• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Doug Williams Personnel Executive

So when Griffin is having problems with Gruden he can run to Williams?

Look, I am not saying this is what's going to happen, but I am kinda tired of hearing about Griffin's "concerns". He needs to go to Jay Gruden with his problems. That's what a head coach is for. He doesn't need to be going up to Doug's office, unless he's seen Gruden first and Jay directs him there. And if he does have a problem with Gruden, he sure as **** better go to Gruden first and not run to the exec in the front office.

I don't think he meant that.. what I think he meant was more along the lines of what CounterTrey was talking about. You'd like to think players can always go to the HC and talk about whatever but they are on different levels. It would be nice to have someone there who has been through it.

I don't think he meant that.. what I think he meant was more along the lines of what CounterTrey was talking about. You'd like to think players can always go to the HC and talk about whatever but they are on different levels. It would be nice to have someone there who has been through it.

I get that but it brings up the concerns I had with bringing him in...what is his role? Who does he answer to? I like Doug Williams and if he has the ability to read kids the way it has been discussed, great! But it just feels like the front office is going to have too many moving parts. I know we need to upgrade player personnel, but I think the best thing in that dept was addition by subtracting Shanahan who was a terrible evaluator, over all.

I get that but it brings up the concerns I had with bringing him in...what is his role? Who does he answer to? I like Doug Williams and if he has the ability to read kids the way it has been discussed, great! But it just feels like the front office is going to have too many moving parts. I know we need to upgrade player personnel, but I think the best thing in that dept was addition by subtracting Shanahan who was a terrible evaluator, over all.

Yeah, but why not? I understand the moving parts, but getting the opinions of 7 instead of 5 greater increases the ability to judge. Also, as much as I know it's cliche, this franchise needs to get back to its roots. The walls need to be broken down and guys like Williams a part of the heritage of the franchise.

Yeah, but why not? I understand the moving parts, but getting the opinions of 7 instead of 5 greater increases the ability to judge. Also, as much as I know it's cliche, this franchise needs to get back to its roots. The walls need to be broken down and guys like Williams a part of the heritage of the franchise.

Not worried about the "roots" of the organization. Just too many moving parts and options for a young QB to bypass the chain of command if he doesn't like the HC or his philosophy.

Not worried about the "roots" of the organization. Just too many moving parts and options for a young QB to bypass the chain of command if he doesn't like the HC or his philosophy.

If the character of the leadership is done right we don't have to worry about that. I think you are holding on to part issues . This is a different regime. Im not going to assume players are going to continue to be able to circumvent coaches... Plus who says Williams even has any 'power'

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

If the character of the leadership is done right we don't have to worry about that. I think you are holding on to part issues . This is a different regime. Im not going to assume players are going to continue to be able to circumvent coaches... Plus who says Williams even has any 'power'

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Not going to give Griffin, Gruden or anyone else on this team the benefit of the doubt anymore. The ownership hasn't changed. And the question you pose is the question I have been asking since Williams was hired. What role will he have? But, as others admitted around here lately, maybe I am picking nits. Most of me is glad to see Williams on board, but I cannot shake the feeling of skepticism that I have been conditioned to feel whenever a move is made at Redskins Park. So many have been poor over the last 10 years.

Not going to give Griffin, Gruden or anyone else on this team the benefit of the doubt anymore. The ownership hasn't changed. And the question you pose is the question I have been asking since Williams was hired. What role will he have? But, as others admitted around here lately, maybe I am picking nits. Most of me is glad to see Williams on board, but I cannot shake the feeling of skepticism that I have been conditioned to feel whenever a move is made at Redskins Park. So many have been poor over the last 10 years.

Completely understandable and I actually feel the same. This still looks like a win/win to me.

I'm on board with you on the 'Show me' aspect. But I think you're making a bigger deal out of the Williams hire than it warrants. It's not like Snyder/Allen are rushing around the country hiring anyone with a storied Redskins past or last name fans will recognize. If we'd seen them bring in Russ Grimm, Darrell Green, Chris Cooley, etc...as staff I think you'd be right to be concerned. But they clearly aren't doing that. There's only one reason they hired Doug Williams, and that's because they think he's got talent that fills a need and can help this team get better. I don't see any evidence to the contrary. They certainly didn't rush into even that move as they've been talking to him for months. I'm not sure what his exact role will be either, but I'm pretty sure he has a good idea what he was hired specifically to do.

I'm on board with you on the 'Show me' aspect. But I think you're making a bigger deal out of the Williams hire than it warrants. It's not like Snyder/Allen are rushing around the country hiring anyone with a storied Redskins past or last name fans will recognize. If we'd seen them bring in Russ Grimm, Darrell Green, Chris Cooley, etc...as staff I think you'd be right to be concerned. But they clearly aren't doing that. There's only one reason they hired Doug Williams, and that's because they think he's got talent that fills a need and can help this team get better. I don't see any evidence to the contrary. They certainly didn't rush into even that move as they've been talking to him for months. I'm not sure what his exact role will be either, but I'm pretty sure he has a good idea what he was hired specifically to do.

Exactly. It would be different if he was an inexperienced ex-player. Darrell Green's name actually floated around for a short time as a possible CB coach if I'm not mistaken.

I was thinking more about this over the last day or so... and it also dawned on me that it takes 2 to tango. Who says Williams is even going to try to change anything on behalf of Griff. Williams played in a different era. Coaches were gods and what they said.. went. Williams might actually work in the opposite direction.. being an open mind, but also helping Griff understand that he needs to trust Gruden and the staff.

I was thinking more about this over the last day or so... and it also dawned on me that it takes 2 to tango. Who says Williams is even going to try to change anything on behalf of Griff. Williams played in a different era. Coaches were gods and what they said.. went. Williams might actually work in the opposite direction.. being an open mind, but also helping Griff understand that he needs to trust Gruden and the staff.

That...my friend...would be a great thing!

Something else to take into account. Robert and Doug have been keeping in touch long before the hire. I see their relationship similar to what McNugget wanted with Robert, a mentor of sorts. Big difference is McNugget had an agenda not completely in Roberts interest, and Williams is somebody with the teams, and Roberts best interest at heart. I don't see anything wrong with Gruden as his football coach, and Williams as his life coach of sorts while he focuses on his job in the scouting dept....

You're "picking nits" :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.