• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Redskins looking at receiver help

BGO

On Tuesday, Washington coaches ran at least two free agent receivers through workouts at Redskins Park. You don't have to strain your eyes too hard to read between the lines here: There's room for an upgrade among the current group of receivers on the 53-man roster. According to reports, the Redskins held tryouts for Keenan Burton, a University of Kentucky product who most recently played for St. Louis in 2009, and former Baltimore receiver Demetrius Williams, who was released at the end of the preseason.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

img.phdo
Washington Redskins - Demetrius Williams - University of Kentucky - Baltimore - Keenan Burton

More...

Dude, before EVERYONE tweaks their nipples let's just take a step back here. EVERY team in the NFL has tryouts all the time for random players. Just because we are awful in the WR category everyone is going to jump to conclusions that the organization values talent outside the organization over the talent currently on the roster.

If that was true, these guys coming in for tryouts would already made a team somewhere... These dudes aren't any better than what we have currently on the roster..

So just relax, there is nothing to see here.. carry on....

I just don't understand why they are trying out WRs when they have Devin Thomas on the roster. Is he THAT BAD that they feel the need to bring in a retread and a couple never-wases? I mean, REALLY?

Lanky, I can't help but wonder if the team is starting to wonder if he will ever get it mentally. I have the impression that much of the Shanahan offense requires precise route running and if he is consistently off his mark in practice, the team might be interested in somebody that perhaps doesn't have Devin's physical tools but has more on the ball mentally.

Let's face it, Ed McCaffery wasn't a world beater physically but he hustled, knew where he was supposed to be and was there when he was supposed to be there. And he was real successful for Shanahan for years in Denver.

See, I remember reading the exact opposite - that the *Kyle* version of the Shanahan offense did not require precise route running. I will try to find the article and quote I am thinking of.

See, I remember reading the exact opposite - that the *Kyle* version of the Shanahan offense did not require precise route running. I will try to find the article and quote I am thinking of.

I hope ya find it, I'd like to see that article. I've never seen a system where you didn't have to run precise routs.

Did Zorn run routes at all? Huh, I don't remember that... Outside of the routes that were run four yards short of the first down marker.

This is a huge blow to Thomas. Not sure why we didn't just cut him he can't have regressed that much between training camp and now, can he? Does not look good for him getting on the field very much. There is all but no presence at the WR position outside of Santana this year. If Thomas can't get on the field in that kind of situation, will he ever?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I just don't understand why they are trying out WRs when they have Devin Thomas on the roster. Is he THAT BAD that they feel the need to bring in a retread and a couple never-wases? I mean, REALLY?

bingo! it's almost an admission that they can't develop the talent on hand.

Jackson is still out there

Word on the street was we made a play for him a week or so back and the Chargers just wanted too much for him. Add that to the fact that he's established himself as a bit of a rock-head, a rock-head who was looking for a big contract and I'm kinda glad we passed on that.

I can't say he didn't cross my mind though.

Yeah...I heard the Chargers are not budging on their price of a 2nd and 3rd-round pick in the 2011 draft. That is way steep, IMO...the Skins were probably offering a 3rd, or maybe a 3rd in '11 and a 2nd in '12. We will probably never know.

Part of me thinks the Chargers are just being spiteful to Jackson, to "get back at him" for holding out in the first place. Probably unlikely, but it seems like the "Lord of No Rings" AJ Smith is that type of guy.

I believe if Thomas can't beat out Galloway, it's time to cut bait and move on. Heck at this point why don't they look at Marvin Harrison or hey Jerry Rice even...insert sarcasm.
Why sign someone off the street? The best looking wrs in preseason were Armstrong and name escapes me the guy from UClA Austin I believe. Isn't he on the practice squad?
Whats the point of drafting young talent and playing aging veterans past thier prime? Ecspecially at wr?

If Thomas can't get on the field in that kind of situation, will he ever?

It's a very odd situation. Shanny won't compromise his standards to get playing time, but must see something in Thomas that's enough to make him spend time trying to develop him. Most coaches are fair when it comes to cutting people as soon as possible, and Shanny is no different.

I'd t least give him a game as the # 2 receiver, no matter how he looks in practice. There's absolutely nothing to lose. This year was all about evaluation. We're rotating people in and out like crap through a goose to see how they do, so I don't see the logic in keeping him off the field.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall this one time.

It's a very odd situation. Shanny won't compromise his standards to get playing time, but must see something in Thomas that's enough to make him spend time trying to develop him. Most coaches are fair when it comes to cutting people as soon as possible, and Shanny is no different.

I'd t least give him a game as the # 2 receiver, no matter how he looks in practice. There's absolutely nothing to lose. This year was all about evaluation. We're rotating people in and out like crap through a goose to see how they do, so I don't see the logic in keeping him off the field.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall this one time.

Exactly. We are pretty clearly throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks, so why not Devin? He's looked OK on kickoffs, are his routes that bad? Not sure why Shanny won't throw him in there for a couple of plays here and there. It really has surprised me that Armstrong, who i like a lot, is clearly way ahead of Thomas.

Exactly. We are pretty clearly throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks, so why not Devin?

At his height and weight, I'm guessing you'd have to moisten him a bit to get him to stick to the wall.

I can easily understand Armstrong being ahead of him. I think it comes down to Armstrong being hungrier, and having a much tougher road to get where he is today. What has Thomas had to earn in comparison to this point ?

What gets me is he can't even beat out Galloway ? I also like Armstrong, and look forward to him getting on the field this week.

Good point. Considering he can't beat out (not off, mind you) Armstrong ot Galloway, hell, I've seen Roydell Williams on the field more, what exactly is he doing in practice that has him relegated to special teams? I guess his salary isn't too high, so it doesn't cost us much to keep him. This weekend may not be the time to throw him out there either. I have a feeling we may not see much of Thomas for a while.

I keep wanting to say, "nice job, Vinny.". But i don't think that is fair, actually. I remember seeing Thomas going in the top 15 in that draft, a lot of people had him very highly rated. Trading down out of the first and still getting our target should have been a great move. I guess maybe you put that one on our scouting dept?

Ah screw it,

Nice job, Vinny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.