• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Revisiting the draft trade with the cowgirls

redskins26

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
We swapped and they picked up Demarcus Jackson and we got Trent Murphy and Long

demarcus Jackson had the sack that secured the victory but let's look at the regular season

Jackson played in 8 games had 6 tackles no sacks in limited action due to injury
Murphy played in 13 games had 22 tackles and 2.5 sacks

While it's still early even without Long playing it looks like we got the better end of this deal of course we need to revisit this next year

well...neither Jackson's nor Murphy's numbers are all that good IMO.

sure wish they had played long after we were done. I still don't get what went on with that. loyalty to vets? or was Long that bad in practice?

DeMarcus Lawrence I think is going to be a good football player in the NFL. He is a great athlete but a bit light and needs to build strength as many rookies do.

He has the skills in the toolbox to develop into a replacement for Ware.

With the Redskins, I don't know the thought behind Trent Murphy. The team said it was looking to add a THIRD player to go with Orakpo and Kerrigan that could rush the passer in the front seven and Murphy could be lined up at various spots, creating mismatches for the opposition.

That logic doesn't sound that bad, unless you look at the Redskins 3-13 roster and all of the holes. As well as the fact that Murphy seemed to go early based on his skills. He posted sacks in college, but his draft bio indicated he had average athleticism and lacked the initial burst to be an impact edge rusher.

So, what was the long term plan for him? To move him inside and have him play a 'rover' position like Ted Hendricks did in the Raiders 3-4 back in the day?

He is 6'4 and 250.

If Orakpo left in free agency in 2015, it didn't appear as if Murphy was going to be the edge threat that would replace what the team wanted out of #98.

So, it was an odd pick.

Spencer Long was the 'value' in the trade. When he came in and never really pushed Lauvao or Chester in camp or the preseason, I started to suspect this was another middle round pick that would disappear on the inactive list.

And the Redskins didn't disappoint me.

In a lost 4-12 season where the club gave up 58 sacks, they couldn't even get Long on the field the last few weeks to give him some game experience. We sure weren't learning anything we didn't already know about the 32 year old Chester.

agree on Murphy. eventually....especially if we stay 3-4.....we're going to have to find a pass rusher at his OLB spot. seems to me the focus was on 15 collegiate sacks and not the intangibles you mention. Murphy isn't a loss....he's just doesn't fit what is needed at that position - especially with a weak secondary.

as for Long....still would like to know the why. even if a weak player....you put him on the field at some point to see if he is a gamer despite what you see in practice....at least if you are barreling toward a another 3/4 win season. eh...the mysteries!

I think Gruden's a first time coach who was desperate for a win of any kind. I think he felt enough pressure that it precluded him from putting guys out there in live action just to 'assess' them even though it was a lost season like a more veteran coach might've been inclined to do.

4-12 doesn't make Gruden look any better than 3-13. Take the opportunity to start to develop your players. You have a 5 year guaranteed contract, if Snyder does not agree let him fire you and you sign on as the OC in SF, SD or another contending club and say adios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.