• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign LB Nick Barnett

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 1, 2013
For Immediate Release

REDSKINS SIGN FREE AGENT LB NICK BARNETT

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent linebacker Nick Barnett. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In addition, earlier in the week, the team placed running back Tristan Davis on the Exempt/Left Squad list.

Barnett (6-2, 228) was originally drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the first round (29th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played eight seasons in Green Bay (2003-10) before joining the Buffalo Bills as an unrestricted free agent on July 31, 2011. He was released by the Bills on Feb. 11, 2013.

For his career, Barnett has started all 139 games in which he as appeared, compiling 1,026 tackles (722 solo), 42 passes defensed, 20.5 sacks, 12 interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), six fumbles forced and seven fumbles recovered. He started all 32 of Buffalo’s games in the last two seasons, including the 2011 season in which he tied his career high with three interceptions.

Barnett played collegiately at Oregon State from 1999-2002. He played in 48 games with 29 starts, amassing 249 tackles (143 solo), 30 tackles for loss, 12 passes defensed, eight sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and an interception.

Barnett, 32, attended A.B. Miller H.S. in Fontana, Calif., where he named second-team all-league at linebacker as a senior despite missing the final four games because of injury. He was born on May 27, 1981.

Davis (5-10, 211) originally signed with the Detroit Lions as a college free agent on Aug. 24, 2009. He first joined the Redskins as a practice squad free agent on Oct. 26, 2011. He was released on Nov. 8 of that season and re-signed on Nov. 22 and spent the entire 2012 season on the Redskins’ Reserve/Injured list.

Barnett is a good fit here. At 38 this might be the year Fletcher actually needs a backup and Barnett is a better player than a number of guys signed earlier in FA.

Great signing, considering our cap issue, our needs at that position, and the talent we're getting.
A former 16-game starter for the past 2 season, and leading tackler, but willing to come here as a backup for minimal pay ??
Wow, like I said all of last year. the effect RG3 has on attracting free agents here at a budget price, really offsets a lot of our cap dilemma

Anyone know why Buffalo cut him? How did he play last year? Was it a numbers thing?

Nick

I believe it was an age/question about his knee thing. We're fortunate he was still available. I love this signing.

Anyone know why Buffalo cut him? How did he play last year? Was it a numbers thing?

Nick

From what I could gather, their defense was poor overall so they blew it up and gave the young'uns a chance that were behind him and the veteran safety, George Wilson. I guess Buddy Nix figured out that if the defense was gonna suck, it shouldn't be a highly paid Veteran defense??

I hope it works out for Nix, for I believe I read that the two released from their defense lead the team in tackles. :O

EDIT: OFFICIAL REASON FOR HIM BEING CUT WAS A FAILED PHYSICAL.

Addl Edit: I really like this signing if nothing more than to light a fire under Riley's ass. I was hoping he would make a leap last season and it never happened, in fact I though toward the end of the season he had gotten worse.

Last edited:
From what I could gather, their defense was poor overall so they blew it up and gave the young'uns a chance that were behind him and the veteran safety, George Wilson. I guess Buddy Nix figured out that if the defense was gonna suck, it shouldn't be a highly paid Veteran defense??

I hope it works out for Nix, for I believe I read that the two released from their defense lead the team in tackles. :O

EDIT: OFFICIAL REASON FOR HIM BEING CUT WAS A FAILED PHYSICAL.

Addl Edit: I really like this signing if nothing more than to light a fire under Riley's ass. I was hoping he would make a leap last season and it never happened, in fact I though toward the end of the season he had gotten worse.

Yes. He had a knee issue. Supposedly it's been fixed though, and he's able to play.

Yes. He had a knee issue. Supposedly it's been fixed though, and he's able to play.
He missed no games last season and was only on the injury report 3 times. I'm not seeing the issue here, kinda ticks me off when they mess around with injury reports and "failed physicals" as a means to an end.

He missed no games last season and was only on the injury report 3 times. I'm not seeing the issue here, kinda ticks me off when they mess around with injury reports and "failed physicals" as a means to an end.

Probably just a case of rebuilding and going with the "youth movement"

And according to Barnett's quote on Redskins.com, the feeling is mutual : "No more 6-10 seasons"

Ironically, just one year prior to last season, that's exactly what we were.
Amazing what just one season can do, to entirely change player's perspective from around the league

"I wanted to go to a winning team"

He chose the Redskins.

It's a new day fellas.

Yeah but i'm sure there is language in his contract that if he fails a physical they can release him without being on the hook to pay him his contract..

Probably just a case of rebuilding and going with the "youth movement"

And according to Barnett's quote on Redskins.com, the feeling is mutual : "No more 6-10 seasons"

Ironically, just one year prior to last season, that's exactly what we were.
Amazing what just one season can do, to entirely change player's perspective from around the league

Not to mention the change in culture.. Beyond the record, this team is looking up all the way around. Younger players coming on strong with a lot of valuable depth at positions, something we've lacked before. Prior to last year, our young guys would go elsewhere and break out.

Caught his presser on the .com, said he had the knee cleaned out (arthroscopy) and some stem cell treatment to prolong his career.

I suppose when the physical was given he was doing rehab.

No matter, he's says he's good to go now.

Caught his presser on the .com, said he had the knee cleaned out (arthroscopy) and some stem cell treatment to prolong his career.

I suppose when the physical was given he was doing rehab.

No matter, he's says he's good to go now.

Yeah I caught that too.. Liked his personality during his interview but shame he's not gonna play special teams. "never played special teams in the NFL" That's the downside to veteran depth in the linebacker corps I guess.

Hopefully his knee is a non-issue but I can see why he was on the market, its still a question mark. Hope it all works out, has always seemed like a decent player. :cheers:

Yeah I caught that too.. Liked his personality during his interview but shame he's not gonna play special teams. "never played special teams in the NFL" That's the downside to veteran depth in the linebacker corps I guess.

Hopefully his knee is a non-issue but I can see why he was on the market, its still a question mark. Hope it all works out, has always seemed like a decent player. :cheers:

Seems more and more likely we keep Reed around for special teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.