• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name 3 Assistant Coaches, Confirm Haslett is DC

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
January 17, 2014

REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES
Team adds Wes Phillips, retains Foerster, Haslett in previous roles

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Wes Phillips as Tight Ends Coach and will retain Chris Foerster as Offensive Line Coach and Jim Haslett as Defensive Coordinator.

Phillips is entering his eighth NFL season after spending the first seven years of his NFL career in various coaching capacities with the Dallas Cowboys. Before assuming the role of tight ends coach in 2013, Phillips assisted with the Cowboys’ offense in multiple roles across the 2007-12 seasons. During Phillips’ seven seasons with Dallas, the team’s offense finished in the Top 10 on six occasions (2007-12). In that same seven-year span, Cowboys tight end Jason Witten led all NFL tight ends in receptions (627), receiving yards (6,961) and yards after catch (2,589), while earning five Pro Bowl berths.

Phillips, 34, played quarterback at the University of Texas-El Paso from 1999-01, before playing for the San Diego Riptide in the AF2 from 2002-03. He returned to UTEP as a student assistant coach in 2003. His collegiate background also includes coaching positions at West Texas A&M (2004-05) and Baylor (2006).

Foerster, 52, is entering his fifth season in Washington after originally joining the Redskins as the team’s offensive line coach on Jan. 21, 2010. In the last two seasons, Foerster’s unit has paved the way for the Redskins to rush for 4,873 yards, the most in the NFL in that time frame. Under his tutelage, tackle Trent Williams earned Pro Bowl berths following each of the past two seasons.

Haslett, 58, will serve as defensive coordinator for his fifth season with the Redskins after originally joining the team on Jan. 15, 2010. Members of Haslett’s defenses in Washington have accounted for seven of the team’s 10 Pro Bowl selections from 2010-13.

PHILLIPS FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1997-2001: Quarterback, UTEP
2002-03: Quarterback, San Diego Riptide (AF2)
2003: Student Assistant, UTEP
2004-05 Quarterbacks Coach, West Texas A&M
2006: Quarterbacks Coach, Baylor
2007-10: Quality Control/Offensive Assistant, Dallas Cowboys
2011-12: Assistant Offensive Line Coach/Assistant Special Teams Coach, Dallas Cowboys
2013: Tight Ends Coach, Dallas Cowboys
2014: Tight Ends Coach, Washington Redskins

hey!

2010: 21st defense
2011: 21st defense
2012: 22nd defense
2013: 30th defense

we have a record of proven success here!

FO = synonym for dumb arses

the message is rather obvious here: per Snyder and Allen...it was 1000% Mike and Kyle Shanahan...and Keith Burns. Everyone else was a damn stud! Shanahan was under-cutting every coach! who knew?!!!! Shanahan was out there every day "un-teaching" how to tackle and catch passes!!!

I feel better now.

I guess the era of positivity is over :)

Does this mean we go into the 4th quarter of a game with a lead that our defense will stop doing what had worked for the previous 3 quarters?

I gotta admit, I am not pleased by this. Not so much because Haslett is a hold over from the previous regime, because he has ties to Gruden. What gets me is the over all body of work from Haslett. Even if we are to believe that the last 4 years are 100% on Shanahan who held Haslett back, but there is a plethora of info from previous experience to suggest there is better out there!

Well...guess I can go a whole season not worrying about any defensive rankings...because we won't be on that list.

Also surprising we retain the OL coach, on one of the worst OL's ever.....although one could argue he did not have much talent to work with......but wouldn't a truly good coach be able to make at least a little something out of nothing ?

Thats not entirely accurate - one of the worst PASS Protection lines in the league, maybe... We continued to have a top rushing attack even during a horrible 2013 season and in farness you have to recognize contributions from the OL in that regard imho.

In general i agree its a surprise we aren't turning over nearly all the coaches...

Thats not entirely accurate - one of the worst PASS Protection lines in the league, maybe... We continued to have a top rushing attack even during a horrible 2013 season and in farness you have to recognize contributions from the OL in that regard imho.

And in fairness, when you rank our rushing offense, you really need to subtract all of those yards from RG3's scrambles, and then see what our ranking is

WHY KEEP HASLETT?????? Seriously, do these ****ers love failure? For 20+ years, nothing but failure has followed Jim Haslett defenses. He has never been, and never will be successful, because he's a horrible ****ing coach and coordinator. Do they think he's suddenly gonna get it? After 20+ years, it's all just suddenly gonna click? Jay Gruden can kiss my ass. I was trying to give him the respect everyone says he's worth, but this decision tells me he might be dumber than people think, and that worries me. You don't put your job security partially in the hands of a proven failure, just because he's your buddy. Haslett should have been gone before Shanahan. This is pure bullshit.

And in fairness, when you rank our rushing offense, you really need to subtract all of those yards from RG3's scrambles, and then see what our ranking is

No - you'd need to subtract every other NFL team's offensive yards earned when their QBs scrambled and then rank our rushing offense. 8 other QBs had 300 or more yards rushing this year. Besides - you have eyes - did it look to you like we've had pretty good success opening up holes on the ground and getting our RB a 1000+ yard season two years running? It doesn't happen without good blocking. We need studs on the offensive line and big uglies who can pass protect, but they aren't the worst offensive line in history.

Last edited:
No - you'd need to subtract every other NFL team's offensive yards earned when their QBs scrambled and then rank our rushing offense. 8 other QBs had 300 or more yards rushing this year.

Though I'd be willing to bet a much larger percentage of our QB scrambles were the result of the pocket collapsing from poor pass protection, than the other teams' yards, compared to runs as a result of receivers covered, intentional scrambling, read-option runs, or called QB runs.

Fear, I kinda agree with you but if you're discussing variables...like the pocket collapsing, and we know it did too often...then you have to discuss Robert leaving the pocket early before plays had time to develop because he had happy feet when there actually was a pocket.

None of that has anything to do with the effectiveness of our RBs - and you can't deny, our RBs with THIS offensive line blocking have generally been very effective - and not just this year.

I'm not denying, and I never did deny, that we had a good rushing attack, or good run-blocking.
Just saying, that for the reasons I stated earlier, that the actual total rush stats are at least a little bit skewed or inflated or misleading, when it comes to reflecting how good our run-blocking actually was.

Last edited:
Also surprising we retain the OL coach, on one of the worst OL's ever.....although one could argue he did not have much talent to work with......but wouldn't a truly good coach be able to make at least a little something out of nothing ?

Not trying to make a federal case out of it, but this quote is what I've been responding to.

Federal case or not, we do need many new bods on the OL and much bigger ones. Alfred would be incredible in a power running scheme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.