• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Biggest FA Priority?

What should the Redskins biggest FA priorities be?

• Wide Receiver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nose Tackle

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Offensive Linemen

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Veteran QB

• Linebacker

• Cornerback

• Other (specify)

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Assuming we'll eventually have a compressed, frenetic Free Agency period, what should the Redskins biggest priorities be?

Last edited:
The big uglies - OL

I really think we should sign three or four quality OL. The cap space is there and we should target some young, healthy studs.

Agreed, BB. Given the team's situation, I would always go O and Dline. Since there seems to be more FA options at Oline than NT, I start at Oline.

However, the team should always be looking for young(er) talent at reasonable prices, regardless of position. (I really went out on a limb there, didn't I?)

While O-Line is a bigger need, mainly because we need MORE of them, I'm still VERY concerned about the NT position. We really need a quality NT to make the 3-4 effective. If we don't make a push for Franklin then we're going to have to hope someone currently on the roster is an overachiever. I think our secondary gets toasted if our pass rush and run defense is not much improved over last year.

So hard to pick just one - the Skins were BAD last year. The defense was ugly ugly OOOGLY last season, but the OL may just have been worse. I think that may answer the question for me - defense needs help everywhere, but with some solid OL improvements, the offense just might be decent.

Someone who won't be a bust.

So hard to pick just one - the Skins were BAD last year. The defense was ugly ugly OOOGLY last season, but the OL may just have been worse. I think that may answer the question for me - defense needs help everywhere, but with some solid OL improvements, the offense just might be decent.

And if we upgrade the line, go out and eat chunks off the clock with a solid running game, our defense is automatically better.

Last edited:
I am going to say O-line as well. However, for the last week I have jumped on the Vince Young bandwagon. I know it will not be a popular opinion around these parts, and I kind of feel crazy thinking about it.

Jeff Fischer said some encouraging words about him recently, and I am kind of hoping we end up with him. Jeff Fischer and Shanny are friends, so I could see it happening. I think the Shanny's could take this guy to the next level.

Also, I would rather stay away from Franklin. He will want massive money and will be overpaid due to a weak FA NT class. I prefer to bring in someone a little cheaper like Jenkins and let the youngins learn from him.

I'm for building a real O Line line with solid depth before we think about almost any other issue. Putting any QB behind a line like ours is setting him up for failure, no matter who the QB is.

I am going to say O-line as well. However, for the last week I have jumped on the Vince Young bandwagon. I know it will not be a popular opinion around these parts, and I kind of feel crazy thinking about it.

Jeff Fischer said some encouraging words about him recently, and I am kind of hoping we end up with him. Jeff Fischer and Shanny are friends, so I could see it happening. I think the Shanny's could take this guy to the next level.

Also, I would rather stay away from Franklin. He will want massive money and will be overpaid due to a weak FA NT class. I prefer to bring in someone a little cheaper like Jenkins and let the youngins learn from him.

Just curious, Omni, but what do you liek about VY? He scares me, quite honestly. Seemed to me like he quit on his team when he got benched and besides that, he never has been overly accurate. Kinda like a more mobile, less-accurate McNabb, which was frustrating enough as it was last year.

Just curious, Omni, but what do you liek about VY? He scares me, quite honestly. Seemed to me like he quit on his team when he got benched and besides that, he never has been overly accurate. Kinda like a more mobile, less-accurate McNabb, which was frustrating enough as it was last year.

G., just to play a little devil's advocate here, which would worry you most, say, at the first Redskins possession of the season opener against the Giants, the uncertainty of Vince Young taking the snap or the uncertainty of John Beck taking the snap?

G., just to play a little devil's advocate here, which would worry you most, say, at the first Redskins possession of the season opener against the Giants, the uncertainty of Vince Young taking the snap or the uncertainty of John Beck taking the snap?

I hear ya, and if that is my choice, I would rather have Young. But for some reason (perhaps Boone's eloquent waxings), I feel better about Rex (as a short term QB) than either Beck or VY.

VY (have to be careful not to substitute a K for the V there :)) has never struck me as being very coachable. Just a gut feeling, but the idea that the Shanahans will come in and fix him makes my stomach turn. Rex now has three years in the system, is comfortable and I personally think the best choice.

Unless the Colts and Manning can't come to an agreement, that is.

Unless the Colts and Manning can't come to an agreement, that is.

Now there's what I like to see, pure unadulterated unrealistic hope!

Hey, at least Peyton's used to an less-than-stellar OL.

I'd just like to see Indy for some strange reason not resign Vinatieri. He's a FA and was getting paid about the same as Fat Al, I think. :bucktooth:

I totally understand why you would be worried if we pick him up. In fact, I would have some reservations about it myself. This is more of, if the price is right wish. I do think he may have a future if he gets his head on straight. I know that Titans plan to cut him, but I would even give a low draft pick to secure his services.

If he is acquired, I believe everyone would have a love, hate, love relationship with him.

Career record of 31-18 (I think this is right)

Last year before he was benched/injured in the Skins game he had a 98.6 QB rating. Now that was with only 10 touchdowns in 11 games. Very Campbellish. However, outside of Chris Johnson, has he had any reliable weapons? Kenny Britt is better than anything we have had, but only shows up when he wants to. No TEs to throw to. Nate Washington has been a nice receiver.

We do not have great receivers either. If Moss is resigned, that would give him the best, most consistent receiver he has worked with. Armstrong is alright and Cooley will be a solid target. Hopefully Leonard Hankerson can fill that 'Andre Johnson' void for us.

With our terrible o-line situation, he is someone that can get out and run. Beck, Orton, Grossman, Hasselbeck, etc. cannot. He has great athletic ability. His release is fairly quick. If you watch some of the Youtube highlight vids, he can put the ball into some amazing spaces. However, there are times were he is very inaccurate as well.

Completion % the past two years has only been 59.6 and 58.7. Pretty poor. But, I think that would improve marginally. This is probably his biggest problem. Many Titans fans believe that he could be better in this area if he had some decent weapons.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that our offensive system is better than anything the Titans have ran in recent years. Hopefully the Shanny's can treat him better than Fisher. Titans fans were always complaining about him pulling Vince in and out of games, and ruining consistency.

A lot of this is reminiscent of McNabb, but according to Fisher, Young is very coachable. McNabb is set in his ways. I always go back to how much Plummer improved when he went to the Broncos. It was like night and day. I think the same could happen here. The key word is 'could’.

From the Titans website:

• Has engineered 11 career game-winning performances, leading his team to victory after a fourth-quarter deficit or tie, including six times in 2009. (One was a 99 yard drive against the Cardinals).

• Started the final 10 games of the 2009 season, leading the team to an 8-2 finish after the club began the campaign 0-6. Named to the Pro Bowl after completing 152 of 259 passes for 1,879 yards with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions for a career-high 82.8 passer rating.

Recent quotes from Jeff Fischer. He does not need to say these things. Also he is good friends with Shanny: from: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/07/former-titans-coach-jeff-fisher-believes-qb-vince-young-will-learn-from-mistakes/1

• Keep in mind, he won a lot of games for our organization and led us to the playoffs

• He's certainly got a great deal of ability, and he's a rare athlete, and he's a good teammate. And hopefully he can learn from this experience and get that (next) opportunity

• A lot of the really good quarterbacks had a defining moment, you know where it just got hard on 'em -- it just gets hard -- and I think that's what happened with Vince

• I think he had a defining moment, and it just became overwhelming to him. And I know he's had a chance to step away from it now, and I know he's one that learns from mistakes. If given the opportunity, he'll learn from this past one

I don't think VY is a savior of any kind. But, I think he can hold the spot a lot better than any other available QB right now. We wouldn’t be forced to draft a QB next year, but we could if we wanted to. I think you still pick up a QB in the next draft, but you do not have to give up the farm to get into position to get one. Teams will be less likely to rape you for your picks because you have other options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.