• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Beathard Would Have Drafted Marino In 1983

BGO

The history books would be different had the Dolphins not taken talented college QB Dan Marino with the 27th pick of the 1983 NFL Draft, as the Redskins sat there interested at No. 28.

More...

Wow...just wow...

Kind of goes against the whole fairy-tale story that they told Green - if you're there in the 1st round, we're taking you. I guess they never imagined Marino would fall to them, so it makes sense.

I often wonder how many Superbowls Joe Gibbs would have won with a QB like Marino behind center - I'm not sure he would have ever lost a game. :)

I honestly don't know what to think about that... Marino was a great QB, but Green made a career that is part of Redskins Lore now...

And it's not like we didn't win super bowls without Marino...

With all due love to Darrell Green ... had Joe Gibbs had the service of Daniel Marino for his entire career, they would be renaming the Lombardi Trophy.

I think I just had a great idea for a movie. Genius scientist who also happens to be a rabid Redskins fan invents time travel machine. Goes back in time and convinces Jack Kent Cooke to make him head scout. Redskins go on 20 year winning streak.

The greatest difference between Washington and SF was Montana. If the Redskins had a young passer of Marino's caliber with the line and running game here the Redskins would have won IMO two more Super Bowls.

Kind of goes against the whole fairy-tale story that they told Green - if you're there in the 1st round, we're taking you. I guess they never imagined Marino would fall to them, so it makes sense.

I often wonder how many Superbowls Joe Gibbs would have won with a QB like Marino behind center - I'm not sure he would have ever lost a game. :)

but would they have won the Chicago or Minnesota playoff games? :)

I respect your opinion Mike and others but I think if you had the chance to go back and get Marino, instead of Green it's a no-brainer, if for no other reason than that the impact a great QB can have far exceeds anything a CB could contribute, hall of famer or not.

There was no salary cap during that era, so yes, we could have had the same players. JKC was not afraid to spend.

I'm with Boone & Om - trading #28 for #13 is a no-brainer, with all due respect to Darrell. Marino never had any consistent run game to work with - imagine if he had the likes of Riggins, Byner, et. al pounding the rock? With his quick-release, the play-action would have been deadly. Art Monk would have been a first-ballot hall-of-famer, same for Clark.

The fact that we won 3 superbowls with 3 different QBs is more of an argument FOR Marino than against him - Gibbs was able to do that with those guys, if he'd had real talent at the position, the Skins would have been unstoppable. Like Om said, they'd be renaming the Lombari trophy.

I think one of the biggest things being over looked about Marino if he'd come here is that Gibbs was an Air Coryell disciple who adapted to the team he had when he arrived, a run team. Had he been given a Dan Marino to institute his offense with a consistent signal caller who could air it out...who would have been throwing to Sanders, Clark and Monk with TE's like Didier and Warren? That receiving corps would have made Clayton and the crew in Miami look weak in comparison. I mean our trio of receivers were the first to each catch more than 80 passes in a season with Mark Rypien throwing to them.

But, we could also have seen the same ego get in the way like it did for Hall of Fame coach Don Shula...

Who knows? Fun to speculate though...

I'm fairly confident Gibbs would have maximized Marino's talents, just like he did with Thiesmann, Williams, & Rypien. That's what makes this different that the Favre or Johnson arguments IMO - that we had Gibbs here, in his coaching prime. The argument is not that we needed Marino to win those 3 superbowls, the argument is we could have won several more superbowls in addition to those three with Gibbs coaching him up.

And as far as Marino not being a winner, maybe he wouldn't need to be a winner in DC with our defense and running game. Riggins was highly capable of taking a game over, like the Minnesota game in 82. Maybe he never won it all in Miami because it was all on him...just a thought.

It is what it is, and we have some fantastic memories and highlights from Green's time on the Skins. Fortunately we never have to find out what it would be like without #28 in the Redskins history books.

I think one of the biggest things being over looked about Marino if he'd come here is that Gibbs was an Air Coryell disciple who adapted to the team he had when he arrived, a run team. Had he been given a Dan Marino to institute his offense with a consistent signal caller who could air it out...who would have been throwing to Sanders, Clark and Monk with TE's like Didier and Warren? That receiving corps would have made Clayton and the crew in Miami look weak in comparison. I mean our trio of receivers were the first to each catch more than 80 passes in a season with Mark Rypien throwing to them.

But, we could also have seen the same ego get in the way like it did for Hall of Fame coach Don Shula...

Who knows? Fun to speculate though...

Marino in an Air Coryell offense with our running game - Monk, Clark & Sanders would have all had 1,000-yard seasons ever year!

The Superbowl against Miami would have obviously been as-was because neither Green nor Marino was in the league yet.

To not think Gibbs could have maximized our Offense with Marino in a way that surpasses anything Green did with the Defense... I don't get that at all. This was Gibbs V1.0. Our QB's play was the least consistent and most "revolving door" of any position on the team during those years. We'd have been the 49ers with Marino's play... they didn't have Green, either.

For all the talk of Green's affect in the community, just as many people talk about bad run-ins with the guy as good one. The ones with bad run-ins do tend to be more vocal, but I think his involvement is more in the local media eyes than anything else.

Nick

With Marino I think the Redskins would have won two more Super Bowls. Once would have been in. 1984 when Washington lost 23-19 at home as the Bears were able to rush Theismann into mistakes. The release of Marino would have slowed the Chicago blitz.

The other year was 1990 when Washington lost to San Francisco after beating the Eagles on the road in the revenge body bag game.

Montana was the clear difference in that game and severely outplayed Mark Rypien.

An improved Rypien with virtually the same core team won 14 games the next season.

The irony is that the 'super' stats Rypien put up in 1991 and Theismann put up in 1983 were average years for Marino.

I think Marino is the GOAT so yea count me with Om, Boone et al. They'd be renaming the trophy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.