• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins tidbits via Rotoworld

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
http://rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/was/washington-redskins?rw=1

Players said that rookie Chris Nield was picking things up quickly at the player organized practices.

Chris Cooley believes that the coaches will bring in a veteran QB to compete with Beck and Grossman.

Santana Moss may not be a lock to return and could test free agency.

Terrence Austin has added upper body strength during the offseason.

The Redskins could add a veteran running back via FA and Steve Slaton could be a target.

The Redskins have had the best attendance of teams that have had player organized practices.

Kyle Shanahan was the central reason for Donovan McNabb having a fallout with the team.

Malcolm Kelly may not make the roster this year.

There is a good chance that Ryan Torain may not be the starter come opening day.

Kedric Golston got a second round tender and has no desire to play with another team.

Malcolm Kelly has almost no chance. If he plays lights out, Ande Johnson style, i could see him having a chance. Anything less and i think they go with the healthy youth.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

what's the thinking on adding another RB? I don't get that. blocking? competition? uncertainty vis helu, royster et al?

what's the thinking on adding another RB? I don't get that. blocking? competition? uncertainty vis helu, royster et al?

If the top three end up being (in no particular order) Torain, Helu and Royster, that's a lot of uncertainty, be it injury history or just rookie nerves. I would feel better with one more vet in the backfield, personally, though it doesn't have to be a big name.

got it.

except for blocking schemes...I always thought RB was one of the easiest positions to rapidly assimilate. wellllll....here's hoping this year's batch of vet RBs do better than last years!

If CP could stay healthy and keep his mouth shut, I wouldn't mind seeing him back around if for nothing else 3rd down blocking and threat out of the backfield.

Alas, I kid myself. He can't keep his mouth shut, and it is doubtful he will ever survive more than 6-8 games a season, ever again.

Heard some Steve Slaton rumors. Thoughts?

CP is not returning. At some point, he will get a one day contract to retire as a member of the Redskins.

Slaton has not been mentioned amongst the insiders, so I have no idea where this idea originated. It may be true - we'll find out at some point.

More at the link listed in the OP including...

Perry Riley will be given every chance to win a job at ILB if Rocky McIntosh moves on.

More signs point to DMc5 moving to the Vikings.

An opposing coach says that John Beck does not have good pocket presence.

Do they comment at all on compensation for McNabb? Or just have us cutting him and him signing as a FA?

No word on cutting or trading. We can retain him until after the first game of the season - at that point, the big bonus will kick in when game two is played. That gives the Redskins some leverage.

John Beck is an absolute joke....literally. I don't care what the coaches say.....there is no way that Shanahan will let him see the field.

And it's a shame about Kelly. I believe he literally stole from this team.

Also, some pretty telling comments from Cooley. Not exactly a vote of confidence in McNabb(likely to be traded), Beck or Grossman.

Last edited:
Speaking of Slaton.... http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-07/steve-slaton-looks-like-longshot-to-make-texans-roster

I guess a lot would depend on what we’d have to give up getting him. There are probably a few teams who would be willing to give a 6th or 7th rounder for him, which is probably why it would take more than that to get him. You start getting into the 4th or 5th round territory and I start to balk a little. Those aren't throw away picks.

He certainly has a high level level of talent IF he's healthy, and IF he's not a knucklehead and IF he's sufficiently motivated. We had better be reasonably sure before we take that chance.

More stuff - again, same link as in the OP.

Rex Grossman is saying that he will re-sign with the Redskins.

Mike Sellers could be a roster casualty and might be cut.

Stephon Heyer wants to return and compete for the RT job.

Former Nebraska WR coach (now coaching the same position at Southern Cal) says that Niles Paul is an "absolute steal" for the Redskins in the fifth round.

Santana Moss probably has no choice but to re-sign with the Redskins.

Leonard Hankerson should be a rookie starter come opening day.

Some new tidbits...

Kareem Moore and Chris Horton may not be with the Redskins this season.

It was definitely noticed that Trent Williams was absent from all of the player-organized camps.

JLC thinks that the Redskins will get no more than a 5th round pick for Albert Turdsworth.

Malcolm Kelly is in the best shape of his pro career.

Chris Cooley should set the all time record for receptions by a TE for the Redskins this season.

It was definitely noticed that Trent Williams was absent from all of the player-organized camps.

This used to bother me, but then I saw the Redskins.com video where Riggo said he never went to their team workouts. Not a huge deal...people noticed, and they won't care once football is back.

to the degree that rookies are getting SOME insight into the playbook and SOME mentoring from the vets...I see value in it.

Some new tidbits via the link in the OP.

RB James Davis is a longshot to make the team - his weakness is poor pass protection skills.

LaRon Landry will probably get a contract extension after the lockout is lifted.

The Cardinals are expected to take a serious look at FA OT Jammal Brown.

O.J. Atogwe drew serious interest from the Vikings before deciding to sign with the Redskins.

Donovan McNabb may bring no trade offers whatsoever and the Redskins will be forced to release him before a $12.5 million guarantee kicks in.

James Davis is going to have a lot of competition to stay in Washington in 2011. I remember him running the ball ok in the blow out against the Giants but besides that he didn't really do anything to stand out. I think the max number of RBs that the Skins keep this year will be five. You know Torain and Helu are locks and then for the final three spots you have Royster, K Williams (probably a lock too), Chad Simpson and Andre Brown. That's assumming that a free agent isn't brought in. So, yes a long shot indeed.

I think Landry gets an extension too. Now that he is back to playing SS he is one of the best in the league.

If Jammal Brown can get a job at LT he will be good as gone. We might be better off with a younger guy that is more used to playing on the right side anyway.

It's nice to know that Atogwe had some other teams interested. Makes it seem like we got a good deal on him.

I agree that McNabb will be cut. Too much money for a team to trade for him. His play last year didn't exactly make anyone fall in love with him.

yea...they're gonna have to dump McNabb and Paynesworth soon as the labor dispute is resolved.

IMO...the O-line remains a total mess. I'd like to see heavy emphasis there over the next two seasons.....with a bona fide QB thrown in the mix somewhere along the line!

I say McNabb is gone as soon as the lockout is over. He will probably end up getting cut and then he heads off to Miami or maybe Arizona (if they don't sign Kolb)

Haynesworth, I am not so sure about. If we cut Fat Al he goes to Philly and makes us pay. I think it would take a 2nd round pick for Shanny to release him to the Eagles. Now, for an AFC team I think he would take a lot less. It looks like the Skins will be looking to sign NT Franklin and DE from GB Cullen Jenkins. That would do wonders for our D-line and I would trade Hayesnworthless for a bag of footballs.

Fansince62, you are right we got to do something about our O-line!!! Trent Williams at LT is the only thing we know for sure going into next year. Jammal Brown or Ryan Harris at RT? Or do we go with someone else entirely? What about Guard? Are Lichtensteiger and Montgomery the two guards or is there another free agent brought in? Is Rabach the Center? Lots of questions along the Offensive Line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.