• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Jack Del Rio as Defensive Coordinator

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

For Immediate Release
January 2, 2020

REDSKINS NAME JACK DEL RIO AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Jack Del Rio as Defensive Coordinator.

Del Rio brings 32 combined seasons of NFL experience to the role, including 21 as a coach and 11 as a player. Prior to being named the Redskins defensive coordinator, Del Rio held head coach and defensive coordinator roles with the Oakland Raiders (2015-17), Denver Broncos (2012-14), Jacksonville Jaguars (2003-11) and Carolina Panthers (2002). He has coached 28 players to a total of 56 Pro Bowl selections.

In 2016, Del Rio guided the Raiders to a 12-4 record, marking the franchise's first 12-win season since 2000. The Raiders earned a postseason berth for the first time since 2002 and landed an NFL-high seven players on the AFC Pro Bowl squad. Two Raiders earned spots on the Associated Press All-Pro First Team and DE Khalil Mack was named Defensive Player of the Year. Del Rio was selected as the recipient of the Maxwell Club's Greasy Neale Professional Coach of the Year Award. In addition, he was named the AFC Coach of the Year by Kansas City's Committee of 101.

During his tenure with the Denver Broncos from 2012-14, Del Rio was part of three-straight AFC West titles and helped lead Denver to an AFC Championship and appearance in Super Bowl XLVIII following the 2013 campaign. In 2012, Denver's defense finished as the NFL's second-ranked unit (290.8 yards per game), after finishing the previous season ranked 20th in the league.

Prior to joining the Broncos, Del Rio spent nine seasons at the helm in Jacksonville. During his head coaching tenure (2003 to 2011) with the Jaguars, the club ranked sixth in the NFL in yards per game allowed (317.3) and eighth in points per game allowed (20.3). Under Del Rio, the Jaguars made two playoff appearances in 2005 and 2007, highlighted by the club's first postseason win in eight seasons with a 31-29 road victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers in a 2007 AFC Wild Card Game.

During his lone season as a defensive coordinator with Carolina in 2002, he inherited the NFL's worst defense statistically (371.4 yards per game allowed) and turned it into the league's second ranked unit (290.4 yards per game allowed). As linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 1999-2001, Del Rio tutored a talented group that included Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis and Jamie Sharper. The group finished with a 35-19 record including two playoff appearances, an AFC Championship and a championship in Super Bowl XXXV.

A veteran of 11 seasons as an NFL linebacker, he was selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 1985 NFL Draft by New Orleans and went on to make the NFL's All-Rookie Team and earn the Saints' Rookie of the Year award. For his career, he played 160 games in the regular season and totaled 1,078 tackles, 12 sacks and 13 interceptions.

Del Rio was a four-year starter at the University of Southern California, where he earned consensus All-American honors as a senior and was runner-up for the Lombardi Award, given to the nation's best lineman or linebacker. A standout catcher on the USC baseball team, Del Rio was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1981. He was inducted into the USC Athletic Hall of Fame in May 2015.

Del Rio was a three-sport star in football, baseball and basketball at Hayward High School in Hayward, Calif. Born on April 4, 1963, in Castro Valley, Calif., Del Rio and his wife, Linda, have three daughters, Lauren, Hope and Aubrey, and a son, Luke.

DEL RIO FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2017-15: Head Coach, Oakland Raiders
2013 (wks. 10-13): Interim Head Coach, Denver Broncos
2012-14: Defensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos
2003-11: Head Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars
2002: Defensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
1999-01: Linebackers Coach, Baltimore Ravens
1998: Linebackers Coach, New Orleans Saints
1997: Assistant Strength Coach, New Orleans Saints
1996: Linebacker, Miami Dolphins*
1992-95: Linebacker, Minnesota Vikings
1989-91: Linebacker, Dallas Cowboys
1987-88: Linebacker, Kansas City Chiefs
1985-86: Linebacker, New Orleans Saints
1981-84 Linebacker, University of Southern California

*Denotes Practice Squad or offseason signing.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This helps the transition from hoping we do more diligence before giving the job to Rivera, to feeling more comfortable about the direction of the team. While his teams have been only competitive when head coach, his defenses have been strong.

Also, he has had his opportunities in the NFL to be HC, unless a poor relationship between he and Rivera develops, he'll be here a long time. The chances of losing him to a head coaching job is less likely.

The defensive assistants need to go.

I don't want to see us bring back 50% of the staff from 2019 in 2020.

The defensive assistants need to go.

I don't want to see us bring back 50% of the staff from 2019 in 2020.

I don't think that will be the case here. In fact, I'd be surprised if we aren't looking a completely new staff on that side of the ball with Rivera/Del Rio bringing in trusted guys they have worked with before who they know will get the best out of the players already on the roster.

I don't think that will be the case here. In fact, I'd be surprised if we aren't looking a completely new staff on that side of the ball with Rivera/Del Rio bringing in trusted guys they have worked with before who they know will get the best out of the players already on the roster.

Hopefully those trusted guys are currently available :)

I am reading that Del Rio will switch to a 4-3? What would that look like? I think Allen and Payne have played 3-4 their entire college and High school careers. Also wondering where Chase Young would fit in if they draft him...

It's easier to put Payne in a 4-3 than try to force Sweat to be a linebacker

It's easier to put Payne in a 4-3 than try to force Sweat to be a linebacker

Do you think Allen needs to drop some weight to play DE in the 4-3?

Jack is calling plays which Ron did in Carolina so that shows the level of trust he has for him. Also his base is 4-3 but he shows a lot of 3-4. The backs play a lot of Man defense. I imagine unless someone blows us away with offers for the second pick it will be Chase Young.

This helps the transition from hoping we do more diligence before giving the job to Rivera, to feeling more comfortable about the direction of the team. While his teams have been only competitive when head coach, his defenses have been strong.

Also, he has had his opportunities in the NFL to be HC, unless a poor relationship between he and Rivera develops, he'll be here a long time. The chances of losing him to a head coaching job is less likely.

He actually started interviewing him shortly after he was fired. He also interviewed Marvin Lewis. That's just who we know about maybe Urban Meyer? Then Rivera talked to Gibbs about taking the job also so I think both parties did due diligence. Wether it works is a totally different story.

Jack is calling plays which Ron did in Carolina so that shows the level of trust he has for him. Also his base is 4-3 but he shows a lot of 3-4. The backs play a lot of Man defense. I imagine unless someone blows us away with offers for the second pick it will be Chase Young.

The only scenario where we might get offered a King's Ransom for pick #2 is if the Bengals decided they can work with Ryan Finley and draft Chase Young. I think this is more possible than the vast majority of pundits believe. That could start a bidding war for Burrow or Tua (if he decides to declare).

I'm wondering about this too. That would make the front 4 Allen, Ionidis, Payne, and Sweat, but then what if they draft Chase Young. it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I'm wondering about this too. That would make the front 4 Allen, Ionidis, Payne, and Sweat, but then what if they draft Chase Young. it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

With Brantley being re-signed, Kerrigan's uncertainty, and possibly bringing in Ruben Foster our front 7 is going to have some serious shake ups.

You don't think we are more likely to see Allen as a DT along with Payne and Ioaniddis?

I assumed Allen was a lock at DT. Something like...

Young Ion Allen Sweat
Kerrigan Payne Settle Hester

Allen is quicker, the better athlete vis a vis Payne and would be a better DE candidate IMO although 4-3 ends usually go 275-280 and not 302.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.