• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Pete Prisco: Redskins FA Haul Receives "A" Grade

I think you're talking about Gruden...I was talking about Allen. Gruden gets a pass from me until his first year is over. As for Allen, his first day on the job was about 4 years ago.

All I know is that if we don't draft a RT and a dozen or so dbs in April, we're pretty much screwed because anyone who follows the Skins knows those are obvious needs. So far, those obvious needs haven't been addressed in free agency.

If we draft a running back with our first pick, I may shoot myself.

funny! I get your mindset.

so....I think you're right but adopt a different point-of-view.

- from a distance, I don't think they accomplished their original objectives in FA. the market partly drove that.

- haven't seen the team in action so no one knows...but there are some positives: Hatcher as a regular starter on the d-line, Porter as a slot db, Roberts as a more viable option at the number 2 or 3 receiver (kinda like the Morgan signing IMO in the sense of ballpark money (i.e., second tier receiver) and expectations; obviously considered a better option since Morgan has been released) and ST depth.

- I have no idea how these players will add up relative to talent on other teams - e.g., will the new slot db be a good cover guy against the welkers of the world or TEs going across the middle?

- lot of uncertainties remain vis the o-line. I think it's wishful thinking at this point to believe that one signing from the Cleveland Browns and a shuffling of the peas has upgraded things substantially. I don't think the team believes so either given who they have talked to.

- you are correct that some immediate need areas are now being driven to the draft. we can infer from recent releases that the team still believes it has weaknesses at receiver, safety, db and OT. probably ILB also but some moves have been made to shore that area up.

per Serv's post, Allen's decision process seems to weight financial impacts more heavily. ok. it would be interesting to know how his team does the marginal analysis - cost savings versus expected impacts....we won't pay too much. how do they measure "too much"? we'll find out on the field next season whether their strategy and eye for talent was good. I'm hoping like *ell that the scouting/personnel guys nail it in the draft - so we can return to cap problems in 3-4 years! :)

but with another Lombardi in the glass case.

Last edited by a moderator:
per Serv's post, Allen's decision process seems to weight financial impacts more heavily. ok. it would be interesting to know how his team does the marginal analysis - cost savings versus expected impacts....we won't pay too much. how do they measure "too much"? we'll find out on the field next season whether their strategy and eye for talent was good. I'm hoping like *ell that the scouting/personnel guys nail it in the draft - so we can return to cap problems in 3-4 years! :)

but with another Lombardi in the glass case.

I've mentioned it before, numerous times in person to friends, and in posts... Bill Barnwell nicely termed it a "Loser's Tax" - and I'd like to say I did that before too, but can't remember... so I have to credit Barnwell now, it's too perfect. I did call it a "stench" in the past I think.

We're paying the Loser's Tax. And it's a hefty tax with our track record. It's a hefty tax with our PR / perception out there (by this I mean a variety of things: the media reporting at times, Snyder perception AND honestly reality, franchise stability...). Either they are coming here for way above market value, or they are not even visiting. So what happens? Teams with a high loser's tax only have a few choices:

1) Overpay. Mortgage the future. Most likely, you will end up doubling down on your loser's tax this way. Source: Redskins 2000s era.
2) Pay only who will play for a "reasonable" wage. This pretty much means you are playing complete garbage, because the loser's tax makes it so. A high enough tax (stench?) and you are heading for last year's IR lists for most of your players. You are heading to the 30+ club for guys who want to prove that they can still play. You are looking at UDFAs, practice squad players... and that is pretty much all you are looking at.
3) Middle. You will end up overpaying for sub-par talent here, but you won't get complete garbage. The contracts won't look reasonable at all times. They will appear slightly bloated. This carries some risks: you may waste money, and with the wrong locker room, it could cause problems as well. It may hurt you in the future for the same reasons as #1, but that part is mitigated by the overpayments being substantially lower.

So, it's hopeless? Losers stay losers forever? This is the story of free agency for losers. FREE AGENCY. If you feel you must fix your team in free agency, I will see you in a few years, and I'd like to look at your tax bill. You are probably living in imagination land. The draft is the only viable solution. I always refused to say the Redskins made a good move drafting RG3 at the price they paid. It's water under the bridge now, and I do like RG3, and I think if he gets his head on straight he can be special, and ALL that... but my belief is that it's hard to value draft picks, and if you give up 2 picks for a player (because I'm considering that year's pick a direct swap)... it's a tough pill to swallow for a true believer that the only way out of loserville (esp. with the high tax the Skins have) is to go through the draft, BIG TIME, ALL-IN style.

So, here we are, 2014, and our free agency has been simple. Some are complaining that this strategy doesn't seem like a winner. Some are saying "wait for the draft" with some hope. Yes, I hope that in the draft they will plug up some remaining holes. I am not sure they have enough this year to fix everything they need to fix PROPERLY. So, the free agency plugs are in place, we get some long-term (this is where draft talent evaluation and strategy literally makes or breaks us) solutions in the draft... and then the free agency plugs are shuffling in and out next year as we collect more real solutions in the draft.

It's the only way out of the loser's tax. And if you don't have enough pieces to get solved in one draft... you are basically waiting for two drafts. Without mortgaging your future.

We actually do have a lot of pieces, as you can see from two years ago and that performance. So, even though I don't think we field a dominant team, I do think that if RG3 and Gruden get their heads together and play to RG3's strengths, and his mobility is back, and he has a solid offseason... well he is a very special player. I feel like two years ago we had a (personnel-wise) very bad defense, but they were able to do enough to win. Part of that was the pressure on the other team's offense due to our offensive success. So, that same kind of formula could play out. In my opinion, that is NOT a postseason winning strategy. So, we definitely have to fix our defense and get legit on that side of the ball... and I'm not sure we'll be there in one offseason.

Some people can be so neurotic.

Are we really down to obsessing over whether an 11 sack defensive lineman is going to be a bust and released by 2015? :)

I think we are OK so far.

To me adding size on the OL by nailing down 1 or 2 if these free agents that have visited is the next crucial step.

Neither De la Puente or McGlynn are going to command the contract that Penn got to play LT.

These guys should be affordable to the Redskins.

SkinsNumberOne: sweet post. Agree on RGIII. The ideas in your post are pretty solid. naturally :) there are exceptions. I don't think we overpaid for Garcon. but we did go after one of the better players available after a weak previous season and inked a deal that made him happy.

"Loser's Tax"! Too funny. More like a "Loser's Premium"! Sort of a penalty fee for being bad. IMO, that's part of it. But for DC...it's also about the franchise and how it's been managed. given the new changes...especially the hire of a young, bright coach, I was thinking that premium would be reduced.

Nice thought piece and reasonable conclusions!

Some people can be so neurotic.

Are we really down to obsessing over whether an 11 sack defensive lineman is going to be a bust and released by 2015? :)

Er ... no. Some of us were noting that that was the worst-case scenario, which was evidence that the signing was an overall smart one.

far as I can tell:

- if they're over 30 and sign with another team "Idiots"!

- if they're over 30 and sign with us "Smart Move"!

which brings us to the obvious: cost, benefit, context, availability. the thought here is that hatcher will relocate from a different team with different talent and reproduce an 11 sack season he has not had previously. heck if I know if this will happen. everything I have heard/read so far suggests "Smart Move". the Skins players seem to think he was hard to handle and he did well in the division. all these rules of thumb can get in the way at times of a good opportunity.

I agree with this.

I've watched Hatcher most of his career and wasn't impressed.

TR1...seen you post alot over the years about football and never once have I ever saw you give a nod to a Cowboys player so it's not surprising to see that you're not impressed with Hatcher.

Kinda makes your analysis tainted.

Just sayin'.............

Hatcher is 31 but he has been healthy.

There are guys out there in FA that are 26 or 27 but they are coming off micro-fracture surgery or a torn ACL and their careers, like Adam Carriker's, is in question.

I don't see that with any of the players we have brought in so far. Guys get injured, but the question is, does the injury potentially impact the player's ability to be close to 100%.

I think you're talking about Gruden...I was talking about Allen. Gruden gets a pass from me until his first year is over. As for Allen, his first day on the job was about 4 years ago.

All I know is that if we don't draft a RT and a dozen or so dbs in April, we're pretty much screwed because anyone who follows the Skins knows those are obvious needs. So far, those obvious needs haven't been addressed in free agency.

If we draft a running back with our first pick, I may shoot myself.

And we had those exact same needs less than 2 years ago when we won the NFC East and were a playoff team.

And we had those exact same needs less than 2 years ago when we won the NFC East and were a playoff team.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I'm just glad we're not trading picks for washed up guys like MsNabb or TJ Duckett.

..and we sucked last year because those needs went wanting again with a much less mobile qb and a lesser defensive pass rush.

No need to ignore those needs again this year is there? The trend looks foreboding.

you sure that's why we sucked last year?

I could have gone on about special teams, office politics, additional injuries, etc., but I've already been categorized as a negative nancy. I focused on RT and safety because even the broadcasters of our games couldn't help criticize those players by name in some of those horrendous games.

On the plus side, it looks like ST's was addressed through free agency and a new coaching hire...which was good

Look, I'm expecting, as most of us are expecting, that safety and RT will be addressed in the draft. Do you think otherwise?

Well, to address your question first:
I've realized I don't have a clue when it comes to the draft and free agency. So I don't know, there's a handful of guys here that would be much better at answering those questions.

I think we'll use the draft to bring in a wide array of guys to try to compete for spots. Lame answer, but I just can't keep up with the draft prospects to know any better.

As for being called a negative nancy - screw that. Being able to be critical is important :)

I just think there was a lot of unique and special circumstances that went into last year's 3-13 result... i think implying we'll be lucky to win 8 games this year because we only won 3 games last year is quite a simplistic way of analyzing last season... and i see it done so often. it's even used by the shannahan haters to try to convince us that we're somehow close to (or worse off!) where we were in 2009. It's just not true. At all. In any fashion.

The raiders are a franchise in desperate need of a direction and leadership.

We have direction and leadership. Us fans may not know what it is and who all the key pieces are, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We'll see if they are good leaders or great leaders, and whether they can follow their plan and get to the goal or not. But comparing us to rudderless franchises with no hope in the near future is a bit over dramatic and/or shallow analysis to me.

edit: but maybe i'm just a homer blind to reality... i think i'm a little better than that, but at this point in time i concede it's hard to prove concretely one way or the other. we'll know in 3-5 years :)

SkinsNumberOne: sweet post. Agree on RGIII. The ideas in your post are pretty solid. naturally :) there are exceptions. I don't think we overpaid for Garcon. but we did go after one of the better players available after a weak previous season and inked a deal that made him happy.

"Loser's Tax"! Too funny. More like a "Loser's Premium"! Sort of a penalty fee for being bad. IMO, that's part of it. But for DC...it's also about the franchise and how it's been managed. given the new changes...especially the hire of a young, bright coach, I was thinking that premium would be reduced.

Nice thought piece and reasonable conclusions!

Thanks. I think we may have paid more than the market price for Garcon. Overpaying is relative to the team's situation. As the Redskins, it can be said we didn't overpay for Garcon (although Josh Morgan -- ?).

It should also be mentioned that the team has to also consider long-term planning for RG3's contract (if he is considered a must-keep) and any others who they are fairly convinced they will keep. I'm not saying that has to have major impacts on their decisions (because he still has 2 years), but they need to structure things with it in mind at least. Just as the Seahawks apparently are doing... this line keeps showing up in articles:
They have $15.2 million in salary-cap space but have been conservative in free agency because they will be pursuing long-term deals with quarterback Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman within the next 12 months.
most recently from Jared Allen weighing offer from Seattle Seahawks, other teams, agent says - ESPN

This is why we may see contracts that have a special eye on our option to release after 2 years. If they turn out to play amazing, maybe we'll scrape and scrounge, but otherwise... if we have some other pricey must-keepers... I guess, adios...

Last edited:
I NEVER ever ever liked Prickso. With that said, it is nice to have such a tool change his tune a little especially because its out of the blue. But like everyone else he'll flip if they flop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.