• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Doug Williams Senior Vice President of Player Development

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

For Immediate Release
January 9, 2020

REDSKINS NAME DOUG WILLIAMS SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today Doug Williams will be named the senior vice president of player development. He will report directly to Head Coach Ron Rivera.

“Doug Williams is a legend within the Redskins franchise,” said Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder. “He is excited about this new role and in working with Coach Rivera. Doug is one of the most respected men in our building and I know that he will have an immediate impact on our players."

“I've had a chance to talk at length with Doug Williams since my arrival and he is ready to take on this new role,” said Washington Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera. “We want to create an atmosphere that is all about the players. Doug will be an invaluable asset in player development in making sure that all of our players have the guidance and resources needed to be successful on and off the field.”

“After meeting with Dan Snyder, Coach Rivera and Senior Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken, we all came to an agreement on the vision that we have for the franchise going forward,” said Doug Williams. “I am looking forward to this new opportunity to work with Malcolm and I have always respected his work during my time with the franchise. We both look forward to working with and supporting Coach Rivera in making sure that our players are prepared for life on and off the field.”

Williams is a member of the 80 Greatest Redskins and is also a Redskins Ring of Famer who played with the Redskins from 1986-89 and led Washington to a Super Bowl XXII title, a 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. Williams, the first African-American quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, completed 18-of-29 passes for 340 yards with four touchdown passes to earn Super Bowl XXII MVP honors.

-REDSKINS-

Player development on and off the field. For the 'off' part I assume that is stuff like how to handle social media, your money, stay out of trouble, etc. Would the 'on' part be here's how to train, how to study, how to be prepared?

To be fair to Rivera and to blunt some of the criticism that Doug is being marginalized, my reading of the situation is that Bruce Allen used Doug to stand up and publicly defend some shitty stuff over the past few years.

I don't believe Doug was ever included by Bruce in any concrete way in the team's decision-making.

You could tell this because of the way the team responded to Doug's invite to Adrian Peterson to work out for the team.

Instead of lauding him for finding an answer at running back after Guice got hurt there wasDoug up in front of the cameras indicating he brought Adrian in on his own and didn't inform Bruce and Mr. Snyder like he had to apologize for it!

To me his treatment was highly insulting.

I think his new role is more clearly defined and while he is not a GM candidate I DO believe Rivera would give him credit if he came up with a good personnel move the team could make.

So Doug is the new Bobby Mitchell. Too much legend to be fired, so relegate him to a ceremonial post to save face.

So now they have a senior director and a senior vp, both of player development.

Who is the president? Who holds the junior titles lol.

How come all the Redskins titles seem to make little sense?

Rivera is the boss. Hell - I'm thinking the eventual GM will report to him.

The 'coach centric' shit was for real apparently.

Correct. It all flows through the coach.

Part of the reason you see all of these new titles around the NFL is you have to offer guys a ‘promotion' to leave their current team to join a new coach.

Everyone is a VP of something 😈

If Morocco Brown comes here from Indy we are going to have to give him a nice new title to show the Colts it is a promo.

Doug Williams as far as I can see is doing the same things he has all along.

The difference now is the team is being honest about it.

Bruce Allen maintained the fiction he consulted on trades and picks with Williams when all he really did was shove him out there to take abuse from the media for the lousy personnel moves that Allen made.

Rivera is the boss. Hell - I'm thinking the eventual GM will report to him.

The 'coach centric' shit was for real apparently.

Unfortunately...you are correct. If that really is the new order of power....it will fail.

Unfortunately...you are correct. If that really is the new order of power....it will fail.

how do you know it will fail? 5 of the twelve teams in the playoffs are coach centered and the coach wields just as much power or more than the GM.

how do you know it will fail? 5 of the twelve teams in the playoffs are coach centered and the coach wields just as much power or more than the GM.

Because I know who the owner is...and common sense suggests that a HC can't possibly allocate all the time required to handle each of these functions. The inevitable result is that nothing gets done at a high level.

Because I know who the owner is...and common sense suggests that a HC can't possibly allocate all the time required to handle each of these functions. The inevitable result is that nothing gets done at a high level.

I think Bill Belichek may have something to say about this statement.

I Know Rivera is no Belichek, but you're speaking in absolutes.

And as we all know....Only a Sith speaks in absolutes. :movefast:

No...just having sum fun. Rivera will do fine. I just don't see much in the record and the people being brought in that screams championship to me. We'll be competitive.

No...just having sum fun. Rivera will do fine. I just don't see much in the record and the people being brought in that screams championship to me. We'll be competitive.

This is exactly how I feel. I think we'll be competitive within 3 seasons, but never dominant...Jack Del Rio turns this talented defense into something special, Rivera steering the ship with some discipline, and Scott Turner getting some of the much needed pieces on the offense, we will definitely compete.

It's going to take Haskins proving us wrong, or us landing an unbelievable talent at QB like the Panthers did w/ Newton...to get us to a championship.

This is exactly how I feel. I think we'll be competitive within 3 seasons, but never dominant...Jack Del Rio turns this talented defense into something special, Rivera steering the ship with some discipline, and Scott Turner getting some of the much needed pieces on the offense, we will definitely compete.

It's going to take Haskins proving us wrong, or us landing an unbelievable talent at QB like the Panthers did w/ Newton...to get us to a championship.

If this years playoffs tells us anything, it's that there are multiple ways to win.

KC is a burner of a team that can score quick
San Fran has built their D-line and works off of it running the football
Tennessee has Ryan Tannehill at QB behind Derek Henry....
Green Bay is living and dying with Rodgers. He dictates what happens with that team. If he's on they win...

I'm not saying that we are going to necessarily contend for a SB, but it should open our eyes that trends are just that... trends. Winning can happen in an infinite number of ways. The last 15 years, parody has been muted because of the Brady / Belichick connection. Defensive teams that can dictate what happens on the other side of the ball should get back into the spotlight, but it's not an absolute.

If this years playoffs tells us anything, it's that there are multiple ways to win.

KC is a burner of a team that can score quick
San Fran has built their D-line and works off of it running the football
Tennessee has Ryan Tannehill at QB behind Derek Henry....
Green Bay is living and dying with Rodgers. He dictates what happens with that team. If he's on they win...

I'm not saying that we are going to necessarily contend for a SB, but it should open our eyes that trends are just that... trends. Winning can happen in an infinite number of ways. The last 15 years, parody has been muted because of the Brady / Belichick connection. Defensive teams that can dictate what happens on the other side of the ball should get back into the spotlight, but it's not an absolute.

I don't disagree with any off that, however, Rivera's own history suggests that without an All-Pro QB, he's just competing...even with his outstanding defenses.

I am looking at our puzzle pieces for success with Riverboat Ron(his formula for success), since Rivera is the foundation in this construction. I do not think we'll win Championships with Dewayne Haskins at QB and Ron Rivera as our head coach...in fact, I'm still not sold we can win a championship with Haskins behind center, at all.

My point is that Rivera's history shows that with a dominant defense, good run game, and average QB the best he could do is be competitive. He needed an All-Pro QB added in the mix to get him to a championship...and even when he got to a championship, he was completely out coached.

I don't disagree with any off that, however, Rivera's own history suggests that without an All-Pro QB, he's just competing...even with his outstanding defenses.

I am looking at our puzzle pieces for success with Riverboat Ron(his formula for success), since Rivera is the foundation in this construction. I do not think we'll win Championships with Dewayne Haskins at QB and Ron Rivera as our head coach...in fact, I'm still not sold we can win a championship with Haskins behind center, at all.

My point is that Rivera's history shows that with a dominant defense, good run game, and average QB the best he could do is be competitive. He needed an All-Pro QB added in the mix to get him to a championship...and even when he got to a championship, he was completely out coached.

Fair point, Haskins is the key. I think the good news is that nobody is really tied to him except Snyder... and Snyder has appeared to step back (yeah i know i know). If Dan buys in to his process that he laid out there... Rivera and co can look at Haskins this year and determine if hes the guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rivera has never had an All Pro QB. He's had a QB who went to the Pro Bowl - big difference. I watch a lot of Panther's football. In 9 seasons, Cam Newton only completed 60% of his passes 3 times. He only threw for more than 3500 yds 3 times. He only threw more than 24 TDs once. In his 7 playoff appearances, he had 10 interceptions and 5 fumbles.

On the positive side, Cam generally has not turned the ball over a ton in the regular season. Of course, he was a very good rushing QB especially early on, although even there, he had 3 or 4 seasons where he scored an impressive # of TDs or eye-popping total yards rushing the ball.

He had the one really great season - not coincidentally it was the Super Bowl year. Other than that - Newton has been above average at best. I like Cam - contrary to his rep, he's a team player and he has been a great team rep in Charlotte. The fans here have always loved him. But he hasn't been the reason for Rivera's success imho. That defense Carolina has had most years has been what's made them fairly successful over the Newton years. To be fair, maybe Newton could've been a bigger force on those teams, but Rivera likes to pound the rock, and not being exceptionally accurate, I think lead to more conservative playcalling than mightve been the case if they trusted Newton more putting the ball in the air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.