.

In a world where Dave Chappelle dresses up like Clayton Bigsby (a blind black man but leader of the KKK) and Eddie Murphy dresses like a jewish guy in a barber shop....the line is really getting hazy.

I agree with you...but some levity is necessary when dealing with issues that are such hot topics.

But I do respect what you have to say and I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

I actually do agree that the comment should be able to be taken with levity. I prefer to do so myself; I am not concerned with 'offensiveness'. I just don't like valid points being disregarded because of perceived bigotry.

I fail to see how what I said in any way equates to lying down in the road. If you are trying to prove that you are honoring something, it is best to not throw in comments that make you appear possibly stereotyping or bigoted. I know Mr. Nobody isn't meaning it that way, as we have had this discussion ad nauseum, I'm just concerned about valid points getting lost.

It especially seems silly to me given that it is only a handful of Natives pushing for it, with most not caring or backing. Saying things like "Put that in your peace pipe and smoke it" only alienates those people who are on your side.
I get what you're saying, I really do. However, I don't believe everyone should bite their tongue before making a joke, just because someone might take offense to it. Because when it comes down to it, someone will always be offended. People thinking the comment I made is bigoted (not that you said that, I know), is the same reason people have a problem with the name Redskins. They look for a reason to be offended.

FWIW, my family history is deep in Cherokee, Mattaponi and Chesapeake Indian. My mother's grandmother married the first white member of my family on my mother's maternal side. It was 100% Native American prior to that. Her paternal side was a blend of Irish, Scottish and Chocktaw. On my father's maternal side, it was all Brownings (as in John Moses Browning), Irish and German. He never met his biological father, but the man his mother says was his father was Blackfoot Indian.

Good! Now the NFL needs to go after its butt buddy mara and the giants for the fraud they have been committing. Payback is a bitch mother ****er!

I get what you're saying, I really do. However, I don't believe everyone should bite their tongue before making a joke, just because someone might take offense to it. Because when it comes down to it, someone will always be offended. People thinking the comment I made is bigoted (not that you said that, I know), is the same reason people have a problem with the name Redskins. They look for a reason to be offended.

FWIW, my family history is deep in Cherokee, Mattaponi and Chesapeake Indian. My mother's grandmother married the first white member of my family on my mother's maternal side. It was 100% Native American prior to that. Her paternal side was a blend of Irish, Scottish and Chocktaw. On my father's maternal side, it was all Brownings (as in John Moses Browning), Irish and German. He never met his biological father, but the man his mother says was his father was Blackfoot Indian.

Part of it is because I am conscious of my phrasing on how to get people to pick my side on all of this sort of thing. I hate it when people will discount others over a piddly comment that has nothing to do with the argument. I see it too many times, even around here, where something like that can take away from a good point because someone decided picking nits was the best way to attack somebody.

I hate it, I just choose to work around it :p

it's not that complicated: "fighting fire with fire just makes more fire" is a claim. the logic of the statement is quite clear....it is a universal. I was responding on some of the implications. I was pointing out that there are instances when one certainly does meet fire with fire...perhaps even greater fire; hence, questioning the claim.

it seems your true claim is that the phrase employed by Mr Nobody is offensive to you - or to those with whom the discussion is being held (kinda undefined at times: Oneidas? do gooders? media types?). So, to be more accurate, you may have expressed the thought as "Meeting one offensive statement with another doesn't solve anything".

in the main, I don't care what others (including some on this board) find offensive in a wide variety of contexts - most especially language. not all. there is decency and respect - the latter of which applies in multiple ways. let's make a note here: anyone who believes the use of Redskins is offensive on the grounds it is racist - must also believe that anyone on this board who uses that term is racist.

A. It's a subjective point-of-view.

B. More often than not the offense is just a mask for ulterior motives.

C. More often than not is is used by people who, in the facts of their lives, don't act on the principle (and others) themselves.

D. It's also, often, an effort to disassociate from the past in order to establish new rules that, in the end, just shift the balance of power and benefit (i.e., not really intended to realize any real measure of equality or whatever justice principle is supposedly in play).

E. It's also a method for distracting from failure in areas where it really matters - such as inner city crime and poverty...and some things you have pointed out in the tedious past threads you mention.

F. There's huge hypocrisy in all of this..with impossible rules "It's ok for person of race X to say Y, but not ok for person of race Z to say Y"

No one, far as I can tell, on this board is a racist. But some folks, by the way they convey their ideas on this subject, come dangerously close to saying so.

I appreciate your point-of-view in that you are trying to adopt a measured response - and place things in perspective. I also get that you are thinking about tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.