• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Select CB David Amerson, TE Jordan Reed

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
April 26, 2013

REDSKINS SELECT CB DAVID AMERSON, TE JORDAN REED

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins made two selections on Day 2 of the 2013 NFL Draft, selecting North Carolina State cornerback David Amerson in the second round (No. 51 overall) and Florida tight end Jordan Reed in the third round (No. 85 overall).

Amerson (6-1, 205) started 35 of the 39 career games in which he played at NC State, amassing 169 tackles (131 solo), 18 interceptions and three interception returns for touchdowns. His 18 career interceptions are the most in school history and are tied for the third-most in ACC history.
As a junior last season, Amerson started all 13 games for the Wolfpack, earning second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors after leading the conference in interceptions for the second straight year. A year earlier as a sophomore, Amerson led the nation with 13 interceptions, setting ACC and NC State records in the process. That season, he was named the winner of the Jack Tatum Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive back.

Amerson, 21, was born on Dec. 8, 1991. He attended Dudley H.S. in Greensboro, N.C., where he was ranked as the No. 19 safety in the country by Rivals.com.

Reed (6-2, 243) started 26 of the 36 career games in which he played at Florida, 25 at tight end and one at quarterback. He caught 79 passes for 945 yards and six receiving touchdowns in his collegiate career.

As a junior in 2012, Reed was named first-team All-SEC by the Associated Press after leading the Gators with a career-high 45 receptions for 559 yards with three receiving touchdowns. His 45 receptions were the most by a Florida tight end since Aaron Hernandez’s 68 receptions in 2009.

Reed, 22, was born on July 3, 1990. He attended New London (Conn.) H.S., where he was a three-year starter at quarterback and led the Whalers to an undefeated regular season in 2007.

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF DAVID AMERSON

· The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a defensive back since selecting cornerback Carlos Rogers out of Auburn with the ninth overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

· The selection marks the earliest a Mike Shanahan-coached team has taken a defensive back since selecting cornerback Willie Middlebrooks out of Minnesota with the No. 24 overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft as head coach of the Denver Broncos.

· Amerson is the sixth defensive back selected by a Mike Shanahan-coached team in the first 51 picks of a draft, joining Middlebrooks, Kenoy Kennedy (No. 45, DEN 2000), Deltha O’Neal (No. 15, DEN 2000), Tory James (No. 44, DEN 1996) and Terry McDaniel (No. 9, LA Raiders 1988).

· Amerson is the fifth defensive back drafted by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining DeJon Gomes (No. 146, 2011), Brandyn Thompson (No. 213, 2011), Richard Crawford (No. 213, 2012) and Jordan Bernstine (No. 217, 2012).
· Amerson is the seventh player from NC State selected by the Redskins all-time and the second in the Common Draft era. Below are the six previous NC State products drafted by the Redskins:

Year Rd. Pick Pos. Player

1937 10 96 E Dom “Mac” Cara

1952 22 259 B Jim O'Rourke

1953 11 123 B Alex Webster

1958 11 126 T Darrell Dess

1960 18 208 G John Lawrence

2000 3 64 DB Lloyd Harrison

· Amerson is the first NC State product drafted by a Mike Shanahan-coached team.

· Amerson is the fifth player to be selected by the Redskins with the No. 51 pick of a draft all-time, joining the following players:

Year Rd. Pick Pos. Player College

1945 6 51 E Johnny North Vanderbilt

1953 5 51 B Nick Carras Missouri

1997 2 51 LB Greg Jones Colorado

2008 2 51 WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma

· Amerson shares his overall selection with Redskins Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who was selected with the No. 51 overall selection in the 1979 NFL Draft.

· Amerson is the fourth Atlantic Coast Conference product selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining Jarvis Jenkins (2011, Clemson), Leonard Hankerson (2011, Miami) and Markus White (2011, Florida State).

· Amerson’s selection at No. 51 marked the latest the Redskins had selected their first pick of a draft since taking defensive tackle Tracy Rocker from Auburn with their first selection of the 1989 NFL Draft at No. 66 overall.

· Amerson is the Redskins’ 28th pick of the Mike Shanahan era.

· Amerson is the 425th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 33rd second-round selection in that time frame. He is the 51st second-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JORDAN REED

· The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a tight end since selecting Fred Davis out of the University of Southern California with the No. 48 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. He is the first tight end selected by the Redskins in the Mike Shanahan era.

· Reed is the second tight end selected by the Redskins in the third round all-time, joining Utah State’s Chris Cooley, the team’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, who was selected by Washington with the No. 81 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

· Reed is the 12th player from the University of Florida selected by the Redskins all-time and the fifth Gator selected by the Redskins in the Common Draft era.

· Reed is only the second player all-time selected by the Redskins at No. 85 overall, joining Kansas running back Bert Coan (1962).

· Reed is the seventh college tight end selected by a Shanahan-coached team and the first since Tony Scheffler, who was selected by Shanahan’s Denver Broncos in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

· Reed is the third Southeastern Conference product drafted by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining college teammate Maurice Hurt (2011) and LSU linebacker Perry Riley (2010).

· Reed is the eighth player from the University of Florida selected by a Shanahan-coached team, the most of any school.

· Reed is the third player selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era to have played for a school at which Shanahan used to coach, joining Hurt (Florida, 2011) and tackle Trent Williams (Oklahoma, 2010). Including Shanahan’s time in Los Angeles and Denver, Reed is the 18th player taken by a Shanahan-coached team to come from a university at which Shanahan has coached in his career (Oklahoma, Northern Arizona, Eastern Illinois, Minnesota and Florida).

· Reed is the Redskins’ 29th pick of the Mike Shanahan era.

· Reed is the 426th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 29th third-round selection in that time frame.

Come on Ax, tell us how you REALLY feel. ;) I wasn't a fan of letting Lavar make the announcement either. I threw up in my mouth a little whe he said "MY Washington Redskins select.....". Not sure WHY Snyder continues to allow his ASSociation with the team but I guess some of the less knowledgable fans still like him.

BB, seeing your location, I have to ask if you've ever been to the Horn Lake, Mississippi Missionary Baptist Church. :D

Last edited:
I'm not Baptist.

Ok, to keep the thread from, eh, derailing...

Liking the first pick more and more. Thinking that Reed could be an absolute stud in this offense.

I'm not Baptist.

Ok, to keep the thread from, eh, derailing...

Liking the first pick more and more. Thinking that Reed could be an absolute stud in this offense.

BB, you have to click the link to get the full effect of the joke. ;)

I guess I'm OK with the Amerson pick but I get to be first in line to chew his ass out when he starts looking like Laron Landry on those double moves.

Watching the highlights of Reed, I agree that he could look good in our offense but again, the routes in those highlight reels are ones I could see Niles Paul pulling off if we had tried using him in that capacity. If he shows in TC to be an upgrade over Niles then fine but I don't really remember seeing us trying to use Paul last season the way the Pats use Hernandez so that's my biggest question with that pick.

Jimbo, I wonder if we didn't use him that way because the coaches didn't like what they saw in practice? When Sleepy went down, that should have ample opportunity for anyone who could have performed in that role to actually perform thusly. Given that Niles didn't contribute much outside of ST, I'm wondering if maybe the staff just didn't think he could get it done?

Cool breezes and butterflies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for what it's worth, you've been missed LSF and good to see you back on BGO.

I can't stand Arrington, but I'm not sure it's all that big a deal.

I'm on record saying I don't understand the vitriol some fans harbor for Arrington.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

He's an ass - far more so than you would ever guess. I've been around him in the locker too on numerous occasions. Total and complete ass.

Add me to the list that agrees 100% with Ax. Sorry if that's buzzkill but him being involved in any capacity is buzzkill to begin with.

It's not about having a problem with Lavar or the Skins allowing him to announce the pick. It's about expressing it in a way each and every person here knows is not what BGO is about. I'd consider it a personal favor if we could all try to keep that in mind we get ready to hit the Post button.

Peanut butter and chocolate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimbo, I wonder if we didn't use him that way because the coaches didn't like what they saw in practice? When Sleepy went down, that should have ample opportunity for anyone who could have performed in that role to actually perform thusly. Given that Niles didn't contribute much outside of ST, I'm wondering if maybe the staff just didn't think he could get it done?

Goal, it's VERY possible that Paul didn't show he could handle those types of plays in practice. It's also possible those plays really weren't part of the playbook last year and they decided that's a route they now want to go. Who knows? Like I said, if Reed shows he's THAT guy in Training Camp and does it better than Paul, I can't possibly have a problem with it. In fact, I'll be jumping for joy but I can promise THAT won't be a pretty sight. :betterwink:

Drop it guys.

It's not about having a problem with Lavar or the Skins allowing him to announce the pick. It's about expressing it in a way each and every person here knows is not what BGO is about. I'd consider it a personal favor if we could all try to keep that in mind we get ready to hit the Post button.

I think says it all for me, right here. Thanks, bud.

I have NO issue whatsoever with any feelings any of you/us have against Lavar. To me he was a super-hyped player who never came close to what he coulda/shoulda/woulda been. Matter of fact, I agree that the guy's a huge dick and, just like you, was shocked that he was chosen to announce the pick. I, on the other hand, like that the management is reaching out to old players, LA included, and trying to bring the Redskin family together again. Something that was really missing for so long. Again, not sure about THIS choice, but that's something we can discuss.

Which brings me to.....

There iss a certain level of...how should I say.....matureness.....that I've come to expect from this site. And, like Mark said above, if we could just try to remember that before hitting the post button I'd really appreciate it. Ax, you make a lot of great points all the time. This one, though....really caught me and made me feel cheated out of the football experience I've grown to expect here at BGO.

Thanks for understanding, guys and gals.

bruce

I will now move on to other subjects.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.