• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins, Richmond Commemorate Opening of Redskins Training Center

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release

July 8, 2013

REDSKINS, BON SECOURS AND CITY OF RICHMOND COMMEMORATE OPENING OFBON SECOURS WASHINGTON REDSKINS TRAINING CENTER

RICHMOND, Va. – Leaders from the state of Virginia, City of Richmond and Bon Secours Virginia Health System gathered today with Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones and former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, along with community partners and guests, to celebrate the opening of the $10 million Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center, the new home of the Redskins summer training camp. The Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center opens to the public on July 25, with the start of the Redskins training camp, which runs through Aug. 16 (http://redskinsrva.bonsecours.com).

The pre-opening day event kicked off with a Presentation of Colors by the Fort Lee (Va.) Color Guard, followed by Richmond-area youth leading the audience in reciting America’s Pledge of Allegiance. Former American Idol favorite and Richmond native, Elliott Yamin, sang the National Anthem, coinciding with skydivers landing onto the playing fields. Other highlights included children and invited guests entering the stage through a giant Redskins football helmet, as well as music by Richmond Public Schools’ All-City Marching Band.

“Today marks an exciting, significant milestone in Richmond as we celebrate an important day, not only for Redskins fans, but for Richmond residents as well,” said Mayor Dwight C. Jones. “We are grateful to all of our valued partners who worked tirelessly to ensure that this wonderful facility was built, and on time. We especially thank Bon Secours for joining us in this partnership that will generate millions of dollars to the city’s economy. We also thank Bon Secours for their vision in bringing year-round health services to this state-of-the-art facility making Richmond an even better place to live and work.”

The $10 million Training Center includes two full-size natural grass fields, a natural grass drill field, spectator areas, locker rooms and a high-tech training room. Bon Secours Virginia Health System also will ensure the facility serves as a valuable year-round resource for the community when camp is not in session. They will operate the facility as a full-service sports medicine rehabilitation and men’s health center on the property throughout the year, in addition to offering fitness and education programs. The facility also will be home to movin’ mania, Bon Secours’ healthy kids initiative.

“Bon Secours is proud to open the world-class Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center, and we look forward to the Redskins’ arrival in a few weeks,” said Peter J. Bernard, CEO, Bon Secours Virginia Health System, official Training Camp Hospital Partner of the Washington Redskins. “Bon Secours for many years has extended its community health services through partnerships with the City of Richmond. And we take great pride in what we’ve accomplished with the city and the Washington Redskins, and the impact it will have, both economically and from a health perspective.”

The City of Richmond is ensuring the facility will be available for a variety of sporting events, youth programming, tournaments and other uses that generate revenue and positive exposure for the City of Richmond when camp is not in session. Among the other noteworthy components of the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center will be a new city park with a multi-tier outdoor amphitheater and walking trails to enhance the benefits for residents, as well as camp attendees.

The year-round Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center will bring an estimated $40 million investment to Richmond and hundreds of new jobs. The three-week training camp is expected to attract more than 100,000 fans and bring tourism opportunities to Richmond, an estimated economic impact of $8.5 million annually. The Redskins training camp represents the single largest team sports event to take place within the Commonwealth of Virginia.

“Hail to the Redskins and welcome to Richmond! We are honored that the Washington Redskins call Virginia home, from their corporate headquarters in Loudoun County to their new training camp in the Commonwealth’s capital city,” said Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell. “I urge Virginians from Bristol to Norfolk to Arlington to make a trip to Richmond this summer to see their NFC East Champion Redskins prepare for another season of gridiron success!”

Redskins training camp will offer two practice sessions tentatively scheduled for each day, highlighted by Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday, Aug. 3. Admission is free for all fans. Practices range between one and two hours long. Following practice, Redskins players and coaches will be available to sign autographs and take pictures with fans, schedules permitting.

“The Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center is a state-of-the art facility. It gives players and coaches everything they will need to prepare for the season,” said Joe Theismann, legendary Redskins quarterback. “I loved going away for training camp because players build camaraderie and a real sense of 'team’ by being together in one environment. The world-class facility in Richmond will provide an exciting and unique training experience, especially since it was built specifically for players and fans.”

We doing a BGO training camp event? I would be interested in possibly attending.

I'm waiting to see if they offer me VIP passes like they did last year. If they do then I'm definitely going, but only on 1 specific day. If not then which day I can go is opened up but I also may decide not to...

By the way, here's a picture of the facility under construction back in April that was sent out:
skins-training-camp.jpg

The new facility is 5-10 minutes away from where I work. I didn't go to the grand opening yesterday but I've been by a few times to check progress. Looks very impressive. Only problem I see is parking and traffic. I've read there is going to be parking at City Stadium and a shuttle for $7 and they claim there will be other city parking in the area for $5 a day. I don't know where that's going to be though unless they've opened up some space I wasn't aware of. Parking in that area has always been tough. Shuttle may be the best bet. I'll ride by there a little later and do some recon work for anyone out of town who will be driving in.

That'd be great, HF. Used to live in Chesterfield, so I know the area pretty well.

Thanks!

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good: The (nearly) completed facility looks fantastic. The two fields look practice ready and the support facility looks top notch (from the outside). A buddy and I walked around the outside of fence by the street entrance and there were a few workers doing a few small things around the grounds but for the most part it looked ready to go.

The bad: The parking situation isn't perfect. There is no direct parking at the facility except for the staff and players. Your best bet seems to be to park at the Diamond (3001 N. Boulevard and directly off the 95 exit) and to walk over. It will cost $5 to park there. It's about a 10 minute walk from that parking lot to the training field which isn't too bad. There are a couple of other lots that are supposed to be open but this will be the biggest by far of any of the ones that are within walking distance. From what I understand there aren't any shuttles from this lot but I'm not 100% on that one. If you can't make the walk or you have issues with the heat it looks like your best bet is to park at City Stadium (600 McCloy St). You can catch a $7 shuttle from there. It's only a few miles from the facility but it's not really walkable, at least not easily.

Some additional parking info. All these are $5 except for the City Stadium lot which is $7:

- 9230 N. Meadow St. has 325 spaces available and is walkable

- 840 Hermitage Rd. has 120 spaces and is walkable

- 2200 W. Broad St has 220 spaces and is walkable

- The Diamond 3001 North Boulevard has 1975 spaces and would be about a 10 minute walk. This will likely be your best bet unless you arrive very early.

- First Baptist Church 2709 monument Ave has 120 spaces and is walkable

- City Stadium 600 McCloy St. has 1000 spaces and is NOT walkable. Shuttle costs $7. I could never get a straight answer if the $7 fee is per person for the shuttle. My guess would be that it is. I do know it covers a round trip...still seems a bit steep to me, but I'm cheap.

Yeah... that's why I never go. I always hear it's just way more of a zoo than it's worth.

I never got anything about VIP passes. I suppose that was a one time thing and I missed my chance :(

Supposedly there's a lot more space and its a much better set-up this year. You don't need VIP to get within 10ft of the fields, and there are much better sightlines. I'd go if I was in town, but unfortunately...bah.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try to give it a go. My kids really want to, so I'll make the effort.

I'm going to go Wednesday or Thursday next week. I'm going to have 4 kids in tow...so wish me luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.