• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Colt Brennan, fan favorite, is cut

BGO

Backup quarterback Colt Brennan, among the Redskin players most popular with fans, was released Monday shortly after the team traded for another quarterback. Brennan, who struggled in the early stages of training camp, impressed at times during the preseason as a rookie in 2008. But the former University of Hawaii star struggled during the 2009 preseason and was in jeopardy of being cut until he suffered a hip injury in the final preseason game. Brennan underwent hip surgery, his second such procedure in 18 months, and was placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list before the season began. He appeared to have lost arm strength after the surgery, and was mostly ineffective to this point in camp. The Redskins on Monday acquired fourth-year quarterback John Beck from the Baltimore Ravens for cornerback Doug Dutch. At quarterback, Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman are entrenched as Washington's starter and top backup, respectively. Beck

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

img.phdo
Baltimore Ravens - Donovan McNabb - Colt Brennan - John Beck - Rex Grossman

More...

This the thud from the "other shoe", so to speak.

At 4-12, no one should feel safe, least of all a backup, backup QB

Brennan was always a project for Zorn. A new coaching staff means new projects, therefore Brennan was always on very shaky ground. Looks like Shanahan's project will be John Beck, who I think is a pretty good fit for the Kyle Shanahan offense; good anticipation skills, and makes quick decisions.

I know it was only one 3 hour practice, but Colt did not look good at the practice I attended. And Lanky, I am not sold on Beck being their guy. I am sure he was brought in to compete, but Bartel looked decisive, accurate and extremely comfortable in the pocket last week. Even if it was just practice, he sat back there, scanned the field and made good throws. This will be an interesting side note to training camp for the rest of the month.

Can't say I'm suprised. I'd love to have seen Brennan get 5 or 6 NFL starts though, only because he's always struck me as a 'gamer', a kid who can improvise and surprise during game action in ways you just don't see on a practice field.

Not arguing he is or ever will be an NFL QB, still, I wish we'd had the chance to see him in real action once or twice.

Can't say I'm suprised. I'd love to have seen Brennan get 5 or 6 NFL starts though, only because he's always struck me as a 'gamer', a kid who can improvise and surprise during game action in ways you just don't see on a practice field.

Not arguing he is or ever will be an NFL QB, still, I wish we'd had the chance to see him in real action once or twice.

I kinda feel the same way Boone. Would loved to have at least seen him play a quarter of a preseason game in Shanahan's offense but I think Mike runs his practices with enough game-type situations so he has a better feel for how a guy will do in a game than Zorn did.

LOL at the Raiders. As bad as the Redskins ever got these past few years, the Raiders were always worse. Thank you so much for that, Al Davis.

Damn, Jason Campbell, Colt Brennan, and Rock Cartwright reunited-with the Raiders!

Whoda thunk it.

Wow.

Damn, Jason Campbell, Colt Brennan, and Rock Cartwright reunited-with the Raiders!

Whoda thunk it.

Wow.

Talk about trying to change a team's image. Three "good guys". Not sure they fit in with Greasy Al around but maybe he's senile enough that he won't notice. :bucktooth:

Campbell better hope Colt doesn't get significant pre-season snaps. He might find himself challenged :)

With Colt gone, an Rex as the only option other than McNab we as Skins fans might face the first season ever without a qb controversy. This could be a good season.

With Colt gone, an Rex as the only option other than McNab we as Skins fans might face the first season ever without a qb controversy. This could be a good season.

Have you met Redskins fans? The first pick McNabb throws, people will be calling for his and Shanahan's heads, and for Grossman to start. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.