• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign OT Tony Moll

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 4, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN T TONY MOLL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent offensive tackle Tony Moll.

Moll (6-5, 315) was originally drafted out of Nevada by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round (165th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played three seasons in Green Bay before being traded to the Baltimore Ravens on Sept. 5, 2009. He signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 9, 2011, before being released Sept. 3 of that year. He signed with the San Diego Chargers on Nov. 15, 2011 before entering free agency this offseason.

The 28-year-old tackle has appeared in 63 career games with 22 starts. He played in three games with one start with San Diego in 2011, a year after appearing in all 16 regular season games with Baltimore in 2010.

Moll played collegiately at Nevada, where he appeared in 43 games with 25 starts from 2001-05. As a sophomore in 2003, he started all 11 games at tight end for the Wolf Pack, registering six catches for 67 yards with two touchdowns. He transitioned to offensive line as a junior in 2004, appearing in all 12 games with two starts, before starting all 12 games at tackle during his senior season in 2005.

Moll attended Sonoma Valley (Calif.) H.S., where was selected first-team, all-league at defensive end and at tight end. He was born on Aug. 23, 1983.

Well - he's a big body anyway.

Well, it's another body.

Ok, thanks. To echo the theme in this thread so far, well, it's a body alright.

I wasn't implying he's not a decent pick-up. Emphasis was on the 'big' part :)

On the other hand, we're his 5th NFL team in 7 seasons. So while he may be serviceable, I think that's all we can expect.

So Shanahan says Moll will actually be playing Guard

It's a good thing Griffin has 4.3 speed.

Jordan Black and Moll to come in and compete with Polumbus, Smith (injured as well) and Hurt at OT?

You all are SURE there was no way to cut/restructure Cooley and or Moss and sign Eric Winston in the offseason?

Just asking :)

Also, it was strange to me that for depth the Redskins decided not to sign Bell in late free agency and let him go to the Eagles after Peters went down.

Bell isn't making $10M a year in Philly and might have been a decent one year bridge.

You all are SURE there was no way to cut/restructure Cooley and or Moss and sign Eric Winston in the offseason?
I'm pretty sure Winston never wanted to come here so that's a moot point.

Bell, on the other hand, may have and you raise a good point there.

Nevertheless, next offseason (once again) OL is going to need to be a top priority for us. Too bad we can't start drafting BPA and have to continue drafting for need.

Just asking :)

Of course there was probably a way to restructure Cooley & Moss and sign the big FA OT. But that is how the old regime did things, and their success rate was 0%. How about we try something new?

I mean, we could go back to signing every big name FA out there again, Snyder certainly has the money! I hear Haynesworth may soon be available...

Bowen, Fletcher, and Cofield are quality guys who had put in 16 game seasons repeatedly where they came from. I think the complaint is about picking up guys like who have histories of injuries...and hoping for the best...something the current GM/HC seem to do.

Bowen and Cofield were not big name free agents, they were solid contributors signed to reasonable contracts as pieces for the defense. Every team signs guys who have been injured - in fact, finding a guy who has NOT been injured is very rare. Its a nonsensical complaint.

Fletcher was signed years before Shanahan got here, so not really sure why you bring him up.

If he fails the epitaph will read: The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Mol Flounders......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.