• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rick Riley: Have the People Spoken?

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
In other words, Rick Reilly gets it.

Redskins name change not as easy as it sounds - ESPN

In fact, ESPN and many other media companies cover the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves without a single searing search of their social conscience.

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

changing the Redskins name is a cheap 'get' for politically sensitized people who want to feel good about themselves in a way that won't cause them to have to do anything more than participate in an internet poll.

Rick Reilly is usually a moronic windbag who just likes to hear himself talk - its about time he finally wrote something worth reading. On the other hand, its a bit worrisome that a blowhard like that is the only one on our side, it seems like. I still think the name-change is inevitable and I waffle on it almost daily, but its ridiculous that the Redskins seem to be the ONLY team being targeted, when there are many other, GLARING examples of racism in sports. I mean, the Cleveland Indians are not only a misnomer, their mascot is an incredibly offensive cartoon Indian! Its the Native American equivalent of Sambo.

If we change the name, then how do we know the new name won't be offensive to just ONE person, since Goodell says just ONE person should make the difference in the name consideration ? Should we take a vote over the entire nation, and only accept the name if it's unanimously accepted ? :rolleyes2:

You could take any team, in any sport, on any level and find at least one person that finds it offensive. I was talking to my wife about this over the weekend, which she isn't a football fan, and she said it is ridiculous.

She said when she hears the word "Redskins" she thinks of the football team.

I think Goodell may regret the "one person" statement.

As we already know, the Oneida tribe at the Green Bay game had a big protest last week. The publicity before the game was massive and the media really gave it a lot of attention.

A grand total of nine souls were at this protest. Enough said.

argument pyramid.jpg

And thus the race to the bottom begins.

changing the Redskins name is a cheap 'get' for politically sensitized people who want to feel good about themselves in a way that won't cause them to have to do anything more than participate in an internet poll.

This is pretty much how I feel. Most people you hear talking about it feel like they have to speak for people who they think can't speak for themselves. It makes them feel good to pound their chest and say "look, I'm helping" when in reality, they aren't taking much action to help.

Ahhh sucked into yet another comments section after a name change article! I'm hopeless!

This story just got really weird:

So you can imagine my dismay when I saw my name and words used to defend the racist Washington Redskins name. My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle -- if the name offends someone, change it.” He failed to include my comments that the term “redskins” demeans Indians, andhistorically is insulting and offensive, and that I firmly believe the Washington Redskins should change their name.

When Rick’s article came out, it upset me to be portrayed as an “Uncle Tom” in support of this racial slur. I asked him to correct the record. He has not, so I must do it myself.

Read more at Blackfeet Elder Says Rick Reilly Misquoted Him; Wants ?Redskins? Banned - ICTMN.com

Not to discredit him, but that does sound an awful lot like somebody called him out and he folded. Especially when he invokes Uncle Tom in his statement.

He was definitely called out. Not to mention, Uncle Tom is a racial slur itself. So I guess it's ok for him to use a racial slur used to degrade black people, but it's not ok for a football team to use the name Redskins in a honoring way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.