• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Need To Rethink Offensive and Defensive Systems

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
It can't happen now in mid season and it may not happen as long as Shanahan is here period, but for the Redskins to be successful consistently a complete change in approach is needed.
On offense priority number one has to be to protect the qb. That means moving away from fielding an interior line of essentially three centers and finding NFL-size performers that can hold up in pass protection and open holes in the run game.

I am sick of the OL being Trent Williams and four other guys. You can't win with the current talent.

As for the apologists that look to Morris' rushing stats, my response is don't you think Morris has the vision and power to be successful in another system where we have an OL that is built at least in part on PP skills?

Many offenses have incorporated elements of zone-blocking but we are the only team that clings to the notion you can field undersized linemen and get by with that over 16 games.

One of the reasons we didn't win yesterday is like SD we decided at the goal line to throw the ball after Helu was stopped on first down because the confidence in the OL to block Kevin Williams and Griffin inside wasn't there.

On defense, this 3-4 is a sham. Shanahan's defense has been average to poor over the last 4 years.

The 3-4 was supposed to bring flexibility in moving guys around to attack the edge or interior on the rush.

But we don't move guys around. You never see any interior pressure from this defense. Orakpo and Kerrigan stick to their sides of the D and we rarely if ever see Riley or Fletcher come upfield and rush over the center/guard gaps.

The secondary is awful and the outside linebackers are a liability in coverage.

Kerrigan would be better suited at 6'4 and 263 to being a rush end in the 4-3. He has the strength to play on the line.

Cofield is a natural 4-3 DT. Jenkins projects well I think as an interior player rather than a DE.

Baker to me is another player lost on the outside.

Finally I think there is the realization that Brian Orakpo despite his athleticism seems to have hit a plateau below that of a top rusher.

One has to question spending big dollars to bring him back to play OLB.

When you look at it, the Redskins got only one sack and precious few hurries against a Vikings OL that was without TWO starters as well as starting TE Kyle Rudolph.

Let me enjoy last week's win... stop trying to bring me down.

How about that Super Bowl in 1992. Savor that too.

puppies-n-rainbows.jpg

LOL :)

After the Coach's Show, the first caller came on with Doc and said he would rather listen to Joe Gibbs recite names from the telephone book than hear Shanahan keep talking about how he can't get into assignment breakdowns because it would give opponents a competitive edge........................

This for a team that has given up 41, 45, 24 and 34 points the past 4 weeks.

They ALL seem to know your secrets Shanny :laugh:

I'm not in the DC area so I don't get to hear alot of good stuff. But what I did hear from Shanny was he said "we had 8 penalites and you can't win with 8 penalites." That set me off. I thought, you SOB take responsibility for your lousy coaching and the incompetence of your coordinators. If the team was not prepared and disciplined for this game that's on him and his staff.

You can read my previous posts, I said fire them all 5 games ago. For you old farts, and no response necessary from the younger crowd, I believe if memory serves me, that Pat Bolen fired Shanny because of the disaster that was the Denver defense because Shanny failed to draft/acquire talent to keep up with the division. Our defense reflects the very same thing. He has become a loser like Norv, and losers talk exactly like him, never admitting culpability nor explaining why in the hell we have only won 3 games with a playoff contender. And yes I blame Shanny for no halftime adjustments nor requiring any from Haslett. No blitzes with a bad QB? are you kidding me? We made Minn punt ONE time, are you kidding me? By the way, Haz is the worst D coordinator I have witnessed on the Skins sideline since forever. What in the H is he doing in the booth? He has to be on the sideline, for substitutions, adjustments etc. there simply is no time in the booth to relay in-game situation adjustments on the field, especially in hurry up no huddle offenses. Rediculous. You know Dan is steaming and Bruce the yes man is hiding.

I want regime change, I refuse to watch Griffin and Morris and Reed's careers be wasted. We have a lifetime opportunity and they have blown it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.