• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins blog - Mike Shanahan Doesn't Want You Tempering Your Expectations

Jimbo

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
You just GOTTA love this!!!

http://blog.redskins.com/2010/07/23...nt-you-tempering-your-expectations/#continued

Writing over at the Redskins.com mothership, Larry Weisman has a wide-ranging interview with new head coach Mike Shanahan to get you ready for next week's launch of training camp. There are a lot of topics covered -- what the coach did with his year off, what it's like working with his son Kyle, the importance of wives to coaching -- but I think this is the money quote:

Q: This town always expects a return to greatness and expects it quickly. Do you have to ask people to dial back their expectations after a 4-12 season and so many changes?

A: "You don't have to temper that. That's what you should expect and that's what the fans should expect. If you don't have that belief, if you don't believe and the fans don't believe, chances are the players aren't going to believe. To go through a season 8-8 in Denver, I didn't want to go out, I didn't want to eat. You're embarrassed because it's your name on the football team. You represent the city and the football team and you don't want to have those tough years."

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Which is all fine and good when you're 0-0. If they go 6-10, however, and all the moves they've made to try to reload on the fly (McNabb, Johnson, Buchanan, et al) rather than scrap the 4-12 disaster they inherted and build from scratch all go kablooey in their faces, they're going to have to answer to Henry.

Just sayin'.

Well, succeed or fail it's the right attitude to have. All great coaches have a couple of things in common; the burning desire to win and enough arrogance to think he has most (or all) of the answers. I want him to have as much or more of a vested interest in the team doing well as any of the fans do. Anything else is a put on.

I just love the fact that he feels he has to hide with an 8-8 record. I think some fans would almost have been giddy to be 8-8 last year. Holding out hope we're closer to returning to Gibbs I rather than Gibbs II.

I have to believe that we Skins fans, especially those of us that remember 83-91 are some of the most unrealistic fans on earth. I'm glad that Shanny not only embraces that, but hopes to exceed it.

The guy has part one down: say the right things. Part two: do it, is a little tougher. I like the attitude though, and I hope it carries over to the guys on the field.

Good Lord in Heaven, is next Thursday EVER gonna get here?!?!?! :tantrum: :)

Which is all fine and good when you're 0-0. If they go 6-10, however, and all the moves they've made to try to reload on the fly (McNabb, Johnson, Buchanan, et al) rather than scrap the 4-12 disaster they inherted and build from scratch all go kablooey in their faces, they're going to have to answer to Henry.

Just sayin'.

My God ... what have I become? :)

... But you are right. :D

I would be happy with 8-8 this year, then see even more improvement the next. In past few years I've had high expectations for this team and everytime been let down. Will back off this year, even though want to believe we will go deep into the playoffs.

Being a homer, every week I will watch or be at FedEx, expecting to us to win. In my heart we will go 19-0.

I couldn't agree more with that post, riggo.

My "official" prediction this year is 7-9. That's a head/curb your enthusiasm pick. My heart, like yours, has us hoisting Lombardi #4.

Nope, not gonna do it.

No sirree, not a chance!

I'm NOT going to get too pumped this year.

I'm with ya HH and riggo, but after so many recent "burns" I'm not going to let my "heart" take over. Not sure I can take another letdown this soon after the last one. Still great attitude though and I would expect nothing else from Shanny. The guy just oozes confidence.

Just sayin'.

yup.

that's the main tension. but the decision was made and the plan executed. at this point all we can do is see how the drama unfolds. since Dallas is the odds on SB favorite...we have a measuring rod in our own division.

me? I think they can turn it around pretty quickly. what I don't know - and won't for another year or two - is whether this is quick strike football or whether there is a longer-term plan to replenish/rebuild the base in order to achieve sustained excellence.

I just love the fact that he feels he has to hide with an 8-8 record. I think some fans would almost have been giddy to be 8-8 last year. Holding out hope we're closer to returning to Gibbs I rather than Gibbs II.

if 8-8 means 2 losses to Dallas and Gints and a split w/Philly...I don't think any fans will be happy.

if 8-8 means 2 losses to Dallas and Gints and a split w/Philly...I don't think any fans will be happy.

I would be majorly disappointed if we went 1-5 in the division and I think Shanahan and the team would be disappointed as well. I just don't see that happening. I think 3-3 is pretty realistic.

I won't be surprised if we rattle off 8-10 wins in Shanahan's inaugural year. There's a certain dynamic with a former head coach of his caliber - everyone *believes*, there's a certain energy level boost, and opposing teams have difficulty game-planning. So I won't be surprised if we have a wildly successful year one given a relatively soft schedule and the above factors. You saw this phenomenon in full view with Rex Ryans initial season with the Jets. I think what happens after year one is far more unpredictable, especially with what seems an odd simultaneous mix of rebuilding while trying to 'win now'.

Color me clueless as to what to expect.

... since Dallas is the odds on SB favorite...we have a measuring rod in our own division.

By who? They will be lucky to win the division this year. They are not even close to the talent of New Orleans, Minnesota and look out for Green Bay to make waves.

So I won't be surprised if we have a wildly successful year one given a relatively soft schedule and the above factors.

Uh...Boone...we've added the Colts, Vikings and Packers....I'm not so sure I'd classify that as relatively soft. :juggle:

I won't be surprised if we rattle off 8-10 wins in Shanahan's inaugural year. There's a certain dynamic with a former head coach of his caliber - everyone *believes*, there's a certain energy level boost, and opposing teams have difficulty game-planning. So I won't be surprised if we have a wildly successful year one given a relatively soft schedule and the above factors. You saw this phenomenon in full view with Rex Ryans initial season with the Jets. I think what happens after year one is far more unpredictable, especially with what seems an odd simultaneous mix of rebuilding while trying to 'win now'.

Color me clueless as to what to expect.

Uh...Boone...we've added the Colts, Vikings and Packers....I'm not so sure I'd classify that as relatively soft. :juggle:

I'm with serv - we had a far softer schedule the past couple seasons. This year is going to be brutal in terms of the competition we're facing!

since Dallas is the odds on SB favorite...we have a measuring rod in our own division.

Where did you see Dallas as the favorites to win the Superbowl? The only odds I've found all have Indianapolis as the favorites with New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego not far behind, with Dallas around 12 to 1.

Only Bodog.com has them close to the favorite, but they are still in a 4-way tie with New Orleans, New York Jets and San Diego at 10 to 1, all trailing Indy at 9 to 1.

If you were making up odds right now you probably would make Dallas the favorite to win the East, almost by default. Every other team in the East is a big question mark.

Will the Eagles youth movement pay off? Will the Giants bounce back? Can Shanahan right the ship here in DC? The Boys have questions just like any other team but I see fewer of them than anyone else in the east, at least at this point. Here’s to seeing them develop a few.

I still think the Vikes (with Favre), Packers and Saints (although I think they caught lightning in a bottle last season) as the early favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Another team or two will definitely emerge, they always do. I hope we’re one of them. I’d probably also watch the Falcons and maybe Carolina (laugh if you want). Someone will have to win the NFC West although I wouldn’t venture a guess as to who at this point.

If you were making up odds right now you probably would make Dallas the favorite to win the East, almost by default. Every other team in the East is a big question mark...

... Someone will have to win the NFC West although I wouldn’t venture a guess as to who at this point.

With Tom Coughlin at the helm, I believe the Giants may be the team to beat. Last year they had so many disruptions. They always seem to have a couple of down years and bounce back. Look for them to make waves in this Division under the leadership of Coughlin.

The Cowgirls will pay for not addressing their offensive line. Their saving grace could be Romo's ability to move around in the pocket. But he can only run so much. He is likely to get pounded this year with his blind side unprotected. With the pass rushing threats within the Division alone, this could mean trouble for Romo. Add to that games against Freeney and the Colts, Titatns and the Bears defenses and he will likely have a tough season.

As far as the West, if half the rookie talent the Niners drafted shows up to add to the run they made with their Veterans at the end of last season, they will likely win the West unless Leinart proves to be the QB he was drafted to be.

Last edited:

True - but those are ALL home games for us. And we also play the Texans, Rams, Bears, Lions, and Bucs, all beatable teams. A winning record in 2010 is not unachievable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.