• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins OL coaching changes-an upgrade?

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
This seems to have flown under the radar the past few days but the Redskins, a month after hiring Chris Foerster from the 49ers as OL coach have added Chris Morgan from the Raiders as Assistant OL coach. Here's a blurb about Morgan.

ap100803018249.jpg

The Redskins have announced the hiring of Chris Morgan as Assistant Offensive Line Coach; Morgan held the same position with the Oakland Raiders in 2009-2010..

In college, Morgan was an offensive lineman, and his position coach at the time was one Tom Cable; he would go on to serve as a grad asstant on Cable's staff at the University of Idaho. When Cable went on to become the head coach of the Oakland Raiders, he brought Morgan in; when Cable was relieved of his duties, Morgan was not retained by the new head coach.

But Cable wasn't just keeping Morgan around for his personality. "Out all the players that I have coached who have gone into the coaching profession, Chris is the greatest student and finest teacher of what offensive line play is about," Cable said (according to the press release). That's some high praise.

The Raiders' 2010 offensive line paved the way for Oakland's backs to rush for the second-most yards in the NFL last season (2,494) with the second-highest yards per carry (4.9). The Redskins, by contrast, finished thirtieth in the league in rushing yards, with 1,461, and fifteenth in yards per carry.

Link:http://blog.redskins.com/2011/02/08/redskins-add-assistant-offensive-line-coach/

What I'm curious about is what this may mean concerning how Shanahan&Co. may be approaching the OL vis-a-vis draft additions or FAs. Does this indicate a "do more with what we already have" approach? Or will we see a more OL-oriented targeting in the draft and free agency?

Thoughts?

I sure hope they want to work on the line than to just have these guys try to make them "better" than they are. We all know how bad this line has been for quite some time. Unfortunately though I can see Shanahan playing the same patch game as Zorn and Gibbs v2.0 did.

Who knows though, maybe they'll surprise us?

What I'm curious about is what this may mean concerning how Shanahan&Co. may be approaching the OL vis-a-vis draft additions or FAs. Does this indicate a "do more with what we already have" approach? Or will we see a more OL-oriented targeting in the draft and free agency?

Thoughts?

At this point, I think its an "upgrade this position however humanly possible" situation.

the real solution to the Redskins offensive line problems is an infusion of talent :)

that often works best :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.