• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name 3 Assistant Coaches, Confirm Haslett is DC

In general i agree its a surprise we aren't turning over nearly all the coaches...

that's the point I'm getting at.

I think, and believe, Gruden has whatever "it" happens to be - to be successful.

but keeping all these other coaches? Shanahans may have overwhelmingly been responsible for the final report card. but it takes a credulity that defies understanding to accept the argument that the Shanahan's were also responsible for the slovenly execution of fundamentals and lack of focus. that gets down to the coordinators and position coaches. it's not that these cats aren't good coaches - it's that the damn players didn't listen to them. they had little impact! management needs to figure out why. instead, what I see is an Allen TB magical mystery tour unfolding with the old boy network working over time.

it's early. nothing has happened on the field or the locker room. no one knows how this will play out. but common sense does intrude now and then. I'm keeping positive - and hoping like hell Allen isn't another screw-up stumbling through his football life. let's restock the o-line; find a cb, safety and NT.....and take it from there.

Good luck Jay!!! You mentioned in one interview I saw that you had received over 300 e-mails within a day of being hired from coaching prospects. how much time did you really spend combing this list for the best and the brightest? two things about Redskin fans: we want a winner; we detest being BS'ed and will exact a pound of flesh should we find that to be the case. make your decisions wisely......new guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of that has anything to do with the effectiveness of our RBs - and you can't deny, our RBs with THIS offensive line blocking have generally been very effective - and not just this year.

yes and no. it clearly wasn't good enough to carry the team forward in the one area that counts: scoring. it piled up some nice stats. but at the end of the day...it wasn't dominant.

I will agree that we have a nice cadre of RBs that should get even better with the addition of an offset speed back. but where it will go is an unknown since we all agree there must be radical changes on the o-line.

how much of that running game's success was traceable to the intangibles of Robert and how much to the o-line may never be known. we did get an inkling this past season when Robert was in decline (relative to the previous season).

so...I looked at what Joe Gibbs did when he arrived in 1981. On offense he brought in Buges and Henning from other teams. On defense he promoted Petitbon from the previous staff. so, there was a mix. doesn't look like any of this is happening here for the major positions. that, I think, is the problem many of us are having. it looks as though, for the major jobs, Allen had decided long before the HC hire to keep his friends in place. Gruden picked the proverbial unknown/up and comers for the positions lower on the totem pole (and, yes, I include ST coach in that group). maybe this was all coordinated (no pun intended) before the season even ended. we'll never know. in some respects, it simply doesn't pass the smell test.

it is, however, a done deal. time to press and see how this team resurrects itself from the previous mess!

I like the idea of keep SOME assistants for the sake of continuity, and providing the new coach with some "inside information" on their players, but of course, not when that particular assistant hasn't earned himself keeping of his old job.

But Chris, more than anything else...it's how our QB handled the constant pressure from his right side in particular. He was so beaten up that when he did have a pocket he made poor throws. Pass pro is not all about the sack numbers.

Yeah, I know that stats aren't an end all/be all. (I also know that that right side was pretty awful and was almost certainly targeted by opposing defenses.)

I guess my point would be that outside of Manning, an outlier of massive proportion who could probably make any five of us look competent, fans of most other teams probably think that their o-lines suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.