• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Official 2012 Schedule

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 17, 2012

THANKSGIVING GAME AGAINST COWBOYS
HIGHLIGHTS REDSKINS’ 2012 SCHEDULE

ASHBURN, Va. – The National Football League announced its 2012 regular season schedule tonight, and the Washington Redskins’ 2012 schedule features a Thanksgiving game at arch-rival Dallas in Week 12 followed by an appearance on Monday Night Football at FedExField against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants in Week 13.

Washington will kick off its 2012 campaign on the road against the New Orleans Saints on Sept. 9, at 1 p.m. ET, on FOX. A second consecutive away game will follow in Week 2, as the Redskins face the St. Louis Rams for the fifth consecutive year. The contest will air on FOX at 4:05 p.m. ET.

The Redskins’ home opener is set for Sept. 23, at 1 p.m. ET, against the Cincinnati Bengals on CBS. The Week 3 matchup marks the latest Redskins’ home opener since 2001.

In Week 4, Washington will travel to Tampa Bay to take on the Buccaneers on Sept. 30, at 4:15 p.m. The game will feature the return of former Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris, who joined the Redskins’ coaching staff in the offseason as the team’s new defensive backs coach. Morris helped guide the Buccaneers to a seven-game turnaround in wins from 2009 to 2010, the largest turnaround in the NFL that season.

On Oct. 7 in Week 5, the Redskins will host the Atlanta Falcons for the first time since 2006. The contest will air on FOX at 1 p.m. ET. The following week, the Redskins will host the Minnesota Vikings on Oct. 14, for the third consecutive season. The contest will air on FOX at 4:15 p.m. ET.

Washington will face their first division rival in Week 7 when the Redskins travel to face the New York Giants on Oct. 21, at 1 p.m. ET, on FOX. This is the latest the Redskins have had their first game against a divisional opponent since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

In Week 8, the Redskins will travel to Heinz Field to face the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 28, at 1 p.m. ET, on FOX. It will be the first time Washington has visited Pittsburgh since 2004.

The second half of the slate will begin with a home contest against the Carolina Panthers in Week 9. It will be the Panthers’ first visit to FedExField since the 2006 season. That game will be followed by the Redskins’ bye week, which will be the team’s latest since 2008 (Week 10).

In Weeks 10-15 and 17, NFL games are subject to flexible scheduling. In Week 11, Washington will host Philadelphia following the bye week for a third consecutive season.

The Redskins will visit the Dallas Cowboys on Nov. 22, looking to win their first Thanksgiving game in Dallas. The contest, which is the Redskins’ first Thanksgiving Day game since 2002, will air on FOX at 4:15 p.m. ET.
The Dallas game will be followed by a home Monday Night Football matchup against the New York Giants in Week 13. The game will mark the ninth consecutive season in which the Redskins have appeared on Monday Night Football.

Washington faces back-to-back AFC North opponents in Weeks 14 and 15, home against Baltimore and away against Cleveland, respectively.

In Week 16, the Redskins will travel to Philadelphia to face the Eagles for the teams’ ninth all-time December meeting. Washington holds a 5-3 record in December games played in Philadelphia. That contest will take place on Dec. 23 on FOX at 1 p.m.

Washington will close its regular season on Dec. 30, at home against Dallas. The last time the Redskins closed the regular season against the Cowboys was in 2007, a 27-6 Washington win as the Redskins prepared for the playoffs.

NOTES ON THE REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE:

@ New Orleans Saints
• The Redskins are 23-19 in season openers since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. A win would be Washington’s third consecutive season opener and would represent the first time the Redskins had done so since the team won openers in four consecutive years from 2002-05.
• Head Coach Mike Shanahan holds a 14-4 record in season openers as a head coach. His 14 season-opening victories lead the NFL among active head coaches.
• Shanahan is 2-0 in season openers with the Redskins. With a win in the 2012 season opener, Shanahan will become the first Redskins coach since George Allen to win his first three season openers with the team. Allen won his first six season openers with the Redskins from 1971-76.
• The game is the Redskins’ third season opener against New Orleans all-time. The Redskins are 2-0 against the Saints in season openers, having opened the 1969 and 1975 seasons with wins against New Orleans by scores of 26-20 and 41-3, respectively.
• Washington’s opener against the Saints will be only the second time the Redskins have opened the season against an NFC South opponent since the division’s creation in 2002, with the Redskins having opened the 2004 season with a 16-10 win against Tampa Bay.
• The Redskins are 15-8 against New Orleans all-time, including an 8-3 record against the Saints on the road.
• The game will be the Redskins’ first in New Orleans since 2006, when the Redskins defeated the Saints, 16-10. The Redskins are currently riding a three-game winning streak in New Orleans and haven’t lost in the Crescent City since 1992.

@ St. Louis Rams
• The Redskins are 22-9-1 all-time in the regular season against the Rams, including a 13-4-1 regular season record against the Rams in road games.
• 2011 will mark the fifth consecutive season in which the Redskins have played the Rams in the regular season. This is only the second time since divisional realignment in 2002 that the Redskins have faced a non-divisional opponent in five consecutive seasons, having faced Tampa Bay each year from 2003-07.
• The Redskins are 2-2 in the last four seasons against St. Louis, including a 17-10 win at the Edward Jones Dome in 2011.

vs. Cincinnati Bengals
• The Redskins’ home opener against the Bengals in Week 3 represents the latest the Redskins have opened their home slate since 2001, when the team opened its home slate against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 3.
• The Redskins are 29-13 in home openers since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, including having won each of their last five home openers dating back to 2007.
• The Week 3 matchup will be the earliest the Redskins and Bengals have ever played. The teams’ earliest meeting to date came in the 1974 and 1991 seasons when the teams met in Week 4.
• The all-time series record between the Redskins and Bengals is tied at 4-4.
• The teams have only played twice in the last 20 years, with Cincinnati winning games during the 2004 and 2008 seasons.
• Shanahan is 5-3 all-time against the Bengals, including 2-1 in home games.
• The Redskins are seeking their first home win against Cincinnati since Dec. 15, 1985.

@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
• The Redskins will attempt to even their all-time regular season record against Tampa Bay at 9-9.
• The Redskins will seek their first regular season win in Tampa Bay since 1993. Washington’s only win in Tampa Bay since 1993 came in the NFC Wild Card Round following the 2005 season.
• Shanahan is 3-2 all-time against the Buccaneers and 1-1 on the road.
• The game is the Redskins’ final contest of September. The Redskins are 105-88-4 all-time in games played in September.

vs. Atlanta Falcons
• The Redskins hold a 15-6-1 all-time advantage against the Falcons, including postseason games.
• Washington is 9-2 all-time in regular season home games against Atlanta.
• A Redskins’ victory would be the team’s first home win against the Falcons since Dec. 19, 1993.
• Shanahan is 4-2 all-time against the Falcons, including a 34-19 win in Super Bowl XXXIII during his time with the Denver Broncos.

vs. Minnesota Vikings
• The Redskins and Vikings will play each other for the third time in as many seasons, marking the first time in history the teams will have played regular season games against one another in three consecutive seasons.
• This is the third straight season in which the Redskins will host the Vikings at FedExField.
• The Redskins hold an 11-10 all-time series edge against the Vikings, including postseason play.

@ New York Giants
• The Redskins open divisional play against the Giants in Week 7, the latest the team has opened divisional play since the creation of the NFC East following the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.
• The Redskins and Giants have faced each other in the regular season 158 times, making them each team’s most common opponent.
• The Redskins swept the eventual Super Bowl champion Giants last season, the team’s first sweep of the Giants since 1999. The Redskins will attempt to sweep the Giants in consecutive years for the first time since the 1982-83 seasons.
• A year after having defeated the Giants, 23-10, at MetLife Stadium, the Redskins will attempt to win consecutive road games against the Giants for the first time since the 1999-2000 seasons.
• The Redskins are seeking three consecutive victories against the Giants for the first time since 1998-2000, when the team won four in a row.

@ Pittsburgh Steelers
• The Redskins hold a 42-31-3 all-time regular season record against the Steelers, including a 22-19 record in games played in Pittsburgh.
• The Redskins will be playing their first regular season game in Pittsburgh since Nov. 28, 2004, a 16-7 Steelers’ victory.
• The Redskins are seeking their first regular season win against the Steelers since Nov. 17, 1991, a 41-14 win against Chuck Noll’s Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium.
• Including postseason games, Shanahan is 4-2 all-time against the Steelers.
• Shanahan is 3-1 against Pittsburgh in regular season contests.

vs. Carolina Panthers
• The Redskins are 7-3 against the Panthers all-time and hold an undefeated 5-0 record against Carolina at home.
• The game will mark the first time the Redskins and Panthers have played each other in the regular season in consecutive years since the teams played in five straight seasons from 1997-2001.
• The Redskins’ game against the Panthers will be the team’s last before a Week 10 bye. The Week 10 bye is the Redskins’ latest since 2008, when the team entered a Week 10 bye with a 6-3 record.

vs. Philadelphia Eagles
• The Redskins hold a 78-70-5 all-time regular season record against the Eagles.
• The Redskins are 40-34-3 in regular season home games against the Eagles all-time.
• Since bye weeks were instituted in 1990, the Redskins are 11-12 in games following bye weeks.
• Shanahan is currently 10-6 in games following bye weeks.

@ Dallas Cowboys
• The Redskins travel to Texas to face the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day, marking the Redskins’ first Thanksgiving game since the Redskins faced Dallas on Thanksgiving Day in 2002.
• The Redskins will be seeking their second Thanksgiving Day win. The Redskins’ last win on Thanksgiving Day came in 1973 when George Allen’s Redskins defeated the Detroit Lions, 20-0.
• The game will be the 13th Thursday game in Redskins history and the eighth contested on Thanksgiving Day.
• Shanahan is 2-1 all-time on Thanksgiving Day, including a 2-0 record against the Cowboys. Shanahan’s Broncos defeated the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day in the 2001 and 2005 seasons.
• The Redskins’ last five road games at Dallas have all been decided by five points or less.

vs. New York Giants
• The Redskins will face the Giants on Monday Night Football for the first time since 2009.
• The Redskins are 26-34 all-time in games played on Monday Night Football but are 16-15 in Monday Night Football games played at home.
• The Redskins are one of nine NFL teams with an active streak of Monday Night Football appearances for at least eight consecutive seasons.
• The game will be the Redskins’ 61st appearance on Monday Night Football. The Redskins’ 60 appearances entering 2012 are third-most in the NFC, trailing only Dallas (73) and San Francisco (66).
• A win would give the Redskins consecutive home victories against the Giants since the 2004-05 seasons.
• The game is the Redskins’ third straight against a divisional opponent, the first time the Redskins have had a three-game stretch against NFC East opponents since Weeks 15-17 of the 2005 season.

vs. Baltimore Ravens
• The Ravens lead the all-time series 3-1, but the lone Redskins’ win was a 10-3 victory in 2000 in the midst of the Ravens’ Super Bowl season.
• The game will be the teams’ first meeting since Dec. 7, 2008, a 24-10 Ravens victory.
• Shanahan is 3-3 against Baltimore in regular season play but is 3-1 in home games against the Ravens.

@ Cleveland Browns
• The Redskins are 10-33-1 all-time against the Browns but have won five of the last seven meetings, including the teams’ last meeting, a 14-11 Redskins’ victory in 2008.
• A Redskins’ win would be the team’s first win in Cleveland since Oct. 27, 1985, when the Redskins defeated the Browns, 14-7.
• Shanahan is undefeated against the Browns with a 4-0 record, including a 2-0 record in games played in Cleveland.

@ Philadelphia Eagles
• The Redskins are 38-36-2 in road regular season games against the Eagles.
• The Redskins are 17-13-1 in December games against the Eagles and are 5-3 all-time in December road games in Philadelphia.

vs. Dallas Cowboys
• The Redskins will end the regular season by hosting the Dallas Cowboys, marking the first time the team has played Dallas to end the season since the 2007 season as the Redskins defeated the Cowboys, 27-6, en route to a playoff appearance.
• The game will be the ninth time the Redskins have faced the Cowboys to close the regular season and the fifth time they will do so in Washington. The Redskins are 5-3 against the Cowboys in season finales and 4-0 in home season finales against Dallas.
• The Redskins are 25-17 in regular season finales since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.
• Including postseason games, the Redskins’ all-time series record against the Cowboys in home games is tied at 27-27.
• Three of the last four games between the Redskins and Cowboys at FedExField have been decided by six points or less.

Games on Grass: 12 (vs. CIN, at TB, vs. ATL, vs. MIN, at PIT, vs. CAR, vs. PHI, vs. NYG, vs. BAL, at CLE, at PHI, vs. DAL)
Games on Turf: 4 (at NO, at STL, at NYG, at DAL)
Games Inside: 2 (at NO, at STL)
Games Outside: 14* (vs. CIN, at TB, vs. ATL, vs. MIN, at NYG, at PIT, vs. CAR, vs. PHI, at DAL, vs. NYG, vs. BAL, at CLE, at PHI, vs. DAL)
*Game at Dallas subject to change

Last edited:
I'm really liking the fact that we open up on the road for 3 of our first 4 games.

While I don't like my chances of having a rookie succeeding in the challenge of outdueling Drew Brees in his first ever NFL start, it will be a good learning experience for RG3 going on the road back to back at New Orleans and St. Louis. It gives him a chance to get his feet wet and without facing the immediate pressure of having to do too much to please the home crowd.

I know one thing is for sure - that home crowd against Cincy will be electric during the pre-game intros when hopefully RG3 comes through the tunnel.

Regardless of the opponents and the perceived level of difficulty of this year's schedule, it's paramount that this club begins establishing an identity at home. FedEx NEEDS to become that place that is difficult to play in, regardless of who the opponent is.

Kind of sucks that we get the opener on the road against the Saints - who will be more pumped to show Roger Goodell he can't hurt them than they ever would be otherwise. Feels a lot like when we got the Giants at home right after Pop Mara died. Hopefully it doesn't end the same way.

Like the Bye week coming in week 9, and obviously, you have to love the Dallas Thanksgiving Day game (although it would be even better if it were at home).

Last edited:
Kind of sucks that we get the opener on the road against the Saints - who will be more pumped to show Roger Goodell he can't hurt them than they ever would be otherwise. Feels a lot like when we got the Giants at home right after Pop Mara died. Hopefully it doesn't end the same way.

Like the Bye week coming in week 9, and obviously, you have to love the Dallas Thanksgiving Day game (although it would be even better if it were at home).

Boone, I gotta admit one thing.

Thanksgiving? At Dallas?

Taking that one would be one of the most enjoyable wins for the Redskins to get all season-from my personal perspective. :biggrin2:

Hmm, I was thinking the exact opposite. No Payton, no Vitt, and we haven't even heard how many players will be suspended yet. I think getting the Saints week 1 is a gift, honestly.

We'll see - but I think they'll play that opener like it's the Super Bowl.

Hmm, I was thinking the exact opposite. No Payton, no Vitt, and we haven't even heard how many players will be suspended yet. I think getting the Saints week 1 is a gift, honestly.

If we were playing the Saints in week three I would agree. I think week one will be very emotional for them, and it will be a very tough game for us.

I bet there will be some Baylor fans in the Superdome.

If we do actually get Griffin, that'll help.

May just have to suck it up and go to the Thanksgiving game. So expensive at Jerry's world, but might be worth it.

If we were playing the Saints in week three I would agree. I think week one will be very emotional for them, and it will be a very tough game for us.

I mean, the Saints will be tough whenever we play them. But no (interim interim) HC, new DC, any number of defensive starters will be missing due to suspension; and its not like the Saints had a good defense to begin with. Should be a shootout, and we'll get to really see what RGIII can do.

It will be interesting to see how many Baylor fans will be in Jerruh's world. Or will we not know because they will all be wearing B & G RG3 jerseys, or T-shirts from BGO? :)

Oh and I agree with Lanky, I think the Saints are gonna fall hard. Their defense was only good enough because the offense scored so many points. Without Payton calling the plays, Brees is going to have to pick up the slack and he's playing contract games for now.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we don't go 3-1 in our 1st four games.

Just how hard is the run in?

Seriously if we are still in the mix with 7 games to go you could not pick six harder games off our potential schedule.

Another 6-10 season. Friggin brutal schedule

When you suck, every schedule is brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised with 6-10. It depends on how fast Griffin develops and adapts to the pros (provided he's not a total bust.)

If he enables us to turn our offense around and actually start putting points on the board, no schedule is brutal.

I have no idea how he's going to turn out but, hypothetically, if he finds his game by the middle of the season I think 8 wins is perfectly reasonable.

This year, even moreso than most years, we just don't know.

I always speculate on the schedule in April, and I'm usually wrong in December. This year, I think I'll refrain from judging Ws & Ls until after the preseason.

Another 6-10 season. Friggin brutal schedule
Eh, i don't know.

I like to think that:
1) RG3 is going to give us some wins grossman can't. We had a lot of opportunities to hit wide open WR's in stride for big points, week in week out; grossman just couldn't get them the ball. Hopefully RG3 can, and that'll completely change the way the team plays.

2) you never know who on your schedule is going to be good/bad. Last year weren't the giants games both automatic losses given recent history? we won both. oh, and the team that was 9-7, and backed into the playoffs, won the super bowl. it's a week to week league. anyone with the bears on their schedule at the end of the year would have thought it'd be a tough game, until the game actually came and you realize they're out their QB in cutler and RB in forte and were awful.

Don't stress yet :)

When you suck, every schedule is brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised with 6-10. It depends on how fast Griffin develops and adapts to the pros (provided he's not a total bust.)

If he enables us to turn our offense around and actually start putting points on the board, no schedule is brutal.

I have no idea how he's going to turn out but, hypothetically, if he finds his game by the middle of the season I think 8 wins is perfectly reasonable.

This year, even moreso than most years, we just don't know.

henry...henry...henry...what am I to do with you?!!!!

ok...I'll step out on the ledge..there is no doubt in my retired military mind...with just a couple ramp-ups on the o-line...we are 8-8 minimum....10-6 in our wildest dreams...capable. you heard it here first - assuming, of course, Rex doesn't start any games....:thumbsup:

The Giants schedule is absolutely brutal. Especially after the bye. I can't imagine a harder schedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.