• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Redskins need to take more risks on offense

BGO

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS | I’ve spent the last several days poring over the data and doing lots of advanced math, and I think I’ve figured it out. The Redskins’ problem is that they’re not very good on offense.

Kidding aside, it’s not really about systems or play-calling or even injuries. Those things do matter, but the heart of any sport is about having better players than the other team. Rebuilding a team takes time and requires patience.

Read full article >>

pixel
evnt

More...

I know some of you hate statistics and, as a rule, I to consider them a higher from of lying but this was an interesting read.

At the moment, there’s not much the Redskins can do with their current offensive roster. There are some solid players, just not enough of them.

this is all he needed to write, the rest of it is just opinion.

I don't want us to take risks and win games that we shouldnt. even though there is no guarantee that we will get a better player, there is a chance, and im tired of being "just about decent. take our lumps,.

I don't see the negative in taking additional risks. What's the worst that could happen...the Redskins lose? They're doing that anyway. At worst it would mean a blowout loss instead of a close loss.

Throwing the deep ball more often isn't a bad idea. What are the possibilities? A completion, a defensive PI call, an incompletion or an interception. Sounds like a 50/50 shot to me. When you're only completing 34% of 3rd downs, 50% is an improvement.

I know some of you hate statistics and, as a rule, I to consider them a higher from of lying but this was an interesting read.

Neo, remember the bumper sticker "Guns don't kill people People kill people?"-same thing with statistics and lying. Numbers don't have agendas.

I don't see the negative in taking additional risks. What's the worst that could happen...the Redskins lose? They're doing that anyway. At worst it would mean a blowout loss instead of a close loss.

Throwing the deep ball more often isn't a bad idea. What are the possibilities? A completion, a defensive PI call, an incompletion or an interception. Sounds like a 50/50 shot to me. When you're only completing 34% of 3rd downs, 50% is an improvement.

ITS NOT A 50 50 SHOT, an old coaching axiom was " 3 things happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad."

That was before the PI call, Ryman. :)

I thought we did every time Grossman and Beck step up under center!!!

Neo, remember the bumper sticker "Guns don't kill people People kill people?"-same thing with statistics and lying. Numbers don't have agendas.

but I'll repeat one of my favorite jokes just the same (learned during the mercifully short period in my dark collegiate youth I had to apply econometrics):

How is a statistician like a drunk leaning against a lamp post?

The post is used for support rather than illumination!!!

I like my father's old saying serv..."there are lies, damn lies and statistics." ;)

when I first made the move from quarterback in grade 10 and started playing Linebacker and DE, our DC took it upon himself to teach me the ins and outs of defence (my constant asking "why do we do it that way" probably wore him down quick! lol)

anyway I asked him one time why our defence Held teams to lower scores when I was playing DE but I had statistically better games personally when I played LB, he explained it like this " Stats don't mean ****, there is only one stat Win or lose, the rest is details. even film lies, the only thing that don't lie is results."

but I'll repeat one of my favorite jokes just the same (learned during the mercifully short period in my dark collegiate youth I had to apply econometrics):

How is a statistician like a drunk leaning against a lamp post?

The post is used for support rather than illumination!!!

Fansince, that quote, from what I've been abe to find out, originated from a quote by Scottish man of letters Andrew Lang in the nineteenth centory as follows.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts — for support rather than illumination."

I like my father's old saying serv..."there are lies, damn lies and statistics." ;)

Neo, that quote comes from one of my favorite writers and social commentators-Mark Twain.

That makes sense but as with most things in life one needs but a modicum of understanding of stats to be able to ferret out most of those trying to use them to lie. That, even though admittedly I'm working with about as little understanding of stats as humanly possible. ;)

What I can say about this article is that I think the author is probably correct in his analysis...as long as one is only concerned about being at the upper end of mediocre. However from the standpoint of doing what most fans care about, i.e. being a winning franchise, this strategy is a loser. Sure we might win an extra game or two in exchange for accepting big blowouts every week but all that would get us is a fired coach and a lower draft position. The goal of every team should be to become the team that doesn't need to manipulate statistical variances in an effort to win an extra game or two.

Take risks?

Everything this team does on offense is risky right now because the players can't throw, block, run or catch.

This is one of the least talented offenses in the NFL.

What exactly could they do to score more points other than acquiring and developing more talent.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

when I first made the move from quarterback in grade 10 and started playing Linebacker and DE, our DC took it upon himself to teach me the ins and outs of defence (my constant asking "why do we do it that way" probably wore him down quick! lol)

anyway I asked him one time why our defence Held teams to lower scores when I was playing DE but I had statistically better games personally when I played LB, he explained it like this " Stats don't mean ****, there is only one stat Win or lose, the rest is details. even film lies, the only thing that don't lie is results."
The "stats" you see on NFL.com are more correctly called data. Descriptive statistics involves things such as mean(average), variance, kurtosis, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.