• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins appear to be in the clear for "Bountygate"

Lanky Livingston

Via ESPN:

While the NFL has come down astoundingly hard on the New Orleans Saints for the bounty program involving former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, it does not appear as though the Washington Redskins, who employed Williams as defensive coordinator from 2004-07, are in danger of any kind of penalties themselves. This is from the league's release announcing the discipline against the Saints and Williams, who is now with the Rams:

While NFL staff has interviewed people in connection with public allegations of bounty programs at other clubs, no evidence was established showing that the programs at other clubs involved targeting opposing players or rewarding players for injuring an opponent. Commissioner Goodell emphasized that if additional information is brought to his attention that discloses bounties offered for injuring specific opposing players, he will revisit the matter to consider additional discipline.

When the league's findings of wrongdoing against the Saints and Williams came to light several weeks ago, it was also reported that the league would look into Williams' activity during his time as Washington's defensive coordinator. Some former players came forward and said that yes, there had been bounty programs under Williams in Washington. But it does not appear as though said programs -- at least as far as the league could find -- were as extensive or sinister as what went on in New Orleans.

The statement above does leave open the possibility of sanctions if new information comes to light and there's proof that the Redskins ever offered players financial rewards for injuring players. But for now it certainly looks as though the Redskins will not be caught up in this particular scandal or the resulting discipline.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37313/redskins-in-the-clear-on-bounty-issue

Good news, I hope.

After seeing the Saints getting blasted, having similar piled atop all the other "junk" of the past few off seasons would be hard to take for the Skins.

I wonder if we have been waiting to challenge the cap penalty until this came out? Now we know we won't be penalized I can see us moving forward on cap penalty.

We don't have any more draft choices for the league to take :(
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Me thinks the severity of the hammer lowered on the Saints is also a shot across the bow at us, and the Cowboys, hoping it'll scare us off spanking their ass in court.

Herr Goodell might be saying, "Do it if you want to. But, payback's a bitch!"

Sometime it is best to "let sleeping dogs lie".....i don't think we can gain anything back from what has allready past....if we get the money back we still have missed some key opportunities in the free agency game....yes i will take the money but as for free agency this year.......? But i like what we have done...we just need to Fletcher signed.

The Commish would have a serious revolt on his hands if he penalized the Skins after this insane Cap Crap. That might be enough to convince me to find something else to do on Sunday afternoons. I love me some golf!

The Commish would have a serious revolt on his hands if he penalized the Skins after this insane Cap Crap. That might be enough to convince me to find something else to do on Sunday afternoons. I love me some golf!

I am wondering if this is a threat from the NFL. Challenge our cap penalties, will ya? We're just going to interview some of your former players to see how in depth these bounties were...

I am wondering if this is a threat from the NFL. Challenge our cap penalties, will ya? We're just going to interview some of your former players to see how in depth these bounties were...
Well of course it is. So what? We have them by the nuts on a downhill pull.

Let them try. They still need proof and corroboration of some sort. After John Mara's stupid tirade recently, Snyder and Jones already have actual proof of collusion, so I defy Gooddell to try whatever he can.

Nick

Who are they going to go after?

Vinny? Gone. Joe? Gone. Williams? Already in the penalty box. Blache? Out of football and he put a halt to it as soon as he could. Players? Only Golston and Doughty are left from that era unless Fletch resigns.

It was 4+ years ago under a totally different regime other than Danny and he would have been totally clueless about this sort of thing. Stupid to even consider it.

After John Mara's stupid tirade recently, Snyder and Jones already have actual proof of collusion, so I defy Gooddell to try whatever he can.

Nick

Ain't it great when people run their yaps trying to be all big, only to slowly realize that "anything they say can be used against them in a court of law":)

Vinny? Gone. Joe? Gone. Williams? Already in the penalty box. Blache? Out of football and he put a halt to it as soon as he could. Players? Only Golston and Doughty are left from that era unless Fletch resigns.

It was 4+ years ago under a totally different regime other than Danny and he would have been totally clueless about this sort of thing. Stupid to even consider it.

Not to mention, they would have to go after Buffalo and Tennessee as well.

I think it's the exact opposite - Goodell is going to have to be very careful not to appear to be going after the Redskins as 'retaliation' for them having the balls to challenge his ridiculous stance on enforcing a salary cap in a non-capped year. Short of some stuff that goes way beyond anything that's been hinted so far, I can't see them coming after the Redskins on the bounty front.

I think it's the exact opposite - Goodell is going to have to be very careful not to appear to be going after the Redskins as 'retaliation' for them having the balls to challenge his ridiculous stance on enforcing a salary cap in a non-capped year. Short of some stuff that goes way beyond anything that's been hinted so far, I can't see them coming after the Redskins on the bounty front.

Am I allowed to be paranoid now ? LOL

Why would they be limited to only going after current Redskins ?

If they are gong to penalize the team as a whole, and not an individual who might be a current player, why couldn't they get a confession from a former Redskin, to use against the team ?

Why would they be limited to only going after current Redskins ?

If they are gong to penalize the team as a whole, and not an individual who might be a current player, why couldn't they get a confession from a former Redskin, to use against the team ?
Don't sweat it brother. It ain't gonna happen.

"I can practical' guarantee that."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because your paranoid does not mean they are not after you ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.