• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Ron Rivera as Head Coach

Agreed. But again I would not take a trade where the highest pick is outside of the top 10 because then you are moving away from the sure fire blue chippers we need to build with.

Agreed. But again I would not take a trade where the highest pick is outside of the top 10 because then you are moving away from the sure fire blue chippers we need to build with.

Miami has 5 picks (3 first rounders) in the first 2 rounds, including no. 5 overall. They will want to get ahead of Detroit if Burrow is there.

On a side note, if Tua continues to heal up, they may want to get ahead of Detroit for Tua anyway.

Based on the compensation for moving up for qbs in past drafts (including Griffin in 2012), the Redskins should be looking at recouping an extra #1 this year, a #2 , and a #3 in 2021.

The Dolphins do seem to be a perfect trade partner. They don't have a quarterback unless you count Fitzpatrick at 37. They have a bevy of picks high in the draft and the owner seems motivated to move the program forward after tanking.

The Steelers by the way made a helluva good trade to pick up Minkah Fitzpatrick. Yeah, the comp is a mid #1 but Fitzpatrick was on the all-pro team with TJ Watt and is a nice building block for the future.

Why can't we make moves like this?

We sign Landon Collins for $84M and he played well at times in 2019 but was not the impact player his contract would suggest he would be.

We sign Landon Collins for $84M and he played well at times in 2019 but was not the impact player his contract would suggest he would be.

Collins has definitely been a mild disappointment so far. Two words.

Greg Manusky.

I have high hopes that real DC can produce a scheme that plays to the entire defense's strengths and allows talents like Collins to shine. Plenty of examples of players failing to live up to expectations across the NFL that had far more to do with the scheme and what they were being asked to do than their innate ability.

I see where @fansince62 is coming from.
I get that coaches bring in staff that they are familiar with.

But to this degree ? To this excess ?
And from a repeatedly losing franchise ?

Last edited:
I see where fansince62 is coming from.
I get that coaches bring in staff that they are familiar with.

But to this degree ?
And from a repeated losing franchise ?

Not sure how you define this as a repeated losing franchise. Seems like an up and down franchise where the ups are pretty good and the downs are middle of the road.

Panthers.jpg

Not sure how you define this as a repeated losing franchise. Seems like an up and down franchise where the ups are pretty good and the downs are middle of the road.

Technically I'm correct.
2 losing seasons in a row in the 2 most recent seasons, is a repeated losing franchise.
I can see your argument about their previous winning seasons.
But will the real Panthers please stand up ?

Technically I'm correct.
2 losing seasons in a row in the 2 most recent seasons, is a repeated losing franchise.
I can see your argument about their previous winning seasons.
But will the real Panthers please stand up ?

They lost their most critical player, a franchise QB, who hasn't been healthy for the better part of 3 years. Things don't happen in a vacuum. We should be well familiar how it goes when you don't have good options at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivera's record is not that hard to figure out.

Things started to bottom out after 2015 because Cam Newton's skills started to decline.

The Panthers offense was as dependent upon Newton as Green Bay's has been on Aaron Rodgers.

It was perhaps a twist of sad irony for Rivera that he was finally able to get that franchise 'do it all' back in Christian McCaffrey just as Newton was losing the ability to throw the ball as he once did.

I think part of the reason Rivera is as heated up about the personnel side is that from what I understand HE was the one that wanted to go into free agency and bring in WRs to complement Olsen and Newton and allow Carolina to diversity its offense.

The GM gave them Kelvin Benjamin who was a bust in the draft as a #1 pick.

We know how that feels after the Josh Doctson selection.

Per Ian Rappaport Eric Schaffer is done in DC.

I wasn't in the room but from the NBC Sports Washington blurb Schaffer evidently greeted Rivera with the expectations of a promotion 😆

The team finished 3-13 last year.

Poor Eric, for those guys they need to justify why they should still be here in their current jobs first.

Smart move by Rivera though in that he cuts out a guy in Schaffer that might have had access to the owner if he had stayed based on their chummy relationship.

Rivera wants to eliminate anyone in the building that Snyder would look to for inside news on the team other than the HC.

It's all about who you trust when your back is turned.

Last edited:
To me, these types of changes are the best evidence Snyder has really handed off the reigns. Is it complete, will it last. Stay Tuned.

Per Ian Rappaport Eric Schaffer is done in DC.

I wasn't in the room but from the NBC Sports Washington blurb Schaffer evidently greeted Rivera with the expectations of a promotion 😆

The team finished 3-13 last year.

Poor Eric, for those guys they need to justify why they should still be here in their current jobs first.

Smart move by Rivera though in that he cuts out a guy in Schaffer that might have had access to the owner if he had stayed based on their chummy relationship.

Rivera wants to eliminate anyone in the building that Snyder would look to for inside news on the team other than the HC.

It's all about who you trust when your back is turned.

This kind of thing baffles me.
I don't claim to have insider info on what goes on at RP, but just based on numerous reports, it seems like Schaeffer's reputation has taken a 180 degree turn.
I remember a time when many considered him a very good GM candidate, and was thought of very highly, both inside and outside the organization.
Now, what I'm hearing in a description about him, sounds like the opposite, with him being conveyed as very lacking in FO skills.
I don't think Schaeffer has changed, so somewhere we must be getting wrong info on him.

This kind of thing baffles me.
I don't claim to have insider info on what goes on at RP, but just based on numerous reports, it seems like Schaeffer's reputation has taken a 180 degree turn.
I remember a time when many considered him a very good GM candidate, and was thought of very highly, both inside and outside the organization.
Now, what I'm hearing in a description about him, sounds like the opposite, with him being conveyed as very lacking in FO skills.
I don't think Schaeffer has changed, so somewhere we must be getting wrong info on him.

I haven't ever heard or seen anything negative about Schaffer Fear - what are you referring to? The Redskins not moving him into a more powerful position isn't a slam on him imho. He's not a football guy. He's a number's guy. He was never a real GM candidate for that reason. Folks think Bruce Allen wasn't really a football guy, more of a politician, but he would be considered well-qualified compared to Schaffer. The only folks I've heard proposing he was a future GM were Redskins fans, most of whom couldn't tell you the difference between Eric and Kyle Smith if you held a gun to their heads.

I think this is a smart move. There are lots of good contract guys in the NFL. I would assume Rogers is one of them. I agree with Bulldog that Rivera is surrounding himself who are loyal to HIM and whom he can trust not to go running to or divulge info to Dan Snyder. The more of that we get, the better. I'm honestly surprised that Doug Williams isn't also on the chopping block - as he could be another guy that I'd be keeping a close eye on if I were Rivera due to his long tenure as part of the front office and his loyalty to Snyder. Maybe that's why he will be reporting directly to Rivera in his new role.

One thing we don't seem to know, and that's who has been driving the improvements in our draft decision-making (or at least the perceived improvements). Could Doug Williams have been a strong part of that and maybe that's why he's been spared? No idea. I sure hope that Snyder didn't mandate his retention though.

*Edit* - having read a bit more sounds like Williams is being moved to 'player development' and away from personnel decision-making. Sounds like he'll serve as a 'liaison' between the players and coaching staff? Sort of a weird role if you ask me.

Last edited:
I'm very excited to see what this defense can do with Young, Allen, Payne, and Sweat on the DL with some great players rotating in and playing a lot of snaps in Kerrigan and the Greek. Del Rio has turned bad defenses into tops in the league multiple times, we definitely have the pieces for it.

You don't pass on a player with elite ability in the second most important position on the field. Young can make our defense special and will help out the back end a ton. A dominant defensive line wins championships, just ask the Giants.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Schaffer turned down a contract extension in the fall my thinking was he was planning on leaving in May back then.

I's hard for me to like Schaffer leaving, but I like what it fundamentally implies, that Snyder is completely hands-off and has no buddies in the building.

Call me a traditionalist but I don't consider a lawyer and cap negotiator to be a top candidate for a GM position or anything that touches personnel evaluation.

Schaffer is best known for making Snyder and Cerrato's ridiculous free agent contracts fit under the immediate cap.

If anything he was a genius in helping the dysfunction continue.

Rivera is right to separate the football and administrative sides of the team.

Everyone has their area of expertise and it's best they stay in their lanes.

If you haven't spent time as a scout or personnel director or at the very least a player in the NFL you don't belong in the GM chair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.