• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins' very interesting history of determining Super Bowl winners

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Redskins' very interesting history of determining the Super Bowl

As most of you probably already know, recent history indicates, that the Redskins usually will defeat the soon-to-be Super Bowl champs, during the prior season. If that is any indication, then expect the Ravens to be Super Bowl Champs this year.

I took a look back, and we have a very strong history of beating Super Bowl champs, or at least one of the Super Bowl teams.

Interestingly, this trend goes back all the way to the time Gibbs left in his first tenure. Even more amazing, was during our dominating years with Gibbs and winning our own Super Bowls, we actually had the EXACT OPPOSITE trend against the Super Bowl winners during that era (in the years when we were not in the SB). In fact, during that time, we often went 0-2, or even 0-3 against the Super Bowl teams.

So, here's the history going all the way back to the 1977 season.

***** 5 Stars means we won the Super Bowl that year
**** 4 Stars means we swept the SB winner, or won 2 games between the 2 SB teams
*** 3 Stars means we beat the SB winner during the season
** 2 Stars means we beat at least one of the SB teams (the SB losing team)
* 1 star....eh, I ****ed up on that one.....didn't use one star
No stars means we did not play either team that season

Basically, 2 stars or more is impressive. It means we either won the Super Bowl, or defeated at least one of the SB teams once. And we had at least 2 stars, SEVEN TIMES since 2000.....THIRTEEN TIMES since 1990......and before that, was the Gibbs era, which you'll see was the OPPOSITE trend, as I said.

xxx 3 x's means we were 0-3 against SB teams
xx 2 x's means we went 0-2 against the SB teams
x 1 x means we lost to the SB winner

2013 Defeated Chargers.....Chargers made playoffs....will they win it all ??
2012 Defeated Ravens, lost to Falcons…….Ravens win Super Bowl !
**** 2011 Swept Giants……Giants won Super Bowl
*** 2010 Defeated Packers……Packers won Super Bowl
x 2009 Lost to Saints by 3 points in Overtime……Saints win Super Bowl

** 2008 Defeated Cardinals, lost to Steelers..Cardinals lost to Steelers in SB
*** 2007 Beat Giants in 1 of 2 games…….Giants win Super Bowl
x 2006 Lost to Colts ……..Colts won Super Bowl
** 2005 Defeated Seahawks, did not play Steelers…Seahawks reached SB, Steelers won
2004 Did not play Pats, swept by Eagles……Pats beat Eagles in Super Bowl
*** 2003 Defeated Pats……Pats won Super Bowl (also lost to Panthers, who lost the SB)
2002 Did not play either Super Bowl team that year (Tampa and Oakland)
2001 Did not play either Super Bowl team (Pats and Rams)
****2000 Defeated Ravens, beat Giants once…..Ravens won Super Bowl over Giants
1999 Did not play either Super Bowl team (Rams and Titans)
x 1998 Lost to Broncos……Broncos won Super Bowl
1997 Did not play either team (Broncos and Packers)
** 1996 Defeated Pats (didn’t play Packers)…..Pats went to Super Bowl, lost to Packers
**** 1995 SWEPT Cowboys……Cowboys won Super Bowl
x 1994 Lost to 49ers……49ers won Super Bowl
*** 1993 Beat Cowboys once……Cowboys won Super Bowl
*** 1992 Beat Cowboys once……Cowboys won Super Bowl
***** 1991 REDSKINS WIN SUPER BOWL
** 1990 Beat Bills (swept by Giants)…..Giants beat Bills in SB

Trend changes going prior to 1990..................

x1989 Lost to Broncos, 49ers beat Broncos in SB
xx 1988 Lost to both 49ers and Bengals, who played in SB
***** 1987 REDSKINS WIN SUPER BOWL
xxx 1986 0-3 versus Giants and Broncos, who played in Super Bowl
x 1985 Lost to Bears, Bears won Super Bowl
xx 1984 Lost to BOTH 49ers and Dolphins, who played in Super Bowl
*** 1983 Defeated Raiders, who won Super Bowl……..against Redskins
*****1982 REDSKINS WIN SUPER BOWL
x 1981 Lost to 49ers, who won Super Bowl
xxx 1980 0-3 versus Super Bowl teams – Oakland and Philly
x 1979 Lost to Pittsburgh, who won Super Bowl
* 1978 Beat Dallas once, Dallas lost SB
xx 1977 0-2 against Dallas, who won Super Bowl

Last edited:
SpockVulcan.jpg

Fascinating.

It must be pointed out however, Captain, that logic suggests in order to form a working hypothesis based upon these observations one would be required to perform a similar comparative analysis for every team in the National Football League.

Computer?

Last edited:
Theeyebrow--raised.jpg

The color of my blood is irrelevant to this discussion, Doctor. As, parenthetically, was your comment.

As most of you probably already know, recent history indicates, that the Redskins usually will defeat the soon-to-be Super Bowl champs, during the prior season. If that is any indication, then expect the Ravens to be Super Bowl Champs this year.

One step closer to this happening. Which would make it 3 years in a row

That's incredible. I know the last couple of years the trend, but I didn't realize it had been happening so long. I guess I'm trying to forget a lot of those years in this century. I do remember sweeping the cowboys in 95.

Also, maybe this is what you meant, but in 1986, the Redskins actually lost to the Giants 3 times as well as losing to the Broncos. So they were 0-4 against both the super bowl teams. That may have been the first season of football I remember more than just the playoffs. I distinctly remember the 17-0 beatdown in the NFC championship. It's amazing that during the Redskins best era of football, they were terrible against the Super Bowl teams (when they weren't winning of course.)

Also, maybe this is what you meant, but in 1986, the Redskins actually lost to the Giants 3 times as well as losing to the Broncos. So they were 0-4 against both the super bowl teams.

Yes. Thanks for correcting me. Ironically, that last loss to the Giants in that season, for the NFC Championship, when the Giants shut us out 17-0, was one of the most memorable games ever for me - but for the wrong reason - because it was one of the most painful to watch. That's because the Giants defense was so dominating during that time, that I basically felt like our offense was paralyzed whenever we had the ball.

Another interesting SB trend: the last four teams (Saints, Packers, Giants, Ravens) to play the Eagles in their regular-season home opener (and beat them) have won the SB. I guess we need to beat the Eagles for their home opener next season, and we're on our way!!!

it's really not that surprising. The 1980's NFC produced some great teams.

The Redskins losses under Gibbs in the postseason were almost always to quality teams that seemed to have more talent than Washington.

That is backed up by the fact the Redskins under Gibbs advanced to at least the second round of the playoffs every season they made it save 1984 when they lost 23-19 to the up and coming Bears, who would go on to be 15-1 in 1985.

You heard it here first, the Chargers will go all the way, in the 2013-14 playoffs and win the Super Bowl in February of 2014 !!

Not only did we beat the Chargers this year, but ......

Another interesting SB trend: the last four teams (Saints, Packers, Giants, Ravens) to play the Eagles in their regular-season home opener (and beat them) have won the SB. I guess we need to beat the Eagles for their home opener next season, and we're on our way!!!

the Chargers ALSO beat the Eagles at their first home game this season.

You heard it here first, the Chargers will go all the way, in the 2013-14 playoffs and win the Super Bowl in February of 2014 !!

Not only did we beat the Chargers this year, but ......

the Chargers ALSO beat the Eagles at their first home game this season.

Slow the boat down, I was the first to pick the Chargers this year, I did it on Dec 30th lol

If the Chargers win it this year that is going to be some weird shit!!!

The Chargers will win it because we beat them this season and yall all know that if we beat you you are going to win the Super Bowl! ;)

Slow the boat down, I was the first to pick the Chargers this year, I did it on Dec 30th lol

Wrong, I essentially picked this Super Bowl winner long before you did, because I started this thread almost a year ago !

:nana:

I picked the Ravens to win it last year, and was right. And went on to pick the winner of virtually every Super Bowl after that !

essentially??? is that your new fragrance lol

So how are the Redskins going to win the SB, if the Redskins have to beat the winner of the SB in that season, wait we have a history of beating ourselves we should win the SB every year! :rotflmao:

Exactly, because if I'm "essentially right", that makes you "essentially wrong" :p

Well we can only hope that the chargers win it all, because I pretty much hate all of the remaining teams, well the Saints are ok I suppose. This postseason sucks lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.