• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins at Giants: The Preview

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For everything you could possibly want to know about the season-opening clash between the Washington Redskins and the New York Giants, click HERE.

(courtesy of the Washington Redskins)

From any kind of rational vantage point, you really can't favor us in NY. I was present covering for another site when they crushed us 36-0 (or something like that) at the Meadowlands, right after I spoke to Jaws who assured me (after I confessed my man-crush for him in vivid detail) 'I think the Skins are going to lay some wood on them!'. We just don't typically play well there.

My heart says 'Skins!' but my head says 'Come on man, you know how it goes up there! - Giants...'

If we win on the road to start 2009...I think that would be a very good sign. I think if we pull it off, it'll be our defense dominating them that makes it happen.

OK, here is my random stat thought: My (possibly faulty) recollection of things is that when we play well against the Giants we have a good year and when we play poorly against them we have a bad year. So to check whether my feelings on this have any merit I looked at the records going back to the beginning of Gibbs I (1981). Here's what I found:

1981 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 8-8
1982 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 8-1, advance to and win the Superbowl
1983 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 14-2, advance to Superbowl but lose.
1984 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 11-5, lose in first round of playoffs
1985 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 10-6, in 3-way tie for NFC East, but don't make the playoffs
1986 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 12-4, lose to Giants in Conference championship.
1987 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 11-4, advance to and win the Superbowl.
1988 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 7-9
1989 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 10-6, 3rd in the NFC East, no playoffs
1990 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 10-6, 2nd in the NFC East, lose in the divisional round of playoffs to SF.
1991 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 14-2, advance to and win the Superbowl
1992 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 9-7, 3rd in NFC East lose in divisional round of playoffs to SF.
1993 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 4-12
1994 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 3-13
1995 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 6-10
1996 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 9-7, 3rd in NFC East
1997 - Tie and Giants win, Redskins 8-7-1
1998 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 6-10
1999 - Beat the Giants twice, Redskins 10-6, lose to TB in division round of playoffs.
2000 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 8-8
2001 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 8-8
2002 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 7-9
2003 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 5-11
2004 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 6-10
2005 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 10-6, lose in divisional round of playoffs to Seattle
2006 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 5-11
2007 - Split with the Giants, Redskins 9-7, lose in first round of playoffs to Seattle
2008 - Giants beat the Redskins twice, Redskins 8-8

In years when the Giants beat the Redskins both times, the Redskins are 77-99 (average 7-9, .438 win percentage) with two playoff appearances in those 11 years.

In years when the Redskins beat the Giants both times, the Redskins are 66-22 (average 11-4, .750 win percentage) with 5 playoff and 4 Superbowl appearances (including 3 SB victories) in those 6 years.

It may not mean anything other than when the Redskins are good they win most of their games (including against the Giants) and advance far in the playoffs. But is sure feels like if they can beat the Giants it bodes well for the season. In fact if this history could be extrapolated to future performance I'd say if we beat the Giants twice this year we've got an excellent shot (better that 66% chance) of getting to the Superbowl and a 50% chance of winning it all.

But, let's take it one game at a time shall we? :)

China, so what I can glean from your post is that if the Redskins beat the Giants twice, the Redskins will win the Super Bowl, right?

Gotcha. Just two more wins to go! Wohoo!

China, so what I can glean from your post is that if the Redskins beat the Giants twice, the Redskins will win the Super Bowl, right?

Gotcha. Just two more wins to go! Wohoo!

Yes, and it is clear now that the Redskins won't be winning the Superbowl this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.