• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign Draft Picks Jenkins, Rambo

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
May 13, 2013

REDSKINS SIGN DRAFT PICKS JENKINS, RAMBO

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed 2013 fifth-round draft pick linebacker Brandon Jenkins (162nd overall) and sixth-round pick safety Bacarri (buh-CAR-ee) Rambo (191st overall). In addition, the team announced that it has waived wide receiver Jason Thompson.

Jenkins (6-5, 251) played in 40 games with 28 starts at Florida State from 2009-12. In his time as a Seminole, he recorded 119 tackles (81 solo) and exited the program ranking ninth in school history for career sacks (22.5).

Jenkins, 23, was a preseason All-ACC selection before missing the majority of the 2012 season with an injury. His 13.5 sacks as a sophomore in 2010 were the third-most in school history and helped the Seminoles tie for most sacks in the country that season (48).

Rambo (6-0, 215) played in 47 games with 36 starts at Georgia from 2009-12. He exited the program tied for school records in career interceptions (16) and career interceptions returned for touchdowns (three), ranking in the Top 10 all-time in SEC history in both categories.

Rambo, 22, had 73 tackles (47 solo) as a senior last season. He had three interceptions, one year removed from a junior season in which his eight interceptions were second-most in the Football Bowl Subdivision behind only NC State’s David Amerson, a fellow 2013 draft selection of the Redskins.

Thompson originally signed with the Redskins as a college free agent on May 1, 2013.

Good news! Hopefully, the rest won't be far behind although there's plenty of time.

I guess Thompson didn't impress the coaches after they had a chance to review the Rookie Camp film. Any word on who will be taking his spot and get the Training Camp invite?

I still have a hard time believing this kid fell to the 6th round with a resume like this:

tied for school records in career interceptions (16) and career interceptions returned for touchdowns (three), ranking in the Top 10 all-time in SEC history in both categories.

Character issues.

edit: not saying I agree with the 32 NFL GM's that his character issues warranted 6th round with that resume, but it is what they decided. hopefully that winds up being a good thing for us. maybe it'll motivate him to be on good behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Character issues.

Didn't stop Janoris Jenkins from going in the 2nd round last year. Didn't stop Nuke Hopkins from going in the 1st round this year. The list goes on, and on, and on. Elephant is right, its amazing he fell so far.

Didn't stop Janoris Jenkins from going in the 2nd round last year. Didn't stop Nuke Hopkins from going in the 1st round this year. The list goes on, and on, and on. Elephant is right, its amazing he fell so far.

So? The other option is 32 NFL GM's just forgot he existed for the better part of 6 rounds?

It's clear they took his failed drug tests seriously as well as his over aggressiveness on the field (read: LaRon Landry style of play)

When the supposed skill warrants taking a shot despite character issues teams take it. When it doesn't, they don't.

NFL GM's are not immune to terrible decisions either. If they were we wouldn't see stars come out of late rounds or from starting as UDFA's.

So? The other option is 32 NFL GM's just forgot he existed for the better part of 6 rounds?

It's clear they took his failed drug tests seriously as well as his over aggressiveness on the field (read: LaRon Landry style of play)

When the supposed skill warrants taking a shot despite character issues teams take it. When it doesn't, they don't.

NFL GM's are not immune to terrible decisions either. If they were we wouldn't see stars come out of late rounds or from starting as UDFA's.

Ummm....Tyrann Mathieu went three rounds earlier after missing his entire junior year because of multiple failed drug tests, and making comments suggesting he hadn't stopped taking drugs.

There is either something else or yes, 31 other GMs simply forgot he existed. It happens, especially in a draft where his position was as deep as it was.

Ummm....Tyrann Mathieu went three rounds earlier after missing his entire junior year because of multiple failed drug tests, and making comments suggesting he hadn't stopped taking drugs.

Do you want to just go back and forth with individual examples? Are you really trying to argue that character issues don't play a role in the decision process? Our own coach spent 3 years drafting guys early for their character (as well as other things), he said as much.

Te'o fell to the second round because he made up having a girl friend.

If his drug tests and overall character had nothing to do with it then why'd he fall so low Lanky? How did 32 teams with professional scouting agencies unanimously decide to pass on him 5, and for many 6, times?

Never mind, you're right. It's much more likely that 32 teams forgot a guy with that resume existed for 5+ rounds.

Character issues are never a concern. I clearly pulled that out of my ass. :rolleyes:

Do you want to just go back and forth with individual examples? Are you really trying to argue that character issues don't play a role in the decision process? Our own coach spent 3 years drafting guys early for their character (as well as other things), he said as much.

Te'o fell to the second round because he made up having a girl friend.

If his drug tests and overall character had nothing to do with it then why'd he fall so low Lanky? How did 32 teams with professional scouting agencies unanimously decide to pass on him 5, and for many 6, times?

Did I say it had nothing to do with it? Nope, I never said that.

No, I don't want to go back and forth with individual examples, because it would take me all day and I have work to do. As I said before, the list of guys who were drafted early despite character issues is very, very long. I gave you an example of a guy who was dismissed from his team for multiple failed drug tests, who went three rounds earlier! Come on now, T!

Secondary was very deep this year's draft - sometimes guys just inexplicably fall. Character issues alone will not cause a guy to fall to the 6th round if he is as talented as Rambo, plain and simple. Christ, Tyrann is a whisp of a dude, there are a lot questions about his size at this level, his attitude, and the drugs, and he went three rounds earlier.

Never mind, you're right. It's much more likely that 32 teams forgot a guy with that resume existed for 5+ rounds.

Character issues are never a concern. I clearly pulled that out of my ass. :rolleyes:

Or you can just get pissy about it. ;)

It is also possible that the guy plays Safety, a position traditionally drafted lower than many others, and he didn't have the physical tools of the guys taken ahead of him. Heck, the Skins even picked another Safety ahead of him.

The reality is probably a combination of these things. It is a question we as fans can't answer at this point and it is probably a different answer in the case of each and every GM who didn't take him anyway.

It would indeed be nice if they turn him into a starter. Grabbing a rookie starter out of the 6th round would be quite impressive at safety, especially considering Shanahan's history with defenses (although, to be fair, i'm not entirely sure how much of that is his fault.)

Not going early can have quite an array of affects of people.

His first drug charge was because someone in the car had pot, not him (at least that's his story). His second failed test was for accidently eating weed brownies, again at least that's his story.

We're the most suspended-for-drugs team in the league, if I remember correctly. Hopefully he gets his act together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.