• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Make Roster Moves

Keim is rarely wrong. I'm betting the Skins are moving on. We are overly sentimental about our players. Even when Chris Cooley clearly couldn't play anymore, many wanted him on the team. Sometimes you just have to move on if you want to win.

If he's not healthy, he's not healthy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

From what I've read, he's nowhere near 100% yet but hopes to be at some point around training camp/pre-season. My guess is that the Redskins said that they're not currently planning to sign him back. Months from now, if he does continue to improve and nears 100%, they'll bring him back.

He's had almost two full years to heal... If he's still not 100%, I don't think he's coming back.

Ok, so by my rudimentary math Carriker's release costs us about $3.5 million in dead cap space?

I seriously doubt we're resigning him then. We paid quite a bit to let him go.

Keim is rarely wrong. I'm betting the Skins are moving on. We are overly sentimental about our players. Even when Chris Cooley clearly couldn't play anymore, many wanted him on the team. Sometimes you just have to move on if you want to win.

Add to that Chris Russell is often wrong :)

Hey BB, what's the dead cap space for those guys? And whatever it is, it's only for one year, right? And then next year, won't that be additional space on the cap?

Hey BB, what's the dead cap space for those guys? And whatever it is, it's only for one year, right? And then next year, won't that be additional space on the cap?

Dead cap from Carriker will be on the books next year, I believe. We cut him to make space this year, and carry the hit next year when the cap goes up.

You may be right. But I think we take the hit this year. Otherwise, wouldn't we get the whole the whole contract price off this year?

BBeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I think the dead cap space hits immediately unless you make the cut after June 1.

EDIT: Otherwise, cutting Carriker would free up $6.6 million (or whatever his total hit was) this year ...

I think the dead cap space hits immediately unless you make the cut after June 1.

EDIT: Otherwise, cutting Carriker would free up $6.6 million (or whatever his total hit was) this year ...

Ah, yes. Forgot about June 1st cuts.

Redskins add $3.2 million in cap space with Tuesday?s moves | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Rich Tandler

The Redskins released five players today and as a result they have about $3.3 million more in salary cap space than they did to start the day.

There are cap savings totaling almost $4.8 million with the releases of Carriker (savings of $2.99 million), Rocca ($1.2 million) and Quinn ($570,000). The cap savings consist of the player’s cap charge minus any dead cap from unallocated bonuses paid in the past. Carriker’s release added $3.5 million in dead cap while Rocca’s added $162,500. There is no dead money for Quinn’s contract.

But the Redskins do not have an additional $4.8 million to spend. That is because of the Rule of 51. During the offseason, only the team’s top 51 cap numbers count towards the team’s salary cap number. When a player is removed, whoever is 52nd-highest moves into the calculation. So when the three veterans were removed from the roster, they were replaced by three players who are making $495,000 each. Add that nearly $1.5 million back into the cap number and the Redskins end up with a net of $3.3 million more to spend.

Running backs Jawan Jamison and Davin Meggett were also released but neither was in the top 51 is salary so they were not involved in the calculations.

This article says they've only got $21.9M in space left... Can this be accurate??? Doesn't seem to account for the $12.6M from Fletcher, Meriweather and Morgan... Maybe those officially come off the books in the new league year?

Yes, those contracts will be figured into the new year. Also, there will be some carry over from extra cap space in 2013 along with any expiring likely to be earned incentives for various players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.