• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 will declare for draft

The combine may change things, but unless there are trades involved I think it's very possible that RG III could fall to our draft position. It'd be crazy for the Rams to take a qb, Minn, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay don't need one really either.

Because so many bad teams went qb last year it may open the door for us. More, Moore's very solid play in Miami will make it harder for Miami to want to break the bank in a trade to get a QB.

I think the trading price being set is also scary. Three number ones is an awfully steep price.

The most interesting question in some respects is what the Colts do. Manning says he'll be ready to go. Manning and Luck's dads say their sons could not co-exist on the same football team and because of the contract I'm not sure that the Colts can afford to release Manning... and if they do, Luck will be left with a talent starved team able to win two games and no cap room.

Seems like a fun game of poker the Redskins have fallen into. If they realize it, they have more power and options than many think.

The combine may change things, but unless there are trades involved I think it's very possible that RG III could fall to our draft position. It'd be crazy for the Rams to take a qb, Minn, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay don't need one really either.

Because so many bad teams went qb last year it may open the door for us. More, Moore's very solid play in Miami will make it harder for Miami to want to break the bank in a trade to get a QB.

I think the trading price being set is also scary. Three number ones is an awfully steep price.

The most interesting question in some respects is what the Colts do. Manning says he'll be ready to go. Manning and Luck's dads say their sons could not co-exist on the same football team and because of the contract I'm not sure that the Colts can afford to release Manning... and if they do, Luck will be left with a talent starved team able to win two games and no cap room.

Seems like a fun game of poker the Redskins have fallen into. If they realize it, they have more power and options than many think.

Good point there at the end, burgold. We're sitting with the #6 pick within striking range, depending on circumstances, of RG3 with Matt Flynn looming as a possible monkey-wrench in the whole QB feeding-frenzy sure to take place with 8 total picks and a number of really nice looking players in positions of need for the Redskins in the 2nd round where we are at #39, not to mention the other rounds-there are several plausible directions the Redskins could go that could entail not only getting something perhaps close to the haul from last year but get a decent starting QB to boot.

Could be a really interesting off-season shaping up here.

Well then, the race is on. :)

I think there is a better chance of someone trading up to grab him, than their is of a team ahead of us taking him.

Here's a thought. Would Jerry Jones try to move up and get him if it looks like he'll fall to us? He gets a young QB to eventually take over for Mr. November, and, keeps a rival from getting him at the same time. Just the kind of flashy move the old sloth might do.

Can you imagine the fun this place would be?

I think there is a better chance of someone trading up to grab him, than their is of a team ahead of us taking him.

Here's a thought. Would Jerry Jones try to move up and get him if it looks like he'll fall to us? He gets a young QB to eventually take over for Mr. November, and, keeps a rival from getting him at the same time. Just the kind of flashy move the old sloth might do.

Fun?!? Oh Yeah, the **** Dallas thread would probably shut the server down.

Damn, Ax, don't even think things like that. :eek: :bucktooth:

Agreed. With the possible exception of Cleveland (just not sure they are sold on McCoy), I think everyone but Indy passes on a QB this spring. Indy takes Luck. However, that wouldn't stop someone else from trading up to get RGIII. I can see at least Seattle and Miami being willing to try it and there is no telling which other teams have decided that the guy they have now isn't the guy for them long term. Every team with a coaching vacancy could be a candidate to move up to get "the guy" for the new coach.

While I can see it as possible for the reasons you mention, I don't think it likely. To do that would be to absolutely ignore the issues on defense the Cowboys have where only Ware, Spencer and Lee had what could be called good years. The entire secondary is suspect and the whole of the defensive line is getting old. They had too many second half collapses on that side of the ball. Jerry has to address the defense if he wants to get into the post season.

I don't see Miami trading up just because of how well Moore played. While Moore may not be considered elite. He played well enough that the idea of giving another team three number ones may be really unappealing to them.

Seatle, I'm not sure about, but really splashy moves doesn't seem their style.

Of course, I may have no clue what I'm talking about.

Anybody see the NFL attendance figures lately?

Outside of the Bengals, who fill 75.2% of their seats on a weekly basis, the next two lowest teams in terms of filling stadium capacity are the Dolphins at 81%, and the Redskins at 83.9% (even though the 'Skins are 4th in total attendance).

Offensively, the Dolphins have a true #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, an interesting combo at RB in Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, as well as three offensive linemen that they've drafted high over the years in Jake Long, Vernon Carey, and Mike Pouncey. Adding a high profile QB is obviously the missing piece they need to finish shaping the foundation of their offense, but just as importantly, to generate excitement in the Miami area for pro football once again. Regardless of what they think of Matt Moore at this point, I don't think they will stay put and let the chips fall where they may so to speak.

Like others have mentioned, it's not so much about who is ahead of us in the draft order, but who is on our tails. The Dolphins are a huge thread to make a move in my opinion.

While I can see it as possible for the reasons you mention, I don't think it likely. To do that would be to absolutely ignore the issues on defense the Cowboys have where only Ware, Spencer and Lee had what could be called good years. The entire secondary is suspect and the whole of the defensive line is getting old. They had too many second half collapses on that side of the ball. Jerry has to address the defense if he wants to get into the post season.
Agreed.

However, their GM is Jerry "Smarter Then Everyone" Jones.

It would be classic Jerrah. I mean, come on, he gave up two #1's for Roy Williams.

The wildcard has to be the Colts and Rams having new regimes in place. Right now hard to tell what direction they may go.

Thing is the Browns and us need a QB and they know this. Problem is will the cost to move up for one of the two be too high?

With all our needs it hard to give up too much for just one guy. We could always enter the Flynn sweepstakes. I wouldn't be unhappy with say Flynn then take Blackmon at #6.

Main thing is to get someone reliable to build our offense around versus Sexy Rexy.

I'm really, really loving the countdown clock guys. :)

Just in case something happens along the way, here's an alternate photo for the countdown clock.
mushroom-cloud.jpg

I REALLY don't like the gamble of waiting for Griffin to fall to us at #6. I feel pretty certain he'll go in the #3 or #4 spot. I also don't want to sell the farm to move up unless it's for Luck.

This is a VERY tough decision in my mind because you could sign Flynn, and perhaps Dwayne Bowe, and use the draft to set yourself up to fill the various holes.

OR...you could offer our 1st rounder for Manning and use the rest of the picks and FA to fill holes.

OR...you sign a guy like Kyle Orton or *shudder* Rex & gamble that RG3 falls to you at #6. If RG3 is gone, you go OL/CB/Richardson in round 1 and take a QB in round 2 or later and let him learn for a year or two.

Not crazy about this last scenario although it seems the most likely. Like I said, tough decision.

I don't see any way either Luck or RG3 falls to 6. Both will be gone early. Cleveland is in need of a QB as well.

Problem is the teams above us know Cleveland and us want a QB, so the cost to move up may be pricey. I see the cost being higher due to only couple guys everyone feels will be franchise QB's, so the market just got higher.

On the plus side, they will be dealing with Allen and not Vinny.

Cleveland is gonna draft RGIII if he is there.

Doubtful. Just today, Holmgren all but hinted at competition for McCoy, not replacement. He has a history of getting backups to come in for such purposes - Hasselbeck is one example in Seattle. Steve Young is another - convincing the 49ers to get him while Holmgren was the QB coach. Brett Favre was another player that Holmgren traded for - in Green Bay of course.

Holmgren is known to covet Trent Richardson and is all but certain to sign Matt Flynn.

Landry Jones will not enter the 2012 draft. And the rookie QB field narrows.

Landry Jones=Blaine Gabbert II. If RGIII and Luck are gone the only other QB I'd consider in the 1st round is Tannehill.

I like Tannehill a lot. The only problem is will he be ready to start week one. If not I hope we have an upgrade over Grossman as the stop gap guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.