• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign CB Tracy Porter

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 15, 2014

REDSKINS SIGN CB TRACY PORTER

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Tracy Porter. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Porter (5-11, 188) is a veteran of six NFL seasons who was originally selected by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (40th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. He appeared in 43 regular season games with 39 starts for the Saints from 2008-11. In 2009, he contributed to New Orleans defeating the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV, returning an interception 74 yards for a touchdown with 3:12 remaining. Porter signed with the Denver Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 23, 2012, where he started four of six regular season games and garnered AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors in Week 1 of the 2012 season.

Last season, Porter signed with the Oakland Raiders as an unrestricted free agent on April 3, 2013, appearing and starting in a career-high 16 games. Last season, he established career highs in tackles (88) and sacks (1.5) and finished tied for the team lead in interceptions (two), one of which he returned for a touchdown.

In 65 career regular season games with 59 starts, Porter has compiled 336 tackles (257 solo), 64 passes defensed, 10 interceptions (three returned for touchdowns), four fumbles forced and two fumbles recovered.

Porter played collegiately at Indiana from 2004-07, starting in 43 games and registering 212 tackles, 16 interceptions and a school-record 413 interception return yards. He was a first-team All-Big Ten selection as a senior in 2007.

Porter, 27, attended Port Allen (La.) H.S., where he was first-team all-district as a senior. He was born on Aug. 11, 1986.

Porter is a good cover guy with ball skills.

He played very well in 2009 and 2012 but had a subpar year in coverage in 2013 in Oakland.

But then who doesn't struggle in Oakland these days :)

he weighs 188 lbs at 5'11!!! there's bigger guys on our board! he's gonna be a nickel back most likely if D-Hall stays at corner.

in the past...we have asked our corners to play physical at the line. amersun is very good at this. hall has gotten better. porter is a good addition in a certain role.

over react much? he's an OK corner. corners with size and skills cost mucho dinero or high draft picks. What did you expect? Really?

Really? If that were true the Seahawks would not be Super Bowl champs.

A number of their key players last year were on one year 'make good' deals, especially on defense, and to a man they did.

The joke here is that these 'name' corners like Asomugha, Bailey, DRC, Revis, etc. are sitting home with no championships.

In today's NFL it is better to have solid but unspectacular cornerbacks with a very good pass rush than it is to have a sterling set of corners and a rush that doesn't get there.

That's certainly how the Giants and Packers won in 2011 and 2010 as well.

he weighs 188 lbs at 5'11!!! there's bigger guys on our board!

Yeah, but can they run as fast as he can?

Maybe if you set the beer cooler out 30 yds, one of us could give him a run for his money... lol

Really? If that were true the Seahawks would not be Super Bowl champs.

A number of their key players last year were on one year 'make good' deals, especially on defense, and to a man they did.

The joke here is that these 'name' corners like Asomugha, Bailey, DRC, Revis, etc. are sitting home with no championships.

In today's NFL it is better to have solid but unspectacular cornerbacks with a very good pass rush than it is to have a sterling set of corners and a rush that doesn't get there.

That's certainly how the Giants and Packers won in 2011 and 2010 as well.

the Hawks spent a lot of money year after year.....QBs anyone?

hmmm...is that why the best teams like the Saints, Pats and Broncos are refurbishing their secondaries with top tier talent...cuz it's not needed?

I don't buy that. either way....IMO...it's immaterial for the Skins...their secondary has sucked for a long time. they have no starting safeties presently, an aging CB in D-hall, and a unknown in Amersun.

Porter?

- 6 seasons, 10 ints, 2.5 sacks, 3 TDs

- 4th team in those 6 seasons

putting things in perspective...Josh Wilson's numbers are all better across the board. Wilson does have one more season under his belt - but he had no ints his first year.

meh....hope he becomes all-pro. not expecting that however.

Hall played very well last season and Amerson really came on at the end of the season. I don't think the secondary is that bad as much as they were put under tremendous pressure last season b/c the defense could not produce any pressure whatsoever up the middle. Hopefully Hatcher will help some with that.

The Giants won the Super Bowl with Corey Webster and Aaron Ross starting at CB.

But they had the best front rush in the league.

Denver is loading up on corners but the truth is the Broncos lost the Super Bowl at the line of scrimmage.

Their OL couldn't protect and losing Beadles and bringing Will Montgomery in doesn't sound as if they have shored things up.

I think people are putting too much on Porter. He's going to be our nickle guy... You're talkin about a guy who was arguably the best corner on his team coming in to be our no. 3. He's better then most no. 3 dbs out there I promise you that.

I remember him being the best cover guy on the Saints Super Bowl team. He had a good 2012 season as well.

So, everything comes down to how he did in Oakland last year?

Give me a break.

I remember him being the best cover guy on the Saints Super Bowl team. He had a good 2012 season as well.

So, everything comes down to how he did in Oakland last year?

Give me a break.

I presented his stats which you adroitly avoided. there's nothing special in those stats for a six year vet. he's depth - a nickleback. fine. I made my point. you have memories!

The Giants won the Super Bowl with Corey Webster and Aaron Ross starting at CB.

But they had the best front rush in the league.

Denver is loading up on corners but the truth is the Broncos lost the Super Bowl at the line of scrimmage.

Their OL couldn't protect and losing Beadles and bringing Will Montgomery in doesn't sound as if they have shored things up.

so..what are you claiming?

that that's a representative sample set?

that every team ought to drop the notion of developing a superior secondary and rely exclusively on a front 3 or 4?

well...the bucs won a championship with a superior front line...two studs in the secondary and a great lb. is that the model to follow?

the Broncos lost because they ran into a better team.

they pretty much kicked butt getting to that point.

you believe the Skins have such a d-line?

I presented his stats which you adroitly avoided. there's nothing special in those stats for a six year vet. he's depth - a nickleback. fine. I made my point. you have memories!

Stats can be misleading at CB... Granted nothing there is jumping off the page at all, but for what we brought him in here to do, i like the move... a lot.

Stats can be misleading at CB... Granted nothing there is jumping off the page at all, but for what we brought him in here to do, i like the move... a lot.

as a nickleback...good by me as well. just tying this to the larger theme that we aren't signing any game changers. Hatcher may be an exception - for a couple years one hopes. otherwise, we've signed decent players. just nothing that raises the bar. I'm looking forward to the draft and hoping we seal the deal there.

as a nickleback...good by me as well. just tying this to the larger theme that we aren't signing any game changers. Hatcher may be an exception - for a couple years one hopes. otherwise, we've signed decent players. just nothing that raises the bar. I'm looking forward to the draft and hoping we seal the deal there.

Yeah but we've signed gamechangers for the last 15 years and found ourselves behind for the future. We need to establish a consistent core of guys that can 'not lose' games. 22 guys that effectively execute the game plan wont blow your doors off, but wont make you face palm. Once we get that core group of players in here, we can get that game changer. We've chased the big name guy before, without the teams best interest in mind.

Yeah but we've signed gamechangers for the last 15 years and found ourselves behind for the future. We need to establish a consistent core of guys that can 'not lose' games. 22 guys that effectively execute the game plan wont blow your doors off, but wont make you face palm. Once we get that core group of players in here, we can get that game changer. We've chased the big name guy before, without the teams best interest in mind.

I'm not saying chase the name. I'm saying chase some of the talent. the market does define who has the talent - and it is more expensive. notice how very few of our cast-aways ever attract much attention?

if we're going the route of developing through the draft that's ok also. but the team ought to be up front about that. it's kinda obvious they know they have talent issues. it's obvious they wanted to pull in a quality safety, a quality cb and another quality wideout. I imagine they think the defense is much better than it has been because Haslet wasn't allowed to deploy it according to his vision.

all this will pass and we will see what happens come Sept. My measuring rod will be the first Iggles game.

There is no reason whatsoever for the team to tell anyone outside of the walls of Ashburn what their plan is. Especially the fans. All we really get, or deserve, comes on gameday. They need to improve the product. But how they do it is on them. Generic team/coach/player speak is all we will, or should, get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.