• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Regular Season Practice / Roster / Injury updates

Seeing reports of Ryan Anderson to IR, looking for confirmation

This is why I have concerns for Gibson to return... unless they just want to have a backup plan in the building just in case.

This buttresses my conjecture that Alex Smith’s injury may be something worse than soreness and a muscle pull.

What happened to Montez? I must've missed that one or forgotten about it - he must've been released?

Gotta say - not having a 3rd QB when Alex Smith is your starter is borderline incompetence. We're leading the division and are going into the final 3 games with a guy off the street as #2? The only way this is acceptable is if Smith really is 'okay' and could play but they are being cautious to ensure he is ready for the last couple of critical games.

What happened to Montez? I must've missed that one or forgotten about it - he must've been released?

Gotta say - not having a 3rd QB when Alex Smith is your starter is borderline incompetence. We're leading the division and are going into the final 3 games with a guy off the street as #2? The only way this is acceptable is if Smith really is 'okay' and could play but they are being cautious to ensure he is ready for the last couple of critical games.

I think this is the thought... and there is nothing to say that Alex will even be inactive tomorrow.. that news has not yet come out. Its POSSIBLE Alex is 3rd string and an emergency situation. Montez is still on the PS if im not mistaken, Heinicke has been in this offense and played in the NFL before.

If Montez IS on the PS, still seems worrisome. If Smith is basically okay, why would we need a 4th QB?

If Montez IS on the PS, still seems worrisome. If Smith is basically okay, why would we need a 4th QB?

We added Heinicke a few weeks back to be our 'Covid' emergency QB. He has experience in the system, practices and does everything but is not in the meeting rooms or with the other QBs. He's insurance so we never find ourselves in the situation that Denver was in where their whole QB room got sidelined because one of the QBs tested positive and the others were not following protocol.

With the current NFL changes to the way things are handled swapping players from PS to active roster, I BELIEVE a player can only be moved from PS to Active Roster and back down again twice... If they are elevated a 3rd time they cannot be sent back down, they either need to stay with the active roster or be released outright.... SO. I think Rivera looks at Montez and Heinicke and thinks that if he needs to elevate a QB each of the next 3 weeks and will be forced to keep that guy on the active roster going into the playoffs, he gave Heinicke the nod, allowing Montez to now stay on the PS and distance in the event that they have to hit the Covid panic button.

Just confirmed

Weekly promotion
Each week, teams will be able to promote up to two players to the active roster. Those players can be sent back down to the practice squad without having to clear waivers no more than twice.

So with that new rule, game-day rosters can technically be up to 55 players, allowing for more flexibility each week for teams across the NFL.

edit: They CAN be sent down more than twice, but each time they would then have to pass through waivers.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the leg work on that one. Makes more sense in that context.

soo..... MikefromOH just clued me in... Montez has been promoted to the active roster as well... does not bode well for Alex AT ALL.

Yeah - I saw that. Agree. He may be done which would be a real bummer (setting aside the Haskins discussion). I really wanted to see what he could do the rest of the way.

I have not seen official confirmation, but this is pretty close....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.