• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins ready to roll out new-look defense to stymie Eagles

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
I found this interesting article by Jim Corbett of USATODAY about the QB pressuring defense Haslett used to great effect against the Bills and that he plans to use against the Eagles.

ASHBURN, Va. — And you thought all of the Washington Redskins' wrinkles were on offense.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has deployed a new defensive scheme — the Swift Package — which was unveiled in Washington's 30-7 preseason rout of the Buffalo Bills last week. The six-linebacker front wreaked havoc and netted two sacks and plenty of confusion in that game.

Now Haslett and the Redskins are hoping the new alignment will confuse the heck out of the Philadelphia Eagles' up-tempo offense, just as new Philly coach Chip Kelly's guys are trying to vex the Redskins.

The Swift Packages is designed to create mismatches and disguise pressure, and as linebacker Brian Orakpo said, "It's doing great for us so far."

The hope is, when the Redskins meet the Eagles in a Week 1 Monday Night Football showdown Sept. 9, the defense will create more chaos than Kelly's high-speed offense can.

Haslett's creative alignment, from left to right, starts with eighth-year pro Darryl Tapp, rookie Brandon Jenkins and Ryan Kerrigan taking three-point stances along the line of scrimmage. Orakpo stands up behind Kerrigan at right outside linebacker, while Perry Riley lines up at the left outside position, and London Fletcher, in his 16th season, mans the middle.

Head coach Mike Shanahan and Haslett have tried to prepare their defense for the highly anticipated opener since the first day of training camp by having the Redskins first-team offense mimic the Eagles attack run by quarterback Michael Vick. Orakpo and others said part of this week has been dedicated to studying and stopping the Eagles.

"We've been doing a lot of no-huddle offense and a lot of two-minute situations for several weeks now to help the defense play and get lined up quickly," Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins said. "Our defense also got a taste of the up-tempo in the last preseason game against Buffalo. They'll certainly be as prepared as they can be for Week 1, considering we haven't seen much tape of the Eagles."

Defensive end Stephen Bowen says the Redskins will be ready.

"We've been working on the up-tempo offense every day," Bowen said. "Coaches have put a lot of emphasis on it. Honestly, the practices have been way harder than when we got to the games. We're all conditioned at this point. But we've also done a good job of communicating, getting the defensive calls in quick across the board."

And now they have a counterpunch of their own — with the potential to keep Vick and his protectors on their heels.

Haslett's idea for the package was to maximize the strengths of Jenkins, a pass-rusher from Florida State taken in the fifth round, alongside Tapp and Kerrigan, who have defensive end experience.

"It's just something to try to get a little more speed on the field, and we're just trying some things out right now," Haslett said. "We ran it last week to see what it looked like. And I thought those guys did a nice job with it."

Bowen believes a unit infused with more speed — given that rookie cornerback David Amerson and safety Bacarri Rambo will start in a remade secondary — has the potential to be one of the league's best.

And there's no better way to help ease the strain on a young secondary than with a more effective pass rush, even if it takes a gimmick or two.

"We really can be a top-five defense," Bowen said. "With the Swift Package, the more we can do to be creative, then offensive lines can't just lock in on one guy. That package is going to confuse a lot of teams."

Article link: Redskins ready to roll out new-look defense to stymie Eagles

P.S.-Sneak Preview.

This article prompted a conversation in one of the Eagles fan forums that will be included in the Redskins Recon for the game which, by the way, should be posted by tomorrow evening.

At the end of the day I still do not trust Vick to play mistake-free ball for 60 minutes and this offense seems to ask him to make decisions even faster. It's a recipe for losing games 34-27 instead of 24-17.

What separates Griffin and Wilson is they don't turn the ball over much so their drives end in punts if not scores.

Vick has always had problems with reading coverages and with taking contact without fumbling.

The Eagles should be better with Peters and Johnson at OT this year, but I don't expect them to win more than 6 or 7 games.

so....does the Swift Package handle the run game well?

There was this guy I heard the other night on NFL Network named something like Akbar Zujhy-gjvkjh44-8ofdkjfdk or something to that effect. He was going on and on about how Chip Kelly working with Mike Vick combined with our defense was gonna make this reminiscent of the Monday Night Massacre we suffered to those aholes.

Seriously, the guy was talking like Chip Kelly was Don Shula and Vick was 24 years old. He was an embarrassment to himself and completely clueless. And as if that wasn't bad enough, he proceeded to explain why the Eagles would completely dominate and win the division and contend for the SB this year. I laughed so hard I wanted to vomit.

Last edited:
maybe they did find a way to put all these linebackers on the field at the same time...

Seriously, the guy was talking like Chip Kelly was Don Shula and Vick was 24 years old. He was an embarrassment to himself and completely clueless. And as if that wasn't bad enough, he proceeded to explain why the Eagles would completely dominate and win the division and contend for the SB this year. I laughed so hard I wanted to vomit.

Well, it's at least somewhat refreshing not to hear everyone predict the Cowboys make the trip to the Super Bowl, for the zillionth year in a row

It's time for a Monday night payback. As in a HUGE payback. If the D can really do a number on Chippy Vick, then all the better. But I want us to put fifty on the board at a minimum.

It's time for a Monday night payback. As in a HUGE payback. If the D can really do a number on Chippy Vick, then all the better. But I want us to put fifty on the board at a minimum.

They've got the Body Bag Game AND the Monday Night Massacre.....and what do we have ?

"Redskins befuddle the no-huddle"

ehh......nice....but doesn't have the same punch as the previous names

leave it to Sal Pal and all the Philly backers to be tooting the horn on a club that limped home at 4-12 last year and still has some significant holes in the back seven and in the interior OL. Oh, did I mention they lost Jeremy Maclin for the season?

Actually, I think the story is going to be the WASHINGTON offense. The return of a healthy Garcon, Davis and Helu give Griffin the kind of supporting cast that other passers such as Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have enjoyed for the past several years.

They've got the Body Bag Game AND the Monday Night Massacre.....and what do we have ?

"Redskins befuddle the no-huddle"

ehh......nice....but doesn't have the same punch as the previous names

We have Lombardi trophys, and that always trumps anything Philly has....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.