• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign S Phillip Thomas

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
May 17, 2013

REDSKINS SIGN DRAFT PICK PHILLIP THOMAS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed 2013 fourth-round draft pick safety Phillip Thomas (119th overall). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Thomas (6-0, 210) played collegiately at Fresno State from 2009-12, starting 24 of the 39 games in which he appeared and amassing 13 career interceptions. Last season, he became the first player in Fresno State history to be named as a unanimous All-American first-team selection, earning first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors and collecting the league’s Defensive Player of the Year award. His eight interceptions in 2012 led the nation and set a new conference record.

Thomas, 24, attended Bakersfield (Calif.) H.S., where he saw action at wide receiver, quarterback, tailback and safety during his prep career. He was born on March 1, 1989.

Last year's contracts for similar draft position:

Jarius Wright (118) - 5/22/2012: Signed a four-year, $2,520,108 contract. The deal included a $420,108 signing bonus. 2013: $480,000, 2014: $570,000, 2015: $660,000, 2016: Free Agent

Keenan Robinson (119) - 5/17/2012: Signed a four-year, $2,520,108 contract. The deal included a $420,108 signing bonus. 2013: $480,000, 2014: $570,000, 2015: $660,000, 2016: Free Agent

James-Michael Johnson (120) - 5/9/2012: Signed a four-year, $2.52 million contract. The deal included a $424,000 signing bonus. 2013: $480,000, 2014: $570,000, 2015: $660,000, 2016: Free Agent

Contract info from http://www.rotoworld.com/

What is different about our signings this year ?
If I'm not mistaken, in the past, we did not even begin signing draft picks until shortly before TC, and typically our top pick wouldn't sign until immediately before, or shortly after TC started.

Yet this year, we already have almost all our picks signed, a whole 2 months before TC, including our top pick, albeit a 2nd rounder, and not a 1st.

What's the drastic change due to ?

The rookie wage scale pretty much eliminated holdouts. Look at how many teams sign all of their draft picks quickly now, a huge improvement and one good thing that big douche in NYC has brought to the NFL.

If I'm not mistaken, in the past, we did not even begin signing draft picks until shortly before TC, and typically our top pick wouldn't sign until immediately before, or shortly after TC started.

Yet this year, we already have almost all our picks signed, a whole 2 months before TC, including our top pick, albeit a 2nd rounder, and not a 1st.

Slotted salaries came with the new CBA - its been this way the past two years. There is very little negotiation with players drafted outside of the first round - the only negotiation is how much of a player's salary is paid by his old team if cut, the only hang-up in the Griffin negotiations last year.

I see what you all are saying, but it still seems odd, because even last year it seemed that signings were much later, and that was supposedly after the new CBA, which happened the year before. Oh well. No biggie. Maybe my memory mixes me up.

Griffin & LeRibieus signed in mid-July, everyone else signed in May (most signed early May, right after the draft). I think you're remembering Griffin's drawn out negotiation.

Rich Crawford - 5/4/12
Jordan Bernstine - 5/4/12
Adam Gettis - 5/5/12
Kirk Cousins - 5/5/12
Alfred Morris - 5/6/12
Tom Compton - 5/6/12
Keenan Robinson - 5/17/12
Josh LeRibeus - 7/18/12
Robert Griffin III - 7/18/12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.